Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

BBK Big Bore throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/13, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed the BBK 73 mm TB and I'm not very impressed. I asked BAMA to make me a new tune (I had a tune made for my air aid CAI), but they said that it requires no tuning. My car feels a little sluggish now; I'm not sure what the problem is. So far, I would say that this TB is not worth the $$$
Old 3/15/13, 10:06 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by *MustangTherapy*
I just installed the BBK 73 mm TB and I'm not very impressed. I asked BAMA to make me a new tune (I had a tune made for my air aid CAI), but they said that it requires no tuning. My car feels a little sluggish now; I'm not sure what the problem is. So far, I would say that this TB is not worth the $$$
Good info, many other people have said similar things about the throttle body being that for the 400 dollars is not worth the little gains of HP if there are any gains.
Old 3/16/13, 10:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I don't believe it could possibly boost the power by that much. I call BS on those numbers.

Waste of $$$ for any normally aspirated V6, IMO.
I do not know on a v-6 but i put an 85mm on my 5.0 and they claim it is up to 20 hp gain and the same in torque. And before you start claiming some one is lieing go to the manufactures or vendor web site and check the facts.
Old 3/16/13, 12:45 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
I do not know on a v-6 but i put an 85mm on my 5.0 and they claim it is up to 20 hp gain and the same in torque. And before you start claiming some one is lieing go to the manufactures or vendor web site and check the facts.
Facts???? Lolz
Old 3/16/13, 01:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by BRADGTCS
Were talking throttle body on 11 plus V6 not the 5.0. I'm not calling anybody a liar, just discussing if 400 dollars is worth the BBK throttle body for the 11 plus v6 models. Many people on the forums have been disappointed with the results. No idea on 5.0 results but the v6 ain't getting 20 HP gains for the throttle body

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/16/13 at 01:28 PM.
Old 3/16/13, 02:34 PM

Alright just thought I'd update everyone (or anyone who really cares) about my experience with this TB. Turns out I used the wrong tune somehow...not sure how I managed to do that. I installed an 87 Performance BAMA tune and its 100 times better. Car sounds better, but hp gains are not really noticeable. I feel like I gained some torque, however. Honestly though, I would not recommend...unless you get a great deal.
Old 3/16/13, 03:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Alright just thought I'd update everyone (or anyone who really cares) about my experience with this TB. Turns out I used the wrong tune somehow...not sure how I managed to do that. I installed an 87 Performance BAMA tune and its 100 times better. Car sounds better, but hp gains are not really noticeable. I feel like I gained some torque, however. Honestly though, I would not recommend...unless you get a great deal.
Do you have headers and x pipe?
Old 3/16/13, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Do you have headers and x pipe?
Nope. I'm sure that would help a lot though.
Old 3/16/13, 05:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Nope. I'm sure that would help a lot though.
Heck yeah. If you don't have the headers and x pipe then your most definitely not going to notice any real difference. The aftermarket BBK throttle body is gonna take more air in than our factory throttle body but with the stock manifolds and cats, the air isn't gonna push out faster. I would consider buying one if they were around 150.00 dollars but not for 400.

I really think the key to the BBK throttle body 73 mm is having a larger aftermarket intake and they don't have one yet for our sixers. The stock intake is still smaller so the larger throttle body is pushing air down the same smaller intake. Defeats the full purpose of the bigger throttle body

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/16/13 at 09:55 PM.
Old 3/17/13, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You definitely need the headers to notice the difference as others have stated. For me personally, when I installed my headers, I immediately noticed a drop in torque. I could feel my HP gains which was verified by my increased MPH at the track. But I definitely noticed a loss of torque at both lower and upper end RPM's.

After I installed the throttle body, I felt that lower end and upper end torque come back. I haven't had a chance to verify at the track yet. But there was no doubt in my mind that it made a difference. I also had Bama send me a hybrid tune with it. That combination worked fantastic. Before my low end felt "boggy" unless I launched at a higher RPM, and I also noticed a drop in torque once getting close to the red line. With the mods, I no longer feel the bogginess at low end and it pulls all the way to the red line instead of feeling like it drops off a few hundred RPM's before the red line.

Last edited by db2797; 3/17/13 at 05:31 PM.
Old 3/19/13, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Heck yeah. If you don't have the headers and x pipe then your most definitely not going to notice any real difference. The aftermarket BBK throttle body is gonna take more air in than our factory throttle body but with the stock manifolds and cats, the air isn't gonna push out faster. I would consider buying one if they were around 150.00 dollars but not for 400.

I really think the key to the BBK throttle body 73 mm is having a larger aftermarket intake and they don't have one yet for our sixers. The stock intake is still smaller so the larger throttle body is pushing air down the same smaller intake. Defeats the full purpose of the bigger throttle body
I do have an air aid CAI along with it, but you're right, long tube headers and a shorty x-pipe would be ideal. Wish I had the money thanks for the info!
Old 3/19/13, 03:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I do have an air aid CAI along with it, but you're right, long tube headers and a shorty x-pipe would be ideal. Wish I had the money thanks for the info!
Glad I could help. You will get there in time with your mods. Takes time.