Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/14, 06:15 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light

My check engine light comes on only when I'm pushing my car to its fullest and it seems to be losing power when the light comes on and won't let me accelerate any more even when I shift and the engine feels like it isn't giving out any power, and I've added
-Cold air intake
-BBK throttle body 73mm
-Bama 91 tune
-FRPP Short throw shifter
-Borla s type exhausts
-FRPP X pipe
-BBK Shorty headers
-SR Performance clutch line
-One piece aluminum driveshaft
-Panhard bar and support brace
-FRPP lowering N-springs 1.5"
-Koni yellows adjustable shocks
-Whiteline Transmission mount
-SR performance lower control arms
-Koni orange front struts
-Maximum Motorsport steel braided brake lines
-Maximum Motorsport caster camber plates
-Boss 302 strut tower brace
-Boss 302 rear valance
-Spec billet flywheel
-Spec stage 1 clutch
-Excedy slave cylinder
-3.55 gears
Could it be the o2 sensors?
Old 6/23/14, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

hook up a scanner and see what codes it has. just cause the light turned off doesnt mean theres no longer a code. but yes it could be your o2 sensors and are expensive!
Old 6/23/14, 06:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
hook up a scanner and see what codes it has. just cause the light turned off doesnt mean theres no longer a code. but yes it could be your o2 sensors and are expensive!
What would it be under on the tuner? I'm not sure what code I'm looking for? Vehicle info?
Old 6/23/14, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
I would say if it comes on and then goes back off that there's a problem with the tune or fuel delivery. I would think tune tho, it either starts running lean or rich and your 02's are sensing that. I wouldn't thrash on it until you get it figured out.
Old 6/23/14, 06:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by michael 20
What would it be under on the tuner? I'm not sure what code I'm looking for? Vehicle info?
autozone can check them for you
Old 6/23/14, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

when the check engine light comes on it means theres a emissions probable or a problem with the vehicle that can cause the vehicle to put bad gasses into the atmosphere. when the light comes on your cars computer saves the reason that the light came on so that you or your mechanic can see what the light came on for. you can see these codes with your hand held tuning device. plug it in and it should be under something like DTC codes or something like that. write down the codes it has and post them on here so we can help.
Old 6/23/14, 07:37 PM
GT Member

when the check engine light comes on it means theres a emissions probable or a problem with the vehicle that can cause the vehicle to put bad gasses into the atmosphere. when the light comes on your cars computer saves the reason that the light came on so that you or your mechanic can see what the light came on for. you can see these codes with your hand held tuning device. plug it in and it should be under something like DTC codes or something like that. write down the codes it has and post them on here so we can help.
I checked it and it said no codes are found
Old 6/23/14, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I checked it and it said no codes are found
do it during the same engine cycle as the light come on. as in after the light comes on try to pull the codes before you turn the car back off.
Old 6/24/14, 08:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

can he do the data logging thing?
Old 6/26/14, 06:16 PM
GT Member

do it during the same engine cycle as the light come on. as in after the light comes on try to pull the codes before you turn the car back off.
It came on again and I found out what the code is, P0300 random misfire detected. Does anyone know what I can do or what my options are going about this?
Old 6/26/14, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

i would call bama first thing in the morning and get them to send you the info to data log. it sounds like a tuning issue to me since its a new car. a p0300 code should cause the check engine light to flash while the random missfire is being detected also.
Old 6/27/14, 01:07 PM
GT Member

i would call bama first thing in the morning and get them to send you the info to data log. it sounds like a tuning issue to me since its a new car. a p0300 code should cause the check engine light to flash while the random missfire is being detected also.
I called them and did the data logging but the logging was saved as Microsoft excel and it won't let me send it as that attachment
Old 6/27/14, 03:59 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
It's either two or more misfires that you are getting.
Trying checking all the spark plugs for wear and tear and the gaps.
Try checking for vacuum leaks.
You could have low fuel pressure. Check your fuel filter first and if that's not it, check your fuel pump.
If those all check out,...check your battery. It could be running low or getting bad. And lastly,...get your tune looked at.
Good luck! Let us know how you make out with everything.
Old 6/27/14, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
It's either two or more misfires that you are getting.
Trying checking all the spark plugs for wear and tear and the gaps.
Try checking for vacuum leaks.
You could have low fuel pressure. Check your fuel filter first and if that's not it, check your fuel pump.
If those all check out,...check your battery. It could be running low or getting bad. And lastly,...get your tune looked at.
Good luck! Let us know how you make out with everything.
with it being a 2013 and modded im leaning towards tune instead of stuff that would normally cause a random miss. the data logging will hell him pin point where the problem is also.
Old 6/28/14, 07:22 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
with it being a 2013 and modded im leaning towards tune instead of stuff that would normally cause a random miss. the data logging will hell him pin point where the problem is also.
I fully agree.I would check the spark plugs to see if they are worn from a tune being "off". Like I posted earlier, definitely have the tune looked at as well.
Data logging will indeed help pin point the issue.
Old 6/30/14, 12:28 PM
GT Member

Just to eliminate the obvious, are you using 91 octane or higher gas?

stage3's suggestion of checking the plugs is a good idea they can sometimes tell you what's going on inside the cylinders. You can post up pictures and hopefully a mech can tell you what it means. I'm not proficient enough to interpret.

The rest of stage3's suggestions look pretty solid, but you may need to take it to a shop for quite a few of those if you aren't mechanically inclined. Dropping the fuel cell to check the filter and pump can be a major pain.

what's the mileage on the vehicle? have you kept up with the service?