Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Is a custom tune safe?

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/17, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a custom tune safe?

So I just got a used 2014 v6 mustang and I think it would be pretty fun to do some upgrades. I'm eyeing a CAI and tuner to start.

I'm just slightly concerned about whether tuning is safe. I've found a lot of information about whether a tune is safe for the engine but none on whether it's safe for the driver. I just want to know whether tuning is going to increase the chances of failure while I'm driving and thus the chances of an accident.

Let me know what you all think. I have never had an engine fail so I don't really know what happens. I'm okay with expensive as long as its not dangerous.

Last edited by dstathis; 2/28/17 at 09:33 AM.
Old 2/28/17, 01:20 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Get a tune from a reputable vendor and you should be ok.
The following users liked this post:
dstathis (2/28/17)
Old 2/28/17, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the advice SpectreH

I think the question I asked is not exactly what I was looking for. I am going under the assumption that while a tune is reasonably safe, it will increase the chance of engine failure at least marginally (this is from what I have read). My real question is what actually happens when the engine does fail? Does the car just stop accelerating allowing me to just pull over or will it go spiraling out of control?

Edit: I know this isn't exactly the intended topic of the forum but it seems like a place where people will have the answer.

Last edited by dstathis; 2/28/17 at 01:43 PM.
Old 2/28/17, 03:14 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
JDM Engineering, Brenspeed, VMP, Lund and Steeda are all very reputable calibration tuners and have over 20 years experience to back it up..
tj@steeda (3/3/17)
Old 2/28/17, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
If your car dies while driving down the road right now can you not pull it over to the side, it will be the same after a tune is on it.
Old 2/28/17, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dstathis
Thanks for the advice SpectreH

I think the question I asked is not exactly what I was looking for. I am going under the assumption that while a tune is reasonably safe, it will increase the chance of engine failure at least marginally (this is from what I have read). My real question is what actually happens when the engine does fail? Does the car just stop accelerating allowing me to just pull over or will it go spiraling out of control?

Edit: I know this isn't exactly the intended topic of the forum but it seems like a place where people will have the answer.
Ok I think I get your question. And I have at least half the answer.

Most of the time, your engine just stops running and won't start again when it fails. So just like if you had turned the engine off. Time was the biggest issue would be you lose power steering and all the money in your bank account, but I'm not sure how that goes with electric power steering.

So I suppose it's also possible that the engine freezes up completely and won't turn. I don't know this for sure but I'm thinking just shift to neutral and coast to a safe spot. I'm thinking if you don't shift to neutral you won't go careening out of control, but something in the transmission will slip before the tires do (clutch, etc.). This is also hard on the bank account but better than dying.
dstathis (2/28/17)
Old 2/28/17, 06:52 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Basically you throw a rod, melt a piston, break a valve...stuff comes out of the side of the engine. You realize it and apply brakes or coast to a stop and call a tow truck.
Old 2/28/17, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I feel pretty confident that a tune is unlikely to damage the engine, and if it does, it will only be a money issue (which still sucks but is acceptable).

I'll probably go for the CAI and tuner once I have some time to spare.
Old 3/1/17, 06:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been running a custom tune with a supercharger in my 2005 V6 since 2008. Send my oil in once a year for analysis. Never had a problem. If your tuner is good and reputable you shouldn't have any issues.
Old 3/2/17, 04:24 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I've been running a tune on my 2011 v6 since July of 2010. The tunes made for the v6 are safe. Bama, Steeda, Evolution Performance (Jon Lund) and MPT are all safe tunes to go with for our v6's
tj@steeda (3/3/17)
Old 3/2/17, 04:27 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I Must Add: I'm talking about the "mail order tunes". You order the tune from their web site and load them to your hand held tuner.

A custom "dyno tune", is only as good as the people doing it.
Old 3/3/17, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
If you have any warranties left on that car you may want to think about it first.
But as others have stated. If your only going for a mild tune for CAI and down the road headers. A 93 octane tune will be fine. It's when you try to squeeze every bit of HP for that engine out of it. I think one of the biggest engine killers is when the Rev. Limiter is moved up.
If you ask me that's one area to leave stock if its a street / work / fun car. Ford has spent a few tons of money knowing what these engines can handle. That's why rev limiters are installed. Its a simple fail safe device to protect your 6 pistons and block from becoming a huge paper weight. How ever its your ride to feel free to do as you like. just remember that other people (Not All) will give advise because it may have worked for them so they say. In reality when 1 piston come thru the block because it sounded cool while winding that motor up to 8000rpm. YOU will be left with the headache and the money to repair or replace the damage that has occurred.

My car factory redlines at 7500rpm. If it cant do what I need it to do at those rpm's... I say what am I trying to do and rethink that its all for fun. Keeping all this in mind will let my car live a long happy life with extra money and time in my favor.

Sorry to ramble on but I just feel like the rev limiter is the weak link in tuning a car for longevity and reliability. I have a Steeda 93 tune. CAI and no Cats. That's all I'm tuned for and 100% happy. Red line is still 7500rpm.
tj@steeda (3/3/17)
Old 3/3/17, 07:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Our tunes are safe, reliable & powerful.

Happy to help if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/13/17, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The tune is safe. Others have listed reputable places. Don't bother with Bama or something like that. Once you put more mods on (if you do) then go with a custom dyno tune. Be advised your 2014 V6 can get 400+ HP to the wheels if you have a fat wallet. Have fun modding. Your wallet will not thank you.

Last edited by V6 Driver; 3/13/17 at 11:12 AM.
Old 3/15/17, 01:48 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have had a MPT tune for a year and no issues.
Old 3/15/17, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by V6 Driver
The tune is safe. Others have listed reputable places. Don't bother with Bama or something like that. Once you put more mods on (if you do) then go with a custom dyno tune. Be advised your 2014 V6 can get 400+ HP to the wheels if you have a fat wallet. Have fun modding. Your wallet will not thank you.
He makes a good point. The beauty of these cars is aftermarket support.
Old 3/16/17, 05:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
If you do a search you can see some of the problems people can have with bad tunes here. Most of the ones I've seen tend to be that the car won't start, runs rough, stalls, goes into limp mode, etc. Nothing catastrophic and fixed with a revised tune.

I will say that, outside of those problems, with a poorly set up tune, if the mixture is too lean, the engine will run hot (especially at WOT) and you run the risk of detonation or burning​ valves and piston rings. If it's too rich, you can fowl spark plugs and kill your catalytic converters. If the timing is too aggressive, you can get knocking.
Every good tuner I've talked to prefers a slightly rich mixture to protect against leaning out at WOT, without going so rich it causes problems. I would talk to places about maximum SAFE horsepower. Both tuners I've used have followed that mantra.

Don't want to put you off to it, just more info going to into an informed decision is always better. You won't believe the difference a tune can make, but a reputable tuner is key.

Last edited by Cavero; 3/16/17 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Added that reputable tuners favor slightly rich