Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

What mods void the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/12, 11:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What mods void the warranty?

It's a stupid question once you think about it since you're modifying the software and hardware of cars, but I've heard if you let the dealer install the tune to the car ( if that's even possible ) then it's ok or that only an axleback is allowed so it doesn't void any warranties.

Which are true and what can you do to without voiding the warranty ?

Thanks !
Old 8/26/12, 02:37 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
tune voids warranty. Even if the dealer installs the tune it voids the warranty. Any part you replace with after market voids the warranty for the stock part. Example.. if you put on springs it voids the spring warranty and brake warranty. Its all in the owners info that comes with the car.

putting on axle backs voids the warranty for the stock mufflers.
Old 8/26/12, 06:26 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No part or tune voids any warranty unless it was the cause of the problem you are trying to get warrantied.
Old 8/26/12, 10:03 AM
Banned

Alright I had a bama tune, CAI, headers, h pipe, and axleback planned but now I will play it safe with only the axleback for a while then

Thanks!
Old 8/26/12, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Check out the Magnuson-Moss Act.

The condensed version is: If a defect is caused by an aftermarket part, the repair for the defect may not be covered under warranty. The burden of proof is on the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part led to the failure. For example, if you burn a hole in a piston, and the only mod you have is a CAI, the burden of proof is on the dealer to prove that the CAI caused the piston failure. If they can prove it, the repair won't be covered under warranty. By the same token, if you have a power window failure, a shock absorber failure, or a clutch failure, they would have to cover those under warranty since installing a CAI has no bearing on those components. And, contrary to urban myth, a dealer cannot cancel your warranty. The warranty is provided by Ford motor company, not the dealer. Under extreme circumstances, the factory may instruct the dealer that it's voiding the powertrain warranty, but they cannot void the entire vehicle warranty because of installation of an aftermarket part.

In reality, a lot depends on your dealer, the rapport you have with them, and how mod-friendly they are. But even then, they can only go so far. They have rules and policies to abide by as well. So you make your mods and you take your chances, or wait until the warranty runs out.

Last edited by JonW; 8/28/12 at 07:23 PM.
Old 8/26/12, 11:36 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

The tsb thats out about ecu flashing will void the warranty if a tune is found.. the moss act is a nice tool about requires a lawyer and a court chase to enforce. A dealer can deny a claim and simply say check the owners book for the mod agreement(which everyone should read).

I have lemon lawed a car back to the maker not to long ago. it took 13 months and a large firm.
Old 8/26/12, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JonW
Check out the Magnuson-Moss Act.

The condensed version is: If a defect is caused by an aftermarket part, the repair for the defect may not be covered under warranty. The burden of proof is on the dealer to prove that the aftermarket part led to the failure. For example, if you burn a hole in a piston, and the only mod you have is a CAI, the burden of proof is on the dealer to prove that the CAI caused the piston failure. If they can prove it, the repair won't be covered under warranty. By the same token, if you have a power window failure, a shock absorber failure, or a clutch failure, they would have to cover those under warranty since installing a CAI has no bearing on those components. And, contrary to urban myth, a dealer cannot cancel your warranty. The warranty is provided by Chrysler corporation, not the dealer. Under extreme circumstances, the factory may instruct the dealer that it's voiding the powertrain warranty, but they cannot void the entire vehicle warranty because of installation of an aftermarket part.

In reality, a lot depends on your dealer, the rapport you have with them, and how mod-friendly they are. But even then, they can only go so far. They have rules and policies to abide by as well. So you make your mods and you take your chances, or wait until the warranty runs out.
Thanks for the info, does that mean I can go to any ford dealer in the area and not the one I purchased the car at?
Old 8/26/12, 01:14 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

you never have to go to any location for work on the car or service. Any and all dealer have to give you service. But not all dealers are equal and not all are as ok with mods as others.
Old 8/28/12, 06:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
".......The warranty is provided by Chrysler corporation, not the dealer"

Chrysler covers the warranty on our Mustangs? Gee, no wonder folks have trouble at times getting their Mustangs repaired!
Old 8/28/12, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
".......The warranty is provided by Chrysler corporation, not the dealer"

Chrysler covers the warranty on our Mustangs? Gee, no wonder folks have trouble at times getting their Mustangs repaired!
Oops.... can you tell I was on the Challenger board before I came over to this one.
Old 8/28/12, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mopar?
It's a stupid question once you think about it since you're modifying the software and hardware of cars, but I've heard if you let the dealer install the tune to the car ( if that's even possible ) then it's ok or that only an axleback is allowed so it doesn't void any warranties.

Which are true and what can you do to without voiding the warranty ?

Thanks !
washing your car with non approved soap can void your power train.
Old 8/29/12, 01:05 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

dont give them ideas!!!!!
Old 12/23/12, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Flagstang
you never have to go to any location for work on the car or service. Any and all dealer have to give you service. But not all dealers are equal and not all are as ok with mods as others.
Im always going out of town to where im buying my car cuz I love this dealer and the one in my city breaks wind..