Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Changing to LED bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/12, 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I bought some lights thru VLEDs to make the switch on interior lights, reverse lights, license plate, and all 4 marker lights. Before the "you wasted money" gets thrown around, the reason for VLEDs was mainly to maintain having 5000k bulbs. Their stuff is all listed accordingly and is pretty spot on, quality is awesome too. Ye other sites are like a guessing game. Plus I'm not trying to be like a ricer with blue/purple all over lol.

Anyway here's some tips:
LP bulbs: Got their 6418 bulbs for the license plate. 5k? Perfect, crisp white. Fitment? Not so great. The led panel is a little to deep and is a tight squeeze. In the end they are in and fit and look great, but it was a tight one and I was nervous about cracking the lens. They were on sale too so not bad.
Reverse: I refused to pay $100 plus for the bulbs that will look like headlights on the as$ of your car lol. Instead I got some 38led surface mount bulbs for 12.99 a pair on sale. Again, I wanted 5k and all the others are blue. Result? Brighter then stock, pure WHITE (although my pics show otherwise) and they actually do light up behind you, and NO glow when off. Tip on the install: the taillights don't come out all the way, even of you were to unplug all the bulbs. There's plastic push pins holding wires to it. I decide to keep everything attached. You can scratch up the bumper if not careful. I actually didn't realize the metal stud on the light was rubbing the paint above where the light goes. I got some scratches and wasn't too happy.
Interior: I got the 2w bulbs most guys get but they were on back order when I bought them.

Ok now for some advice. I have 4 LEDs I got for the markers that were also on sale. But I need some tips on how to remove the lenses. They seem like a PITA. Any tips?

I will post up pics and part #s later, I left them home and I'm on my phone.

Up next is a kit I am putting together for a conversion on the trunk light to led and moving the location of the light.

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 3/19/12 at 03:58 PM.
Old 3/19/12, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get to the markers through the wheel wells.

Do your reverse lights glow when car is off?

Did you do front turn signals?
Old 3/19/12, 12:05 PM
JAJ
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Well I bought some lights thru VLEDs to make the switch on interior lights, reverse lights, license plate, and all 4 marker lights. Before the "you wasted money" gets thrown around, the reason for VLEDs was mainly to maintain having 5000k bulbs. Their stuff is all listed accordingly and is pretty spot on, quality is awesome too. Ye other sites are like a guessing game. Plus I'm not trying to be like a ricer with blue/purple all over lol.

Anyway here's some tips:
LP bulbs: Got their 6418 bulbs for the license plate. 5k? Perfect, crisp white. Fitment? Not so great. The led panel is a little to deep and is a tight squeeze. In the end they are in and fit and look great, but it was a tight one and I was nervous about cracking the lens. They were on sale too so not bad.
Reverse: I refused to pay $100 plus for the bulbs that will look like headlights on the as$ of your car lol. Instead I got some 38led surface mount bulbs for 12.99 a pair on sale. Again, I wanted 5k and all the others are blue. Result? Brighter then stock, pure WHITE (although my pics show otherwise) and they actually do light up behind you. Tip on the install: the taillights don't come out all the way, even of you were to unplug all the bulbs. There's plastic push pins holding wires to it. I decide to keep everything attached. You can scratch up the bumper if not careful. I actually didn't realize the metal stud on the light was rubbing the paint above where the light goes. I got some scratches and wasn't too happy.
Interior: I got the 2w bulbs most guys get but they were on back order when I bought them.

Ok now for some advice. I have 4 LEDs I got for the markers that were also on sale. But I need some tips on how to remove the lenses. They seem like a PITA. Any tips?

I will post up pics and part #s later, I left them home and I'm on my phone.
OK - I'm officially confused. I thought that the rear lights on the 2011-2012 Mustangs were LED's from the factory? Only the forward-facing bulbs are tungsten. What lights are you replacing?
Old 3/19/12, 03:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Get to the markers through the wheel wells.Do your reverse lights glow when car is off? Did you do front turn signals
Sorry forgot to post that. NO glow when off. I pushed my face right up against the lens.
I didn't replace the turn signals. Heard there was issues doing that?! Something with being in the same housing as the headlight.

Originally Posted by JAJ
OK - I'm officially confused. I thought that the rear lights on the 2011-2012 Mustangs were LED's from the factory? Only the forward-facing bulbs are tungsten. What lights are you replacing?
The reverse bulbs are regular halogen. The taillight bulbs are all LED from the factory. I replaced exactly the bulbs that I listed.

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 3/19/12 at 03:50 PM.
Old 3/19/12, 03:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Get to the markers through the wheel wells.
I've read you can pop out the lenses from the outside? Is that true? For the rear anyway..
Old 3/19/12, 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

I've read you can pop out the lenses from the outside? Is that true? For the rear anyway..
It's possible. I would be taking a trim tool to the outside of my car ever though. I would recommend going at it from the wheel well
Old 3/19/12, 05:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sylvania makes perfect 6418 LED bulbs for the license plates on 10-13 models. It requires two of course. Fitment is perfect and so is the lighting. No worries on polarity either. These operate no matter which way they are installed.

Sylvania also makes the 194/168/2825 LED replacement for the map lights for all 09-13 Mustangs and license plate lights on 2009 and earlier Mustangs.
Attached Images  

Last edited by watchdevil; 3/19/12 at 05:39 PM.
Old 3/19/12, 05:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Front markers do not pop out of the bumper fascia. To replace the bulbs you loosen a few hex screws that hold the underbody aeroshield then you can get your hand in there to remove the socket with the bulb.

For the rear markers instructions say to insert a flathead screwdriver (protected with a rag) and pry up on the rear edge of the lamp housing to lift it out.
Old 3/19/12, 06:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah it was the rears I heard can pop out. I'll have to try. The fronts for pop out regardless even if you push from the inside?
Old 3/19/12, 06:24 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah it was the rears I heard can pop out. I'll have to try. The fronts for pop out regardless even if you push from the inside?
No fronts are bolted in from the inside.
Old 3/19/12, 06:30 PM
MJN
GT Member

I wrote one of the reviews on VLEDS about the plate lights with the heat sink not fitting real good, need to get there adj ones for the plate lights im thinking.
Old 3/19/12, 07:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Dang. Wish I knew it was for a mustang. I think the adjustable are only for width adjustment. It's the depth that seems to give trouble. width too but they will go with a little convincing.

What do u have on yours?
Old 3/19/12, 07:58 PM
MJN
GT Member

Dang. Wish I knew it was for a mustang. I think the adjustable are only for width adjustment. It's the depth that seems to give trouble. width too but they will go with a little convincing.

What do u have on yours?
Right but the adj ones don't have the heat sink. I'm using a spare one that fits good and one with the heat sink. so far I have found all the led ones be a bit wider but fit like you say
Old 8/7/12, 09:42 PM

It's entirely possible that there's other circuitry that it's leaking from. Say, the active theft monitors. The current being used for them somehow emits into the LEDs.

Last edited by Anita Fleer; 8/7/12 at 09:44 PM.
Old 8/8/12, 03:01 PM
Cobra R Member

What???
Old 8/8/12, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

LOL
i was like that too when i read that,
i guess she means for the glow you might see?
idk