Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

'13 style tails plasti-dip on '12

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/12, 06:24 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NIGHT PICS SHOULD BE TAKEN IN ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO. Sucks having to wait for the sun to go down. :/
Old 7/3/12, 07:50 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subbed! Looks awesome man! Let us know what it would cost for vinyls because this is definitely a great mod. There really should be a plastidip section for the threads here. I think it turned out great, id be willing to do this on my white sixxer with a blackout for the decklid. Again, keep us posted!
Old 7/3/12, 08:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I have to say, that's pretty innovative of you. Hope the vinyl doesn't cost too much and you make a little dough off of this!
Old 7/3/12, 08:31 PM
Cobra Member

So these pics have all been with my phone, so it wouldn't really focus, and they don't do them justice at all. It is very crisp, and give a ton of light out. Unless you know the spacing of a 13', you wouldn't know the difference. Love them. Definitely going vinyl though, there is still a little light bleeding through.
Attached Thumbnails '13 style tails plasti-dip on '12-image-504574563.jpg   '13 style tails plasti-dip on '12-image-2228563163.jpg   '13 style tails plasti-dip on '12-image-2783149471.jpg   '13 style tails plasti-dip on '12-image-682621967.jpg  
Old 7/3/12, 08:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Great idea for a modification.

I've seen a number of people on different forums trying the Plasti-Dip. Have you considered using VHT nite-shade? The advantage of the nite-shade is that it covers enough to look black but still lets light through if done with only a few coats.

If done the right way, you won't lose the reflectiveness of the tail lights so you don't get hassled by johnny law.
Old 7/3/12, 08:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Yeah, I guess it's just the phone, but that looks like a ton is bleeding through.
Old 7/3/12, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
Great idea for a modification.

I've seen a number of people on different forums trying the Plasti-Dip. Have you considered using VHT nite-shade? The advantage of the nite-shade is that it covers enough to look black but still lets light through if done with only a few coats.

If done the right way, you won't lose the reflectiveness of the tail lights so you don't get hassled by johnny law.
I'm not spraying at all where the light comes through. Only the rest. The reason I like plasti-dip is because it'll just peel right off if I don't want it anymore. I've never heard of nite-shade, so I'm not familiar with it.
Old 7/3/12, 08:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Yeah, I guess it's just the phone, but that looks like a ton is bleeding through.
There is very minimal light coming through, only noticeable about 6" away from it. (little specks where the plasti-dip didn't seal from layer to layer)
This is only temporary, like I've said I'm hoping to go vinyl soon. I just wanted to see this on the car. Everyone in my town that has seen it loves it. Including a couple of other stang enthusiast!
Old 7/3/12, 09:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by theACE
I think it is lame, but eh.

You have more skills than me, so you get points there.
So is putting "Boss" on a V6(but your car still looks good!).
Old 7/3/12, 10:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by youngstang90
So these pics have all been with my phone, so it wouldn't really focus, and they don't do them justice at all. It is very crisp, and give a ton of light out. Unless you know the spacing of a 13', you wouldn't know the difference. Love them. Definitely going vinyl though, there is still a little light bleeding through.
Looks cool! I was thinking about getting the tail light tint anyways but I might get this instead. Let us know.
Old 7/3/12, 10:38 PM
Cobra Member

I'm going first thing tomorrow to get an estimate on cost to produce these. I'm planning on keeping cost to a minimal, so I'll keep everyone posted!
Old 7/5/12, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

Turns out yesterday way the 4th of July, and everyone was closed. Lol
Going today to try and find a place.
Old 7/5/12, 11:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Thomas S
So is putting "Boss" on a V6(but your car still looks good!).
haha just because it doesn't appeal me, does not mean it is not cool.

I don't pay his car note, as long as he doesn't do under glow or Chevy emblems on it...I won't spam about it.
Old 7/10/12, 04:48 PM
Cobra Member

I went today....I'm going to start producing these and planning on having them ready by next week. Price as of right now looks like somewhere between $40-$80 for the set depending on what grade vinyl I use. I'm also looking into making combo kits consisting of the taillight overlays, and the trim pieces as these overlays won't cover the very edge just like the tint doesn't cover the sides. If I do that then obviously the cost would be quite a bit more, but you'd be getting both products.

I will be starting a thread to get everyone who is interested to let me know. I'm thinking I'll just request PMs and make my list of who wants them for now. Eventually I will probably make a website in order to take in orders.
Old 7/10/12, 05:24 PM
FR500 Member

I went today....I'm going to start producing these and planning on having them ready by next week. Price as of right now looks like somewhere between $40-$80 for the set depending on what grade vinyl I use. I'm also looking into making combo kits consisting of the taillight overlays, and the trim pieces as these overlays won't cover the very edge just like the tint doesn't cover the sides. If I do that then obviously the cost would be quite a bit more, but you'd be getting both products.

I will be starting a thread to get everyone who is interested to let me know. I'm thinking I'll just request PMs and make my list of who wants them for now. Eventually I will probably make a website in order to take in orders.
Nice man, really looking forward to the vinyl designs. Any chance you could get pics of both designs? Id like to know which option before pruchasing
Old 7/10/12, 05:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CCTking

Nice man, really looking forward to the vinyl designs. Any chance you could get pics of both designs? Id like to know which option before pruchasing
Do you mean the CarbonFiber and Regular black?

Last edited by youngstang90; 7/10/12 at 05:42 PM.
Old 7/10/12, 06:38 PM
V6 Member

Cool, I'm definitely interested. I'd love to see the finished vinyl product on your car.
Old 7/10/12, 07:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mustangmikeFL

Cool, I'm definitely interested. I'd love to see the finished vinyl product on your car.
Should have first vinyl overlay done tomorrow or Thursday.
Old 7/10/12, 09:06 PM
FR500 Member

Do you mean the CarbonFiber and Regular black?
Regular black. Didnt see that u said CF, vinyls too. Anyway definitely interested so ill be checkin out pics!
Old 7/10/12, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

do you know how many people are going to copy your idea and probably pay less than what you are going to sell them for... Just keep that in mind! vinyl is cheap and easy to use and do your exact idea.. just keep it a novilty and don't try and make a job or profit from it!

Quick Reply: '13 style tails plasti-dip on '12