Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

BBK Big Bore throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/11, 10:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBK Big Bore throttle Body

As anyone installed one of these on their 2011-2012 V6? It's part number 1822. Apparently on a stock engine it get around 10 hp and 20 ft lbs. just want to know what you think orbit over all.
Old 11/20/11, 02:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't believe it could possibly boost the power by that much. I call BS on those numbers.

Waste of $$$ for any normally aspirated V6, IMO.
Old 11/20/11, 03:12 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I don't believe it could possibly boost the power by that much. I call BS on those numbers.

Waste of $$$ for any normally aspirated V6, IMO.
+1
Old 11/20/11, 03:51 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I've thought about getting one but according to what other are saying, not worth it. I searched through the Forum and most people say they are not getting any extra power.
Old 11/20/11, 04:10 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

You have to think logical to understand why it really doesn't work.

Your engine is only capable of pulling in so much air naturally asperated. Your stock throttle body is already oversized for what your engine can breath in. Making the throttle body bigger isn't going to help because the engine is already getting all the air it can use with the stock throttle body.
Old 11/1/12, 08:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
... Your stock throttle body is already oversized for what your engine can breath in. Making the throttle body bigger isn't going to help because the engine is already getting all the air it can use with the stock throttle body.
Never knew that. Most cars see some sort of gain even if it is small. I've found BBTBs work seam to work best under forced induction. In rare cases do they work for N/A applications. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Fintile; 11/1/12 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11/1/12, 11:06 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Fintile

Never knew that. Most cars see some sort of gain even if it is small. I've found BBTBs work seam to work best under forced induction. In rare cases do they work for N/A applications. Thanks for the input.
Correct. Boosted applications pull in a lot more air and the stock throttle body then limits the flow
Old 11/4/12, 07:24 AM
Bullitt Member

When Jay from JLT was designing his intake for the new v6 he realized that using a larger intake diameter was giving the car way more air than it could handle. Most of the gains from aftermarket intakes for our car is due to the open air element design since the stock intake is already pretty good.
Old 12/5/12, 12:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok cool. Well you guys have helped a lot. As cool as it would be to have one I can save my money for something that will suit me better. Next step is getting the Bama tuner.
Old 12/5/12, 12:44 PM
GT Member

I actually bought one from auto anything for about 300 with some discounts and I gotta say I think It was a worthwhile upgrade, car sounds a deeper and more aggressive,getting about another mile (nothing amazing) in mpg and the torque in the lower end is surprisingly noticeable! It might be the placebo effect or something but I do think it was a worthwhile purchase for me. There's also a thread in another forum where a couple of guys think it was a worthwhile upgrade also ill link it if you want.

Btw 2013 v-6 pp
Old 12/17/12, 04:48 AM
Bullitt Member

video from youtube mobile
Old 12/18/12, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will say this. My car seemed to run like crap below 2500 RPM's before. The RPM's bounced all over, when idling it would dip to about 300 and back up over 1000. When first accelerating it always felt like it lagged in response. I installed this along with the hybrid Bama tune last week and my car is running a million times better. The idle sounds freakn' awesome now with a nice rumble that never heard before. And punching it at lower RPM's feels immediately responsive and extremely smooth.

Also, at the very top end (about 6700 RPM's), I've also noticed a difference. Before once I hit 6700, I felt a peak and slight lag and my engine had this gargling sound at high RPM's. Almost like when you need to clear your throat or have something in it gasping for air. Now it pulls hard all the way to the redline and sounds freakn' awesome. No more gargling up there.

So my opinions are that I feel a definite difference at really low RPM's during idle, when punching it up to about 3500 RPM's, and the very top end when I felt like there was about 300 RPM's worth of window at the very top that I seemed to be missing.

So I'm a happy camper.
Old 12/18/12, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
When Jay from JLT was designing his intake for the new v6 he realized that using a larger intake diameter was giving the car way more air than it could handle. Most of the gains from aftermarket intakes for our car is due to the open air element design since the stock intake is already pretty good.
I took advantage of a Black Friday sale and have to echo the positive results. Idle issues seem to be gone after more than two weeks of driving. There definitely is more response from 2-4000rpms. It's worth it IMO. just not sure if it would automatically go to the top of my list though.
Old 1/7/13, 12:17 AM

If you don't think it will work don't buy one! I'm call'in because if you have never even seen the BBK TB then how do you know didily skuat about it!
Their really quite effective on the low end of the rpm range and the power cares all the way to the red line. The engine can't possibly use that much airmine uses it just fine. I have no intetion of taking it back off the engine, but then I did actually put one on!
Old 1/7/13, 05:47 AM

My views have changed about the BBK TB. A lot of people are saying it brings the torque curve down to lower r.p.m.'s, which sounds good to me. I'll be getting one for my birthday in April
Old 1/27/13, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fintile
As anyone installed one of these on their 2011-2012 V6? It's part number 1822. Apparently on a stock engine it get around 10 hp and 20 ft lbs. just want to know what you think orbit over all.
ok so...i got my longtube headers and catless x pipe from bbk...put them on and felt like i dropped my bottom end soooooooooooooo much i couldnt stand it...then i put this bbk throttle body on and WAMMO huge difference....(i also got a custom tune to get feul/air in balance after...but still....no joke it was like night and day...one example...i could stall my car trying to let the clutch our without touching the gas...now i can go up to my very steep driveway let the clutch out and get out of the car and the car will IDLE UP THE FREAKIN HILL ON ITS OWN...i love it and will say get it and then get a tune for it!
Old 1/28/13, 06:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nastynate

ok so...i got my longtube headers and catless x pipe from bbk...put them on and felt like i dropped my bottom end soooooooooooooo much i couldnt stand it...then i put this bbk throttle body on and WAMMO huge difference....(i also got a custom tune to get feul/air in balance after...but still....no joke it was like night and day...one example...i could stall my car trying to let the clutch our without touching the gas...now i can go up to my very steep driveway let the clutch out and get out of the car and the car will IDLE UP THE FREAKIN HILL ON ITS OWN...i love it and will say get it and then get a tune for it!
Why would you loose your bottom end pickup with headers and x pipe? They would increase your torque. Unless I misunderstood you.
Old 1/29/13, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Why would you loose your bottom end pickup with headers and x pipe? They would increase your torque. Unless I misunderstood you.
You can.
This is what happened to me.
I installed my BBK long tube headers with their 'catted' shorty x-pipe. Instant power, even without my new tunes. Got my new tunes and drove it for a few days. I started thinking, the headers and x-pipe made my Magnaflow 'street series' about 1/3rd louder, so i installed my factory mufflers just to see how they would sound. I drove around with them for a while. They not only sounded like crap, i also noticed a loss of low end torque. I reinstalled the Magnaflow 'street series' and my low end torque was back .
Christmas, i got some Magnaflow 'competition' (muffler delete) axle backs. I love the sound but, lost low end torque . After a couple weeks, i couldn't handle the loss of low end power so i reinstalled the Magnaflow 'street series'. My power is back and i'm happy. Now i've wasted almost $500.
I feel if you have the factory exhaust and cats, you'll feel extra power with the Magnaflow 'competition' axle backs. There is a fine line between too much back pressure and not enough. Either way, you'll lose some low end power (torque) if you go too much.
Old 1/29/13, 06:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young

You can.
This is what happened to me.
I installed my BBK long tube headers with their 'catted' shorty x-pipe. Instant power, even without my new tunes. Got my new tunes and drove it for a few days. I started thinking, the headers and x-pipe made my Magnaflow 'street series' about 1/3rd louder, so i installed my factory mufflers just to see how they would sound. I drove around with them for a while. They not only sounded like crap, i also noticed a loss of low end torque. I reinstalled the Magnaflow 'street series' and my low end torque was back .
Christmas, i got some Magnaflow 'competition' (muffler delete) axle backs. I love the sound but, lost low end torque . After a couple weeks, i couldn't handle the loss of low end power so i reinstalled the Magnaflow 'street series'. My power is back and i'm happy. Now i've wasted almost $500.
I feel if you have the factory exhaust and cats, you'll feel extra power with the Magnaflow 'competition' axle backs. There is a fine line between too much back pressure and not enough. Either way, you'll lose some low end power (torque) if you go too much.
Well hopefully, I won't loose my low end torque when I install my headers and x pipe with my Flowmaster Axle back Force II exhaust system.
Old 1/29/13, 12:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by nastynate

So are you saying that if you have the aftermarket exhaust it helps out a lot? Most say it just helps the lower trq curve out anyway. Sounds pretty good.

Last edited by Fintile; 1/29/13 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: BBK Big Bore throttle Body