Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

V6 - Supercharge? Turbocharge?

Old 5/30/14, 11:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
V6 - Supercharge? Turbocharge?

Has anyone done a supercharger or turbocharged their Mustangs sporting a V6 engine?

Okay... I know a lot of people may say - Don't bother, get a GT etc....

my thinking is that the price difference between the loaded V6 I have coming to me and a GT was about 12-13k difference.

That would be more than enough to turbocharge a well equipped V6 and have enough power to spank a GT (non-supercharged of course) and still be around the same price range of what it would cost to get into a GT anyways.

I know that GT owners use 91+ octane where as V6 owners run 87 Octane (manufacturers guidelines)

if a V6 was supercharged, would you be required to up the gas quality and go with 91?

This thread is supposed to be for fun
Old 5/30/14, 11:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes. If you can even run 93 octane. My blown GT runs on 93. Also the GT's base can run on 87. Anything more is useless without the proper tune to go along with it.

I can't speak on how much the v6 engine can handle which is something you might want to look into. But its your car if you get the itch for some boost, I say do it.
Old 5/30/14, 07:57 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the Hellion turbo on my 2013 and have to say that it has a lot of power, unfortunately, with the first WOT run after tuning we broke something in the upper part of the engine (pretty sure we have an intake valve spring that is twisted or compressed) No damage to the pistons but can't drive the car until I can fix this issue. It could have been an overboost situation or a boost spike that compromised the intake spring

The only supercharger available is the Procharger. No one has successfully found a way to mount a roots type supercharger on the 3.7 yet.
Old 5/30/14, 08:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
Has anyone done a supercharger or turbocharged their Mustangs sporting a V6 engine?

Okay... I know a lot of people may say - Don't bother, get a GT etc....

my thinking is that the price difference between the loaded V6 I have coming to me and a GT was about 12-13k difference.

That would be more than enough to turbocharge a well equipped V6 and have enough power to spank a GT (non-supercharged of course) and still be around the same price range of what it would cost to get into a GT anyways.

I know that GT owners use 91+ octane where as V6 owners run 87 Octane (manufacturers guidelines)

if a V6 was supercharged, would you be required to up the gas quality and go with 91?

This thread is supposed to be for fun
There has been a bunch of V6 enthusiasts who have supercharged their 3.7. If I were to do anything I personally would choose the pro charger supercharger. It runs on 8 pounds of boost and should easily get you 400 plus rwhp on the 8 pounds boost. Our 3.7 engine can safely handle 450 rwhp on factory internals before forging is needed.

Some people will say just buy the 5.0 for the better platform. Having a sleeper 3.7 would be bad a$$. You will catch many V8 muscle car enthusiasts off guard and either put a beat down on them or hang with them a lot closer than they first thought, even if they beat you. Me personally would rather have a supercharged 3.7 over a 5.0 because its not common like the 5.0's.

Baiting the V8 muscle car in and then putting a spanking on them is super sweet and even more sweet when they find out its a V6 that just b otch slapped them. Ha ha ha!

I like the pro charger style in the fact that no boost is made on the engine during normal driving operations so no stress is being put on the engine. You can drive all day long and as long as one stays under 4k rpm's , you wouldn't even know its supercharged. Now hit 4k rpm's and watch the magic happen. Hold on.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 5/30/14 at 08:25 PM.
Old 5/31/14, 09:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say ive highly considered this route as well. V6 is lighter and cheeper from the start, but now I just think the GT would be all I need. As it is the V6 looks exactly like the GT and most people I run into always think that I have a GT anyway. Not sure why, It doesn't sound like one. Most people just don't know. Almost all Camaro or Challenger owners have no clue to begin with (otherwise they'd be driving Mustangs...LoL). Anyways to me a sleeper V6 is useless if 80% think your a GT anyway. There's no thrill in that for me. That's just my opinion
Old 5/31/14, 09:24 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah - I found a shop that works only on Mustangs and can do custom tunes and does everything you can imagine to the mustang. I've been looking around to see if there's a shop like that closer to me than this place. they are probably around 200km away from me which is a good distance to go...

On the other hand, i've really only ever driven 4 bangers and getting into this six which has 305HP, that's more than double the power I was used to with my Elantra hehehehe! it will be something different to drive, for sure!

I plan on keeping this car for a long time and would love to do some serious mods to it, if i can commit to it and keep it as a summer driven car only.

I would love to own a GT. price, Insurance was definitely a deal breaker for me. insurance wasn't THAT much more, but it was enough to not consider it.

anyone whom knows anything about mustangs would know that if the 5.0 badges aren't on the fenders, its not a GT

but yeah, i do agree. a lot of mustangs on the roads are very similar to one another. its always about what's under the hood that makes the difference
Old 6/4/14, 05:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
@ OP. Our sixxers don't have 305 at the wheels. It is around 255ish according to my dyno sheets.

Unless something unforeseen happens in my life, I should have my V6 Procharged before winter of this year. I wanted to get it in last year but life got in the way. My local speed shop will be doing the install and the tune since they are a procharger dealer. Ill post up pics and sheets when it is completed.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 6/4/14 at 05:57 AM.
Old 6/4/14, 06:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by V6 Driver
@ OP. Our sixxers don't have 305 at the wheels. It is around 255ish according to my dyno sheets.

Unless something unforeseen happens in my life, I should have my V6 Procharged before winter of this year. I wanted to get it in last year but life got in the way. My local speed shop will be doing the install and the tune since they are a procharger dealer. Ill post up pics and sheets when it is completed.

I wish they they had that much at the wheels as well! with minor mods, I'm sure that it could translate to more power to the wheels with certain things done.

Please keep me posted with your progress! I may do this as well, after I've paid this car off and by that point, I'll have a better idea if i want to continue to drive this car all year round or start modding it and store it in the winter season.