Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Procharge?

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/12, 01:04 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Procharge?

Anyone on here procharge their sixxer? If so what are your thougts about the system and reliability? Really curious about this mod! Also any other mods like driveshaft, exhaust, or intake would be awesome too!
Old 6/20/12, 01:10 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Don't do it brother. Upgrade to a GT before you spend that much modding the sixer. Just ain't worth it man.
Old 6/20/12, 01:22 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Don't do it brother. Upgrade to a GT before you spend that much modding the sixer. Just ain't worth it man.
+1,000,000

Please listen to us. We are trying to save you $$$$
Old 6/20/12, 02:22 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just been curious about it. The insurance premium is what keepin me out of the gt for now but i should be in hape to nab one for the new 15 redesign. Or maybe the 16 MY
Old 6/20/12, 02:26 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are so full of poo!

I think you guys are just worried about being embarrassed by a V6 blowing your doors off.

Been quite a few very successful 2011+ V6 ProCharger installs.

American Muscle's car is running in the 11's and CFM Performance is knocking on the 10 second door if they haven't already made it in.

They're plenty reliable and when you drive them easy they still get V6 economy.
Old 6/20/12, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

What are the drawbacks exactly? With a procharger application one could argue a nominal increase in HP and Torque that "could" rival a N/A V8 carrying a heftier price tag both in MSRP and power adder applications? What's been your experiences with forced-induction and less than 8 cylinders sir? You've got the mechanic background and I'd like to hear your insight.
Old 6/20/12, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
You guys are so full of poo!

I think you guys are just worried about being embarrassed by a V6 blowing your doors off.

Been quite a few very successful 2011+ V6 ProCharger installs.

American Muscle's car is running in the 11's and CFM Performance is knocking on the 10 second door if they haven't already made it in.

They're plenty reliable and when you drive them easy they still get V6 economy.
You do realize that an outfit like American Muscle has endless parts suppliers and for them to outfit a car with aftermarket parts and tuning really only boils down to "man hours", right? Slap the same upgrades and bolt-ons to a V8 and it's commonsense that it's going to produce higher power ratings, right? One could argue that to get the same power output as a V8, it "could" take more money to do so? There's a kid here in town running around in a 94 Acura Integra (http://bacdesigns.biz/ts10/?tag=english-racing) putting down 600-700 whp, running 11's in the 1/4. The guy has dropped a TON of coin to do it but because he works for the shop in that link, it's probably only a fraction of the out of pocket cost someone in town like "me" would pay for the same setup.

Just because a V6 from a shop can run a time or put down certain power numbers doesn't account for SQUAT. There are F/I four cylinder cars running outlaw class around here for DAYS but it takes investment and planning to get there. I've seen people (not shops) with Evos in town waste S/C Mustang GT's, Camaro SS', and Challeneger SRT's, there is a replacement for displacement and it "is" forced induction. Siting the results of a tuner shop though, that's not something to brag about per-say.
Old 6/20/12, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pete07GT

What are the drawbacks exactly? With a procharger application one could argue a nominal increase in HP and Torque that "could" rival a N/A V8 carrying a heftier price tag both in MSRP and power adder applications? What's been your experiences with forced-induction and less than 8 cylinders sir? You've got the mechanic background and I'd like to hear your insight.
You're looking at a minimum of $7k worth of mods to get not much hp over a stock GT. Then you're still left with the sixer trim. So that takes more $$ for wheels and suspension if you want it to handle. So now we have a good looking V6 mustang with the same power as a stock GT, and we've spent about the same money total getting it there. What happens when you are ready to sell it? It's still worth what a sixer is worth. Plus this one is boosted which is gonna make it harder to sell anyways. Just not worth it.

I understand the OP's dilemma because of insurance. That makes sense. I would probably do an engine swap before the charger upgrade though. Insurance company doesn't need to know about those 2 extra cylinders.
Old 6/20/12, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that I think it's worth doing, because I don't, but would you be able to see the same mpgs with a procharged 6?
Old 6/20/12, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2012BLKV6
Not that I think it's worth doing, because I don't, but would you be able to see the same mpgs with a procharged 6?
Probably as long as you're not using any boost. It's gonna use a lot of fuel if you're really driving it. What kind of gas mileage are you getting with your V6?
Old 6/20/12, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you are starting with a V6 with performance package, then the handling issues are mute. Already have GT suspension pieces, 19 inch wheels/tires and 3:31 gear.
Old 6/20/12, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Probably as long as you're not using any boost. It's gonna use a lot of fuel if you're really driving it. What kind of gas mileage are you getting with your V6?
I am consistently getting 31+ on the highway. Closer to 33 on the AC expressway (very flat) doing 75. But I have the 2.73s.
Old 6/20/12, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by JCStang
If you are starting with a V6 with performance package, then the handling issues are mute. Already have GT suspension pieces, 19 inch wheels/tires and 3:31 gear.
Then you've spent only about $6k less than a GT. Now drop the extra money to make it equal the GT. And it will NEVER sound like a GT. Hey it's not my money. Just trying to give my honest advise.
Old 6/20/12, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Then you've spent only about $6k less than a GT. Now drop the extra money to make it equal the GT. And it will NEVER sound like a GT. Hey it's not my money. Just trying to give my honest advise.
I agree. Plus, now you're running boost on a motor that's not built for it.
Old 6/20/12, 03:52 PM
Cobra Member

Actually if you factor in the fact you have the 19 inch wheels/tires the cost difference is a little more than just $6,000. I agree, you would probably spend as much to boost the 6 to get near the power of the V8 so why bother. At my age, I realize no matter what you have there will ALWAYS be someone who is faster. I go back to what I have said so many times on here...I spent a little over $23k out the door on mine and I have a car that would beat 90% or more of the cars on the road and also most of the "muscle" cars from years ago if you considered this cars mid to high 13's in the quarter mile and mid 5's 0-60 times. But hey, to each his own. What ever rocks your boat.
Old 6/20/12, 04:02 PM
GTR Member

Why???

Why does anyone care whether someone wants to hop up their V6, why would anyone want to discourage someone from doing this???

The only explanation has to be that you feel threatened by anyone who doesn't conform to your way of thinking or doing things, someone different from you.

This is prejudice, plain and simple.

Why do you guys that think a GT or V8 is the only way to go even look at this section of the forum?

You just do this to cause trouble, otherwise you wouldn't even comment.
_

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 6/20/12 at 04:05 PM.
Old 6/20/12, 04:13 PM
Cobra Member

I don't care what someone does, it's there car and money. My point is be happy with what you got, even if it means modifying it or leaving it stock, don't do it to impress or beat others.
Old 6/20/12, 04:18 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Why???

Why does anyone care whether someone wants to hop up their V6, why would anyone want to discourage someone from doing this???

The only explanation has to be that you feel threatened by anyone who doesn't conform to your way of thinking or doing things, someone different from you.

Why do you guys that think a GT or V8 is the only way to go even look at this section of the forum?

_
I don't give a flying **** what he does.

Just trying to stop him from waking up a year from now and saying dang I should've listened to Gary and Al.

Sounds like you have a chip on your V6 shoulder.
Old 6/20/12, 04:24 PM

Why???

_
Just the opposite on all aspects. Sounds like you may be offended which is not the intention. CCTking is a good kid. He works hard for what he has. Just don't want him to spend his money and regret it after. I'm on mustang #4 and it won't be my last. I commend anyone with a 600+hp sixer. Good for you.

And I like black people and hate V6 stangs and butthurt crybabies. I guess I am prejudice.
Old 6/20/12, 04:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why???

_
+1...I agree. I think many are afraid of the 6 beating them which is why they discourage modding it. The simple fact is that a pro-charged v6 isn't "close" to a v8....it blows the doors off a v8. CFM has a v6 which is about 550HP. It's as fast as a C6 Corvette. Guess how fast the v8 is? Much slower than that. Guess how somebody would get the v8 that fast? By spending $$$ to mod it.

People shouldn't buy a V8, they should buy a C6.

Quick Reply: Procharge?