'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

V6 Tune Questions

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/14, 07:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit

It's a pony car :P
My wifes 2005 Mazda MPV mini van can and has obtained higher speeds than the PONY car 112 limiter.
Old 9/6/14, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

My wifes 2005 Mazda MPV mini van can and has obtained higher speeds than the PONY car 112 limiter.
I can imagine.

My buddy had a new Mazda 5 rental a few weeks ago and it topped out at about 120mph. Ford should have just put the same driveshaft as the GT and maybe limited the V6 to something like 130-140mph. That would have made more sense. The V6 obviously has the power to reach it. It's not like the GT driveshaft is anything special, and I don't think it would have impacted the mileage much, if any.

I just wanted to yank his chain because of the whole "muscle/pony" debate
Old 9/6/14, 07:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can imagine.

My buddy had a new Mazda 5 rental a few weeks ago and it topped out at about 120mph. Ford should have just put the same driveshaft as the GT and maybe limited the V6 to something like 130-140mph. That would have made more sense. The V6 obviously has the power to reach it. It's not like the GT driveshaft is anything special, and I don't think it would have impacted the mileage much, if any.

I know you did bro. .,yank away. I laughed. I totally agree about the speed limiter should be raised by ford and a better driveshaft given.
Old 9/6/14, 10:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I can imagine. My buddy had a new Mazda 5 rental a few weeks ago and it topped out at about 120mph. Ford should have just put the same driveshaft as the GT and maybe limited the V6 to something like 130-140mph. That would have made more sense. The V6 obviously has the power to reach it. It's not like the GT driveshaft is anything special, and I don't think it would have impacted the mileage much, if any. I just wanted to yank his chain because of the whole "muscle/pony" debate
Actually in the 2015, I expect the EB cars to be limited to 130, GT to 155. That's how it usually is with base/high-po cars in Europe...
Old 9/10/14, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can imagine.

The drive shaft in the V6 is how you get that good highway mpg. Putting the GT drive shaft in the car would drop your mpg. I don't know by how much but I'm guessing 3 to 5 mpg anyway. Not that I disagree with your idea, but just explaining why Ford went with the different drive shaft. It was all about touting the better mpg.
Old 4/30/15, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm going to revive this thread ( thanks to Patrick for reminding me about it!)

Hey Joey, did you ever end up getting that Steeda tune? or any tune? I'd be interested in getting your feedback based on your experience.
Old 4/30/15, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010
The drive shaft in the V6 is how you get that good highway mpg. Putting the GT drive shaft in the car would drop your mpg. I don't know by how much but I'm guessing 3 to 5 mpg anyway. Not that I disagree with your idea, but just explaining why Ford went with the different drive shaft. It was all about touting the better mpg.
Could you explain how the drive shaft affects MPG. It doesn't change the gearing so I don't understand how it could make a difference. I do agree I wish they had put in the GT shaft and not limited top end.
Old 4/30/15, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tukatz
Could you explain how the drive shaft affects MPG. It doesn't change the gearing so I don't understand how it could make a difference. I do agree I wish they had put in the GT shaft and not limited top end.

Not unless he gets unbanned
Old 4/30/15, 12:43 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
The only way I could see the drive shaft impacting economy would be a heavier unit causing a drop because of the greater rotating mass.
Old 4/30/15, 02:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I'm going to revive this thread ( thanks to Patrick for reminding me about it!)

Hey Joey, did you ever end up getting that Steeda tune? or any tune? I'd be interested in getting your feedback based on your experience.
I have both a Steeda and Redliners tune. I usually use the Redliners as I like the throttle response better then the Steeda tune. I have both a race and performance tune from Redliners, the perf tune was very much like Steeda, the race tune offered significantly better throttle response.

Either way, all three tunes are good.
Old 7/9/15, 06:27 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPT tunes get a lot of hype
Old 7/10/15, 09:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I can imagine.

A shaft Like the two piece in the GT would likely work. The GT shaft is a different length. Trans sits a bit more forward in a V-6. If I remember correctly, about 30MM.
Old 7/10/15, 09:10 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for warranty purposes why not keep the stock ECU and replace it with a flashed one?