Best cold air intake

Old 7/20/14, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best cold air intake

Just got a 14 v6 my first step is to put the CAI any suggestions
Old 7/20/14, 11:40 PM
GT Member

Don't get the K&N CAI it's not worth the money. Get an Airaid or a BBK CAI, or even the Airaid M.I.T. with a K&N filter. The M.I.T. combo will give you a good sound with an increased flow for have the price.
Old 7/21/14, 08:36 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ronie_g
Hey Ronie,

Congratulations on picking up your V6! There's a load of power that's locked up in there and if you're going to be picking up a Cold Air Intake i would personally recommend purchasing a Bama Tuner along with this in order to have the air flow optimized so you're going to make power and not just noise!

We have many Cold Air Intake and Tuner Combo kits on site here and having owned multiple Airaid parts be it on my Mustang or another application I would recommend their CAI and Bama X4 Tuner kit
The tuner is incredibly easy to use, it can clear and scan trouble codes on most OBDII equipped vehicles and if you're ever to install a new part down the road that would require a revision you're automatically enrolled in the Free Tunes For Life program meaning that you would either have an order set up or shoot us a call and we write you a new tune, for free!

I hope some of this helps! Let me know if you have any questions about this at all, I'm always here to help out!

Alex
Old 7/21/14, 09:46 AM
GT Member

I didn't say that a CAI doesn't add some power, but the K&N version doesn't. The power values are from a dyno run without the cover and as I read it only at higher rpm's you'll get an increase. In the lower rpm's you even loose power and that is what I experienced, and I have a 91oct tune.
The stock intake with the k&n filter is better and will get better with the airaid modular intake tube. It won't make the power of the complete cai, but better than the k&n and it is a lot cheaper (~150$).
Old 7/22/14, 10:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Are you looking for a tuned CAI or just a CAI without a tune?

We make a unit that will suite your needs if you are looking for a tune required one.

Combined with the required custom tune using an SCT X3 Flash programming device we have achieved dramatic power increases of up to 20hp and 30ft/lbs of torque!

SCT Performance is the leader in the Ford tuning industry and Steeda's partner in developing this powerful package.
"SCT has seen the highest horsepower and torque results while using Steeda's Cold Air Kit, over any other brand." - Chris Johnson, President of SCT Performance

Our power increase it not just a peak number at one point in the band. The actual power increase is spread throughout the entire rpm range so your increased performance is available on demand in any gear at virtually any rpm!
Note: requires a minimum of 91 octane fuel for power gains.
- See more at: http://www.steeda.com/v6-mustang-col....n1f6z9yE.dpuf

Here are some reviews:

I was having a tough time deciding which CAI to buy for my car. Finally I decided on the Steeda because it was the only one that required a tune, and used the existing air vent. It was pretty easy to install, and I knew as soon as started the car I was making the right choice. My wife was in the car when I started it for the first time after installation, and we just looked at each other like- WOW! It sounded deeper and more powerful. We took it out for a ride and were very pleasantly surprised at the performance improvement. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/v6-mustang-col....n1f6z9yE.dpuf
I just got done installing and tunning this CAI on my car. As soon as I turned my car on I felt a major difference, it changed the sound and feel of the car. If you are stuck between all these different intakes companies are making, order the Steeda. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/v6-mustang-col...n1f6z9yE.dpuf]
Let me know if I can help assist with any questions or order support. You can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 7/22/14 at 10:55 AM.
Old 7/22/14, 11:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I swear. The second someone asks a question about a part choice, the vendors rocket in like rabid dogs with sales pitches disguised as hey I wanna help you.

If the AM guy for example, was truly trying to help and not shamelessly sell, then he wouldn't have recommended the BAMA tune, which we all know is mediocre and potentially dangerous at best.

Geez! There are even subtle links in his post to the store! Lol. Are these canned posts?

Last edited by typesredline; 7/22/14 at 11:03 AM.
Old 7/22/14, 02:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else ... but I will provide details & reviews on our products. At times ... people are new to the Mustang market & don't know who the brands are.

I can definitely help him ... he just needs to let me know what he is looking for.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 7/22/14, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
I can't speak for anyone else ... but I will provide details & reviews on our products. At times ... people are new to the Mustang market & don't know who the brands are. I can definitely help him ... he just needs to let me know what he is looking for. Best Regards, TJ

I was actually leaning towards the steeda just wanted to know if you do tune it do you have to run a 91 octane?
Old 7/22/14, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
I was actually leaning towards the steeda just wanted to know if you do tune it do you have to run a 91 octane?
No you don't, with the Steeda you just need the tune for the added air going over the MAF since their tube is bigger.
PM TJ, he will help you out
Old 7/22/14, 08:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
I can't speak for anyone else ... but I will provide details & reviews on our products. At times ... people are new to the Mustang market & don't know who the brands are. I can definitely help him ... he just needs to let me know what he is looking for. Best Regards, TJ
Not so much you TJ. Mainly the AM guys.
Old 7/23/14, 08:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
I swear. The second someone asks a question about a part choice, the vendors rocket in like rabid dogs with sales pitches disguised as hey I wanna help you.

If the AM guy for example, was truly trying to help and not shamelessly sell, then he wouldn't have recommended the BAMA tune, which we all know is mediocre and potentially dangerous at best.

Geez! There are even subtle links in his post to the store! Lol. Are these canned posts?

Say what you want but all the vendors have links to their store... how else would they advertise and it allows the OP to click a link directly to the vendor's store to look at their products. I don't see the problem with AM doing this...

Bama tunes are not bad. Maybe you have had a bad experience with them. You are on a forum, of course all you are going to hear is bad things. I have heard stories about the other tuners as well. I went with Bama because I bought my CAI thru them and I liked their service. I haven't had any issue with them and whenever I wanted a revised tune, they were prompt in service. I recently data logged my car and sent it to Bama. I am really liking my race tune! There is so much difference from stock tune to Bama's race tune. To each their own I guess and everyone has their opinion

For the OP, I went with the BBK CAI. I love it. The sound is phenomenal and there is some power there (maybe the sound helps feel like there is more power gain than actual) The tune does really help but if you can't afford a tune just yet, enjoy the subtle power increase and awesome sound. Last but not least, the BBK CAI compliments the engine well for car shows. People are always looking at it. I want to get the BBK throttle body to go with it (my next performance mod).

Hope you find a CAI right for you
Attached Thumbnails Best cold air intake-photo-1-640x480-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
MustangLady322 (5/12/23)
Old 7/23/14, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by killaz05
Say what you want but all the vendors have links to their store... how else would they advertise and it allows the OP to click a link directly to the vendor's store to look at their products. I don't see the problem with AM doing this... Bama tunes are not bad. Maybe you have had a bad experience with them. You are on a forum, of course all you are going to hear is bad things. I have heard stories about the other tuners as well. I went with Bama because I bought my CAI thru them and I liked their service. I haven't had any issue with them and whenever I wanted a revised tune, they were prompt in service. I recently data logged my car and sent it to Bama. I am really liking my race tune! There is so much difference from stock tune to Bama's race tune. To each their own I guess and everyone has their opinion For the OP, I went with the BBK CAI. I love it. The sound is phenomenal and there is some power there (maybe the sound helps feel like there is more power gain than actual) The tune does really help but if you can't afford a tune just yet, enjoy the subtle power increase and awesome sound. Last but not least, the BBK CAI compliments the engine well for car shows. People are always looking at it. I want to get the BBK throttle body to go with it (my next performance mod). Hope you find a CAI right for you
It's the approach that is taken. No one is blaming them for selling. But the way it's done is via fake concern. I'd rather them just say, "Hey, here is a link to out cai's. We also offer tunes which when bundled saves you some coin." But to post a long drawn out, canned sales pitch, and then to do it on EVERY post of this nature. It gets obnoxious.

As far as Bama tunes. I've never personally had one. However I have 10 yrs exp tuning cars with significantly more advanced systems than a SCT handheld. And I've read enough issues with their tunes, more so than any other tuner by far. Yes a forum brings out the negative. But what's worse is the numerous attempts to fix the tunes and sometimes to no avail.

The other big name tuners make revisions too. SOMETIMES. But after 1 datalog and fix, they run perfect.

So my opinion has nothing to do with a skewed, biased forum experience. It has everything to do with what I've seen in relation to what should be if the tuner was experienced. Even if Bama only had one customer ever that had issues. It still would take them several attempts to MAYBE fix things. That alone tells me all I need to know.

Last edited by typesredline; 7/23/14 at 08:32 AM.
Old 7/23/14, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd say whatever one you can find used on CL or the forums. To me they are all the same. 1-3 HP difference between them. Without a tune they don't do much anyhow. Just look and sound better.

I picked up Borla ATAKs and an Airraid CAI off CL for $450. Can't beat that. I'm all about used performance parts.
Old 7/23/14, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
It's the approach that is taken. No one is blaming them for selling. But the way it's done is via fake concern. I'd rather them just say, "Hey, here is a link to out cai's. We also offer tunes which when bundled saves you some coin." But to post a long drawn out, canned sales pitch, and then to do it on EVERY post of this nature. It gets obnoxious.

As far as Bama tunes. I've never personally had one. However I have 10 yrs exp tuning cars with significantly more advanced systems than a SCT handheld. And I've read enough issues with their tunes, more so than any other tuner by far. Yes a forum brings out the negative. But what's worse is the numerous attempts to fix the tunes and sometimes to no avail.

The other big name tuners make revisions too. SOMETIMES. But after 1 datalog and fix, they run perfect.

So my opinion has nothing to do with a skewed, biased forum experience. It has everything to do with what I've seen in relation to what should be if the tuner was experienced. Even if Bama only had one customer ever that had issues. It still would take them several attempts to MAYBE fix things. That alone tells me all I need to know.

Well not to compare companies etc. but look at the length of Steeda's post compared to AM. They both a making a point to try and sell their services and products. I think they are fine for doing what they are doing and appreciate them all because we need the competition among vendors to get great products and service.

Again, to each their own with the Bama tune but I can honestly say that I have not had one issue with their tune or getting it revised if I wanted. I am not expecting it to be the final tune I'll have on my car but it works as I build my car up (free tunes for life). Once I am done modding (are we ever ) I will go and have my car dyno tuned. Dyno tunes are really expensive, especially if you keep adding mods that would affect the tune.
Old 7/24/14, 11:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Go with exhaust first. Get some axel backs maybe even an X or H pipe. Or go straight into a tuner. You'll feel a much better performance gain and it will smooth out the entire driving experience
Old 7/25/14, 02:52 PM
GT Member

Definitely start with an exhaust and tuner, I started with a tuner (diablosport intune) and cai, but the exhaust got me the best results. The cai is a nice add on but you'll get a better perf with the exhaust tuner combo.