Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

X-pipe/Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/12, 10:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The X-pipe configuration, as mentioned above, will have an effect on the sound. If you like a deeper tone, I recommend looking at these systems. Scott Hoag, the MRT owner and founder, was a Team Mustang engineer on the '01 Bullitt and '03/'04 Mach 1 programs.

On the 5.0 engine, I think these 2 have the deeper tone with limits to the resonance sound at the critical 2000 RPM cruising point.

stock H-pipe w/MRT axleback
MRT H-pipe & cats w/MRT axleback
Old 7/27/12, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
How is that bassani after cat X?? How is the fitment??? It looks like one of the nicest pieces I've seen for our cars, But the price reflects. I was thinking of going with it for my X
Very impressed with the fit, finish and overall quality of their pipe. No issues during install, no leaks. I do need to get a vid or two of the new exhaust.
Old 7/27/12, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Scober
I wanted a little more from my GT500 mufflers also and just installed GT500 OTA pipes and Bassani after cat x-pipe. Almost no popping on decel now, which is something I didn't care for with the GT500 mufflers, barely louder at idle or cruise but louder/deeper and smoother under any load or WOT
I was thinking the same thing as you, wanted a little more sound from the car with the GT 500 mufflers. Went with the JPC o/r X pipe and just used it as a replacement of the H pipe. Still stock mid pipe forward. I cant tell any difference in the sound from the interior but youre right! most of the popping decel. sound is gone, happy about that. Also I couldnt believe how restrictive the oem H-pipe was. Didnt measure it but it seems a good section of it shrinks down to 2.25". Still waiting for there OTA pipe to get back in stock, to eliminate the resonators/kinks. Maybe that will be the sound combination Im looking for while getting rid of the restrictions.
http://store.jpcracing.com/JPC-Racin...e-_p_1473.html

Last edited by autobred; 7/27/12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 7/28/12, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by autobred
I was thinking the same thing as you, wanted a little more sound from the car with the GT 500 mufflers. Went with the JPC o/r X pipe and just used it as a replacement of the H pipe. Still stock mid pipe forward. I cant tell any difference in the sound from the interior but youre right! most of the popping decel. sound is gone, happy about that. Also I couldnt believe how restrictive the oem H-pipe was. Didnt measure it but it seems a good section of it shrinks down to 2.25". Still waiting for there OTA pipe to get back in stock, to eliminate the resonators/kinks. Maybe that will be the sound combination Im looking for while getting rid of the restrictions.
You using the JPC OTA pipes? I'm thinking of getting the lethal o/r H pipe and JPC OTA pipes. These should compliment my GT 500's nicely. I'll deal with the CEL until I get CAI & tune this winter.
Old 7/28/12, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

No, Im using their O/R X pipe as a replacement for the oem H-pipe. I just plugged the 02 bung. Reading alot of misfitments with the FRPP X-pipe, so I went with these. Easy fitment due to modular pieces, and when I decide to buy their LT headers, I can buy the catted legs to swap out the section on this pipe.The OTA jpc pipes should be back in stock in a couple weeks. Planning to get those also..keep you informed when they get them in on the shelf....
Attached Images   
Old 7/28/12, 06:18 PM
Bullitt Member

They look awsome.
Old 7/28/12, 09:41 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I have fallen in love with the quad exhaust boss setup. Thanks a lot guys... Now to find 699 bucks... Lol.

I am just worried about the install. Sounds like I have to take it to a shop.
Old 7/29/12, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by devildog1679
They look awsome.
Im pretty happy with how smooth the install went, found this on another thread in case you havent caught it.. looks to shave 11 lbs total also while gettin a bit more sound with less restriction...
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ipes-test.html

Last edited by autobred; 7/29/12 at 08:40 AM.
Old 7/29/12, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
I have fallen in love with the quad exhaust boss setup. Thanks a lot guys... Now to find 699 bucks... Lol.

I am just worried about the install. Sounds like I have to take it to a shop.
thats cool man, I also read the whole thread on the Boss retrofit kit and alot of people seems very happy with it. But.. Im not gonna let you give up on your original idea LOL.. Im leaning also towards improving sound, weight loss, and less restrictions for the same money, added power wouldn't hurt either

Last edited by autobred; 7/29/12 at 08:32 AM.
Old 7/29/12, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by autobred
Stock h-pipe pic for reference and agree it's probably 2.25" at the smallest. Surprised a consistent diameter aftermarket pipe isn't worth more hp here.
Attached Images  
Old 7/29/12, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree, more of a bottleneck down at the resonators which I will be doing next to get a more free flowing sound etc. Grabbed these pics from another thread, 2.2" at pipe..shrinks down to 2" at the actual resonators. Im hoping all these little mods will add up in helping getting maximum whp when I install the Boss manifold.
Attached Thumbnails X-pipe/Exhaust questions-resonator.jpg   X-pipe/Exhaust questions-packing.jpg  
Old 7/30/12, 08:27 AM

muffler delete?? i ran some 3" pipe with some 3.5" inch magnaflow tips and the sound was amazing! inside the car it was just enough to not be screaming in your ears but out side it could be heard from quite a ways away...i took it to a shop for the install...used the flanges from the stock mufflers, and with labor and parts it cost me 200 which is waaaaaaaay cheaper than you're going to find an axle-back that produces the same sound...
Old 7/30/12, 09:08 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
no muffler delete for me... I don't want it obnoxiously loud, but just manly loud Plus, with no mufflers, I bet the drone would be unbearable.
Old 7/30/12, 05:04 PM
Cobra R Member

I have the tips off of my Roush mufflers and the sound is COMPLETELY different. I didnt think it would change at all. A lot of the popping is gone and it's deeper. Almost sounds like a fox body with dumps on the mufflers.
Old 8/14/12, 06:39 AM

Ordered the BBK after cat x-pipe from AM yesterday, can't wait to hear what they sound like with my Hushpowers!