Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

2 Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/10, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 Questions...

Hi all, *caution* N00B here!

I'm thinking about getting a 2011 GT Premium.... Already plotting the future mods...

*Edit* See Post #6... This isn't gonna work...

If the car I'm looking at already has the auto-dimming rear-view mirror and Shaker 500 stereo (no Nav):
- Can I just buy the Rear-View Camera and install it into the spoiler for it to work, or will some "programming" have to be done to the car for it to work? (Yes, the car I'm looking at already has the standard spoiler on the trunk.)
-Also: Is there a way the inner-most tail lights can be used for "just" brake lights, and NOT flash with the sequential turn-signals? I prefer to have BOTH- steady brake lights, and dedicated turn-signals on a car. Looking at the Workshop Manual, I "might" be able to disconnect the turn-signal wire that leads from the inner brake lights to the flasher module...??

(I'd love to have separate, yellow turn signals, but American cars don't seem to do that too often...)

Last edited by Ronin38; 12/28/10 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Questions answered.
Old 12/28/10, 12:24 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll take a stab at the camera question. I think you will need to buy the camera/spoiler assembly, the rear view mirror and probably the wiring harness to connect it all. The backup camera has its own spoiler that is different from the others. Maybe someone who has done this project will jump in here and confirm this??????????
Old 12/28/10, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin38
If the car I'm looking at already has the auto-dimming rear-view mirror and Shaker 500 stereo (no Nav):
- Can I just buy the Rear-View Camera and install it into the spoiler for it to work, or will some "programming" have to be done to the car for it to work? (Yes, the car I'm looking at already has the standard spoiler on the trunk.)
No

Different mirror
Different spoiler
Missing looms/programming so that it comes on when you shift in reverse.

You're looking at a very expensive retrofit.
Old 12/28/10, 04:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
No

Different mirror
Different spoiler
Missing looms/programming so that it comes on when you shift in reverse.

You're looking at a very expensive retrofit.
Just the Mirror with the Screen in it lists for $895, $335 for the Unpainted Spoiler and then nothing in the car to connect the 2 together.
IMO you would be better off looking at the Aftermarket or find a car that already has the option installed.
Old 12/28/10, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Lightbulb

Hmmm... I'm just wondering if anyone's actually tried it before...

I've been checking in the Workshop Manuals (http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=998&viewfil...o%20Camera.pdf) and I can tell you that the car already has that spoiler and the auto-dimming mirror.

My "theory" is based on typical car-mfr. cost-saving practices... They only make one model of this style of spoiler, one model of auto-dimming mirror, and one wiring harness for the trunk/light areas. I "think" the video would just come on when the auto-trans is put in Reverse, activated by a switch of some kind. Therefore I think all I'd need is the camera part, and the pieces that go with it to mount it in the spoiler.

I'll be out at the dealer again today, so I'll check the spoiler to verify it has the removable panel in the center, and I'll check with the Parts Dept. and see how much the camera and "kit" costs...

IF the numbers work out and I do get the car, if the parts aren't too terribly expensive I may just give it a shot. I'll let you know what I find out.

*Any ideas on the brake lights?
Old 12/28/10, 07:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin38
Hmmm... I'm just wondering if anyone's actually tried it before...

I've been checking in the Workshop Manuals (http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=998&viewfil...o%20Camera.pdf) and I can tell you that the car already has that spoiler and the auto-dimming mirror.

My "theory" is based on typical car-mfr. cost-saving practices... They only make one model of this style of spoiler, one model of auto-dimming mirror, and one wiring harness for the trunk/light areas. I "think" the video would just come on when the auto-trans is put in Reverse, activated by a switch of some kind. Therefore I think all I'd need is the camera part, and the pieces that go with it to mount it in the spoiler.

I'll be out at the dealer again today, so I'll check the spoiler to verify it has the removable panel in the center, and I'll check with the Parts Dept. and see how much the camera and "kit" costs...

IF the numbers work out and I do get the car, if the parts aren't too terribly expensive I may just give it a shot. I'll let you know what I find out.

*Any ideas on the brake lights?
The Spoiler for the Camera is different than the normal GT.

Base GT List for $225 on an online Ford parts site
Base Style Spoiler, GT Style Spoiler, Prime Paint To Match When Color Has Not Been Released For Service, Flush Mount
Camera Spoiler $335 on the same site
GT With Single Rear Wing Spoiler Rear View Camera-Fixed Base ; Camera Included, Prime Paint To Match When Color Has Not Been Released For Service
There are 5 different mirrors listed for the Mustang, and they have lowered the 1 with the Camera Screen in it, it is only $880 now
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr
And do not be fooled by all of them have the same numbers on that page, change 1 letter on the part number and the part changes, and they are showing you 5 of the 9 or 10 characters in the part number.

Pictures of the Spoiler Differences

Stock GT spoiler

Back up Camera

Now I was going to do this on my 2010 right up to the point where it is very possible the Main harness in the car is different between the 2 optioned out cars. Because unless it is hidden somewhere I didn't look, my car does not have the plug in the main harness for the camera harness to be plugged in to. Thus ending my quest for the install of the back up camera.

But on a side note, the hole for the harness to plug in to the Spoiler is in the trunk lid to the right of the second bolt from the left.

As for the Light, the tail light is an integrated item, all the electronics is in the tail light itself, So I know not what would happen if you tried your mod to it.

Last edited by Siber Express; 12/28/10 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12/28/10, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

^ Thank you for all the detailed information! That's just what I needed to know.

Guess I'll shelve that plan, and move on to my next attempt at world domination...