Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Ram Aluminum Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/14, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram Aluminum Flywheel

Alright so i finally got tired of the annoying decel vibrations and ive been having some problems shifting. so i decided to try replacing the clutch and flywheel. well im sure glad i decided to get it after seeing how massive the stock one is. being a dual mass flywheel its going to be heavy but i didnt realize just how heavy it would be. the ram one is around 3 times thinner than the stock one and is much much lighter. i have attached some pics so you can see the difference in the stock and the ram one. im currently not done with the install yet because i didnt realize i had to get new fly wheel to crank bolts since the stock ones are way to long for the new flywheel. i ended up having to drive 2 hours one way to pick them up. i bought them for a 04 cobra mustang, ram said thats what i need but ill find out tomorrow when i try them out. the transmission removal is extremely simple on these cars. within a hour and a half it was on the floor and the stock flywheel and clutch were off.

the first picture shows all the stock parts next to the new parts. the clutch im using is the spec stage 1 clutch.

the second picture is the stock flywheel on the bottom and the ram flywheel on the top. notice how much thicker the stock dual mass one is.

the third picture is the stock on top and ram on the bottom.

the last picture is showing the part number for the bolts that i had to get. i still havent tested to see if they are right but im doing that first thing tomorrow morning. thats what ram told me i needed though.
Attached Thumbnails Ram Aluminum Flywheel-imag0830_zpsa26ad9b5.jpg   Ram Aluminum Flywheel-imag0831_zps983e42bb.jpg   Ram Aluminum Flywheel-imag0829_zps92f29a22.jpg   Ram Aluminum Flywheel-imag0833_zpseee00a6b.jpg  
Old 6/5/14, 12:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Update:
i installed everything and bolted the trans back in and never even though to check the 'preload' on the throwout bearing. with the ram flywheel being about 3/4 of a inch thinner than the stock when i went to press the clutch in it pushed the throwout bearing off of the shaft. after calling ram i found out that they make a 3/4 inch spacer to go behind the throw out bearing and it comes with their clutch. since i ordered a spec clutch i never received the spacer. now im ordering the ram clutch kit and im going to probably sell the spec one if they wont let me return it. thats another $400 i have to spend on the ram clutch and a new throw out bearing.
Old 6/5/14, 12:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
Update:
i installed everything and bolted the trans back in and never even though to check the 'preload' on the throwout bearing. with the ram flywheel being about 3/4 of a inch thinner than the stock when i went to press the clutch in it pushed the throwout bearing off of the shaft. after calling ram i found out that they make a 3/4 inch spacer to go behind the throw out bearing and it comes with their clutch. since i ordered a spec clutch i never received the spacer. now im ordering the ram clutch kit and im going to probably sell the spec one if they wont let me return it. thats another $400 i have to spend on the ram clutch and a new throw out bearing.
I'm a bit of a noob on transmissions. Can you provide a resource on throwout bearings so I can understand what happened? Why can't you get just a spacer to go with the spec clutch?
Old 6/5/14, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by spqr
I'm a bit of a noob on transmissions. Can you provide a resource on throwout bearings so I can understand what happened? Why can't you get just a spacer to go with the spec clutch?
i could buy the 3/4 spacer from ram but im not sure if the spec and ram clutches are the same thickness. ram was unsure of that also. theres a way to measure to see what thickness one i would need but it would be easier for me to just get the ram clutch and know i have the right size one since ram did all of the measuring themselves for it. ill take some more pictures when i get to work on it again on monday so that you can sorta see what im talking about. i wish that they send the spacer with the flywheel or at least a warning to state that you need the spacer for it or else you have to buy a $350 throwout bearing from ford.
Old 6/5/14, 04:05 PM
GT Member

i could buy the 3/4 spacer from ram but im not sure if the spec and ram clutches are the same thickness. ram was unsure of that also. theres a way to measure to see what thickness one i would need but it would be easier for me to just get the ram clutch and know i have the right size one since ram did all of the measuring themselves for it. ill take some more pictures when i get to work on it again on monday so that you can sorta see what im talking about. i wish that they send the spacer with the flywheel or at least a warning to state that you need the spacer for it or else you have to buy a $350 throwout bearing from ford.
Thanks!
Old 6/9/14, 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

heres a pic of the old broke one next to the new one. the thing below the spring is the piston that got pushed off the shaft. it was a $400 mistake by not researching and finding out that i needed the spacer but i guess yall with learn from my mistake.
Name:  IMAG0838_zps5c019e18.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  132.5 KB
Old 6/9/14, 07:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
So did you get it all installed yet? Did you get an upgraded clutch line while you have everything apart?

I'm still trying to find someone besides the dealer that can do the crank relearn
Old 6/10/14, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
So did you get it all installed yet? Did you get an upgraded clutch line while you have everything apart?

I'm still trying to find someone besides the dealer that can do the crank relearn
the correct clutch and the throw out bearing spacer just came in 5 mins ago. im going to put it all back together tomorrow morning. i did get a stainless clutch line. i honestly dont think the clutch line will make a difference though. and just bring it to me and ill do the crank relearn for you.
Old 6/10/14, 01:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Cool, I'm eager to hear how it all works for you.

Assuming you're in South Caroline, it'd be one hell of a drive for me (I'm in Michigan)...
Old 6/10/14, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cool, I'm eager to hear how it all works for you.

Assuming you're in South Caroline, it'd be one hell of a drive for me (I'm in Michigan)...
you might not even need it. when i had the spec clutch on and drove it around the parking lot i didnt have a check engine light and it wasing missing. i took the reluctor ring completely off too but i made sure i put it back on the way i took it off. it can go one 2 different ways. ill only be able to work on it until tomorrow around lunch so i hope ill be able to get it done tomorrow.
Old 6/10/14, 01:30 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i wish that they send the spacer with the flywheel or at least a warning to state that you need the spacer for it or else you have to buy a $350 throwout bearing from ford.
Definitely!
Old 6/11/14, 08:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for posting this. It's definitely been informative. I too am always eager to learn from other peoples experiences and mistakes (unfortunately)

I'm also always on the lookout for a local shop (other than dealerships) that are good and very familiar with the cars I drive.

It would be ideal with just doing it yourself, but I'm just not comfortable with ripping apart my car to this extent. swapping tires / brakes and few other bolt on style types of repairs is where my comfort zone is at.
Old 6/11/14, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

its all back together now and i still havent had to do the crank relearn. no check engine light or miss fire. i guess you only need to do it if you take it off and put it back on a different way. there are two ways you can put it back on. i just indexed it and made sure i kept it the way it came off.
Old 8/3/14, 10:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What's the update? ! Id love to know how it's all working.

Last edited by Fintile; 8/4/14 at 07:23 AM.
Old 8/10/14, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fintile
What's the update? ! Id love to know how it's all working.
its working pretty good. it does make it easier to launch the car on street tires which is what i wanted and also there is a noticeable difference in power. it completely got rid of the decel vibrations. im going to put either 315 or 305 nt555r tires on and then im going to go back to the track and see what the time improvement is.
Old 8/10/14, 12:50 PM
Cobra R Member

How much additional noise is there? Any issue driving in traffic or anything?
Old 9/3/14, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

How much additional noise is there? Any issue driving in traffic or anything?
i didnt notice a bit more noise. and driving is about like stock as far at clutch engagement which really surprised me. i was expecting it to be harder to engage smoothly.
Old 6/22/15, 08:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

its working pretty good. it does make it easier to launch the car on street tires which is what i wanted and also there is a noticeable difference in power. it completely got rid of the decel vibrations. im going to put either 315 or 305 nt555r tires on and then im going to go back to the track and see what the time improvement is.
****, long time. Good to hear it went well. So it defiantly make a noticeable improvement on accel as well as reducing the vibration? Hows the accel on hwy. smoother transition into 1st when street driving?