Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 11/26/12, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering

I have a '13 performance pkg premium v6 and I'm looking to lower the car. I don't know with what set up to go with and if I even want to do it at all because it seems once the car is lowered, a ton of problems start to happen and it's not worth it by just having the car looking better.

What's you guys experience with lowering the car? Any difference in ride quality? What springs are the best for just daily driving? What all is needed other than the springs if I just want a 1 inch drop and 1.5 inch for the back? Any long term damage to the car by lowering?

I'd much rather stay stock in the suspension dept. than having to deal with a ton of problems so I want to do my homework before I add this to my mod list.

Thanks!
Old 11/26/12, 08:55 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Bilstein shocks with maximum motorsports springs. Saleen sway bars and all urethane bushings to even it out! Yes! (I think Saleen calls it (Racecraft) however, they just rebadge components.

Careful though, there's alot of give and take when you lower a car. Like stiffness, clearance, and noise.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 11/26/12 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11/26/12, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Bilstein shocks with maximum motorsports springs. Saleen sway bars and all urethane bushings to even it out! Yes! (I think Saleen calls it (Racecraft) however, they just rebadge components.

Careful though, there's alot of give and take when you lower a car. Like stiffness, clearance, and noise.
That all sounds like a PITA to eliminate wheel gap...
I may just pass.
If i do it, i want to do it right from the get go and not cheap out but all that sounds costly just to be an inch lower.
Old 11/26/12, 10:50 AM

Well yeah it can add up....mainly because you have to change the shocks when you use shorter springs. You could just swap springs but you'd kill the OEM shocks in no time.
Old 11/26/12, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Well yeah it can add up....mainly because you have to change the shocks when you use shorter springs. You could just swap springs but you'd kill the OEM shocks in no time.
I messaged steeda a couple days ago so im hoping they tell me what all I need since their springs have the highest praise. If i need shocks and the panhard bar because of the misalignment then I have to save up. I want it done right ya know.
Old 11/26/12, 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Just another thought, you might want to check out stranoparts.com on the net and get with Sam Strano, he is a suspension guy and racer and a very straight shooter. He will probably save you some money in the long run.
Old 11/26/12, 03:58 PM

Bilstein shocks are not that expensive. In my opinion they are the best. They look pretty too. I honestly would get suspension components piece by piece. It will be cheaper and more tailored to you than just buying a track package.

Factoid: Saleen actually rebadges blue and yellow bilstein shocks for their Mustang line. They simply called them "N2 race craft" and applied a decal and called it their own. Lol

Hands down they are the best shocks. The steeda springs would be a nice compliment to them,

Last edited by Getportfolio; 11/26/12 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11/26/12, 05:22 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info guys
Old 11/26/12, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
steeda sport springs and koni shock and struts. The only thing you might need in addition to that is camber bolts 29 bucks and a panhard bar. Keep an eye out for a used panhard bar as well as some used springs. take your time and you can probably find all this stuff lightly used at great prices.
Old 11/26/12, 05:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got the ford racing k springs and haven't had any problems except for loose sway bar links which was a simple fix. I got the springs, panard bar, and camber bolts. All in all I spent about $500 with the springs and alignment. I will replace the shocks and struts later if I need to. I love the ride quality and the look. I think they drop the car about 2" all around, my car seems to be lower than what the pictures show.
Old 11/26/12, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Studly_Studright
I got the ford racing k springs and haven't had any problems except for loose sway bar links which was a simple fix. I got the springs, panard bar, and camber bolts. All in all I spent about $500 with the springs and alignment. I will replace the shocks and struts later if I need to. I love the ride quality and the look. I think they drop the car about 2" all around, my car seems to be lower than what the pictures show.
Since theyre ford racing springs, are they under warranty?

2 in drop seems a bit too low. I dont wanna scrape haha. Yeah well i wanted to take advantage of the black friday sale but no one replied in time :/
Old 11/26/12, 07:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
I ran Vogtland Springs (.8/1.2) From J&M with SRT.T Konis from Sam Stranos, the rear was and eighth off so I never did put the Adjustable Panhard bar on. I did put Camber bolts that I found on Ebay for $25 shipped. Less than $600 when I did it on the 2010 and I did the lowering and Alignment myself.
I had 30K on it with no problems when I sold it.
Old 11/26/12, 07:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mopar?
Since theyre ford racing springs, are they under warranty?

2 in drop seems a bit too low. I dont wanna scrape haha. Yeah well i wanted to take advantage of the black friday sale but no one replied in time :/
I have never scraped anywhere and I'm fairly certain my town has the steepest hills in the state. Don't run over parking blocks though! Unfortunately ford does not keep the warranty on Ford Racing parts. I asked the dealer and it makes no sense.

They said if they can trace the problem back to something you've done yourself then it's voided. Then I asked if I brought the car into the dealer to have them install the springs would it still void the warranty and they said yes since it was your choice to put the springs on haha They will get you one way or the other.
Old 11/26/12, 11:28 PM
Banned

I have never scraped anywhere and I'm fairly certain my town has the steepest hills in the state. Don't run over parking blocks though! Unfortunately ford does not keep the warranty on Ford Racing parts. I asked the dealer and it makes no sense.

They said if they can trace the problem back to something you've done yourself then it's voided. Then I asked if I brought the car into the dealer to have them install the springs would it still void the warranty and they said yes since it was your choice to put the springs on haha They will get you one way or the other.
haha they're so sneaky! Well I will look into those Ford racing springs though since Steeda disappeared on me lol , got any links for em?
Old 11/27/12, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

yeah gt

http://www.americanmuscle.com/fr-2005-k-springs.html

and looks like they're different for v6 called N springs

http://www.americanmuscle.com/n-springs-0511-v6.html
Old 11/27/12, 02:02 PM
Banned

Says you need extra parts for the '13s meh
Old 11/27/12, 09:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Mopar,

I apologize that Steeda left you hanging ... please PM who you had messaged? I do not see anything in my email or pm, so if I missed it then I apologize.

An adjustable panhard bar (to re-center the rear-end after lowering) and our heavy-duty upper strut mounts (to adjust camber after lowering) are minimum recommendations (not required, but strongly recommended) for the Ultralites, Sports.

The lower you go the more you will have to add. The bigger the budget the more that can be done at the same time. If you have the funding then you could save some money doing the shocks and struts with the springs since the install will be at the same time.

Please PM and I will make sure you get the appropriate follow up and forum pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 11/28/12, 02:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Mopar,

I apologize that Steeda left you hanging ... please PM who you had messaged? I do not see anything in my email or pm, so if I missed it then I apologize.

An adjustable panhard bar (to re-center the rear-end after lowering) and our heavy-duty upper strut mounts (to adjust camber after lowering) are minimum recommendations (not required, but strongly recommended) for the Ultralites, Sports.

The lower you go the more you will have to add. The bigger the budget the more that can be done at the same time. If you have the funding then you could save some money doing the shocks and struts with the springs since the install will be at the same time.

Please PM and I will make sure you get the appropriate follow up and forum pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ
Well I messaged Steedabrandon during the black friday sale and well he doesn't work with you guys now so I waited 5 days for nothing and missed on the black friday sale/cyber monday sale.
Old 12/5/12, 11:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just out of curiosity, I've heard in the 11-13 V6 that the GT springs will fit but most likely will not drop the car in the same manor.correct me if I'm wrong but for example GT springs that have a 1" drop in front and a 1.5" drop in back may only drop the V6 by .5" in front and 1" in rear. With that in mind is all the camber bolts and pan hard bar or even getting new shocks and struts even necessary?

Last edited by Fintile; 12/5/12 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12/5/12, 07:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Fintile
Just out of curiosity, I've heard in the 11-13 V6 that the GT springs will fit but most likely will not drop the car in the same manor.correct me if I'm wrong but for example GT springs that have a 1" drop in front and a 1.5" drop in back may only drop the V6 by .5" in front and 1" in rear. With that in mind is all the camber bolts and pan hard bar or even getting new shocks and struts even necessary?
The Vogtland Spring that I had on my car were .8/1.2 on the V6 and the same springs were 1.2/1.2 on the GT, only part of the GT that is heavier is the front, the rear weighs the same.

Quick Reply: Lowering