Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

GT500 Spoilers - What is the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/14, 09:59 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Darren

Do yoOu have a straight side pic of your car, front to back? I'd like to see how much the GT500 spoiler alters the visual length of a convertible.

Thanks
Old 8/22/14, 10:17 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I don't have an straight on side shots but here's a comparison taken off google images...

Old 8/22/14, 02:52 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is the one being referenced here. Getportfolio is to thank for this:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...poiler-514008/

Now knowing that the AM and CJ GT500 spoilers are both 3dCarbon. You would think that my choice would be clear, and it is clear-er.

Maybe some back story on why a guy who once had a car with 5 TV's, Made his own custom sub box and painted everything under the hood would fear modding his car.
The blue WRX behind my Mustang is a owned by a good friend of mine. He hasn't had it in his possession for more then a few days over the last year. The story about everything that has happened is long but the wrong parts has almost killed the enjoyment he had for this car. Every time he looks at it he sees the flaws.
I don't want to feel that way about my Mustang. That's why I'm making sure I've done everything I can to know what I'm getting before I put it on.
Attached Images  
Old 8/22/14, 05:48 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
CJ- gurney flap will be painted as it comes shipped from 3D even though you order from them
---
Mine from CJPP cam pre-painted, Race Red, with the Gurney Flap remaining BLACK. Similar to OEM. Just the way I wanted it.
Old 8/22/14, 06:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Mine from CJPP cam pre-painted, Race Red, with the Gurney Flap remaining BLACK. Similar to OEM. Just the way I wanted it.
Do you see any waves on the flatter areas of your spoiler?
Old 8/24/14, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a design difference in the two spoilers. The 3D Carbon spoiler comes to more of a point on the corners and sits taller than the OEM spoiler. My son commented that he wants the OEM spoiler because it just doesn't look right having the Gurney Flap molded into the spoiler and just painted to simulate what the OEM spoiler has as a separate part that attaches to the spoiler.
Old 8/24/14, 08:05 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
I don't have an straight on side shots but here's a comparison taken off google images...

Thanks Darren. I like the GT500 spoiler on a GT convertible. It has a more aggressive appearance.

I might consider a new spoiler next year when the credit cards are back to a comfortable balance.
Old 8/24/14, 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmoyer
My son commented that he wants the OEM spoiler because it just doesn't look right having the Gurney Flap molded into the spoiler and just painted to simulate what the OEM spoiler has as a separate part that attaches to the spoiler.
But that's just an aesthetic preference, not a functional difference, right? Or is there more to it than that?
Old 8/24/14, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

My son is 16, so there is no functional difference that he will experience any time soon!!! I would think that the size of the spoiler could have an impact be it positive or negative, I don't know. His and my thought is that it just doesn't look right to have a one piece part painted to look like two piece when trying to replicate something. If 3D Carbon had the Gurney Flap as a separate piece like the OEM spoiler, then that would be a whole 'nother ball game. My son said that it reminds him of someone having plastic chrome hubcap covers to emulate more expensive chrome rims.
Old 8/24/14, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

AM question. It says on their website that the holes will not be covered with the GT premium. What spoiler is on the GT Premium? Pedestal? I have the Gt premium, but have the backup camera, which is a different spoiler.

Thanks
Old 8/24/14, 09:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The GT 500 spoiler covers all holes except for the pedestal style spoiler.

Not sure why they refer to it as premium. I'd call it CS style before that.
Old 8/24/14, 09:43 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Originally Posted by HotFrosty
Do you see any waves on the flatter areas of your spoiler?
---
Nope, no waves.
---
Originally Posted by scottmoyer
There is a design difference in the two spoilers. My son commented that he wants the OEM spoiler because it just doesn't look right having the Gurney Flap molded into the spoiler and just painted to simulate what the OEM spoiler has as a separate part that attaches to the spoiler.
---
Umm...not sure what is being referenced here. My CJPP 3dCarbon pre-painted spoiler is all red on the base, with a black plastic Gurney Flap. The flap appears to be a seperate piece glued on, not the same as the spoiler and just painted black. Side-by-side to an OEM GT500 it is near impossible to tell them apart. Ps: I've done this at my Ford dealer.
---
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
The GT 500 spoiler covers all holes except for the pedestal style spoiler.
Not sure why they refer to it as premium. I'd call it CS style before that.
---
^ This is correct.

Last edited by PJRManagement; 8/24/14 at 09:44 PM.
Old 8/25/14, 07:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobrakev
AM question. It says on their website that the holes will not be covered with the GT premium. What spoiler is on the GT Premium? Pedestal? I have the Gt premium, but have the backup camera, which is a different spoiler.

Thanks
I think your standard one with the back up camera looks like this. Which is the same as no camera so the GT500 Style should cover all holes.

Name:  mystang1.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  110.4 KB

Here is my car with the AM GT500 Style spoiler. If I had known about the different between OEM and AM I'd probably have gone OEM (that's just how I am). However, I'm kind of leaning towards a Saleen wing now but that won't cover all the factory holes I'm sure.

Name:  newspoiler.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  138.6 KB
Old 8/25/14, 09:24 AM
DRB
Bullitt Member

I have the OEM, painted locally, and couldn't be happier with it. Bought it through Auto Nation online.
Old 8/27/14, 10:35 AM
GT Member

Thanks for all the input! It has been a crazy busy week so far.

I got a quote from the body shop nearby and it was $578.99 (Retail) for the spoiler (AR3Z6344210BB) and to have it painted. Now the owner of the body shop and I do some trading and he owes me a little bit from the last thing we did. I was going to cash that in on the stripe I was going to have painted on.

So now the debate is factory spoiler VS aftermarket spoiler and stripe.
I really enjoy this car and I just don't want to mess it up (or do something that takes away from this feeling).
Old 8/27/14, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

That sounds extremely high. I was given a worst case scenario of $150-180 for the paint from the dealer. They also said the cost of the spoiler was $231 (matched Tousley Ford pricing). Is that price including removal of the factory spoiler and installation of the new? Just parts, I get between $380 and $410.
Old 8/27/14, 05:52 PM
GT Member

That was full retail. I haven't been able to talk with the body shop owner yet. However, it's always good to know where you are at in these kind of things.
Old 8/27/14, 07:06 PM
Bullitt Member

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...&model=Mustang
Old 9/3/14, 04:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I could be WAAYY off, but I thought the difference between the OEM GT500 spoiler and the aftermarket was that the OEM gurney flap has some type of adjustability while the aftermarket ones just emulate the appearance of the gurney flap (molded in or glued on)?!? Maybe someone with a GT500 or an OEM replacement can validate or negate my assumption? I have the AM one on my car and the paint matches spot on. I HAD tried to plastidip the gurney flap, but the shallow channel around the molded in gurney flap gave me a headache trying to get a clean paint line edge that my OCD could deal with, so I took it off.
Old 9/3/14, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

The GT500 Gurney Flap is adjustable by replacement. If you want different downforce options, you swap out the flap. That makes the spoiler a two piece spoiler while the AM spoiler is a molded one piece. The AM spoiler has sharper points at the ends where the OEM spoiler is more rounded and smoother looking. The AM spoiler also sits taller than the OEM spoiler.

Quick Reply: GT500 Spoilers - What is the difference?