Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

X-pipe/Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/12, 06:44 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gruiz_06
I m thinking of getting the FRPP and ford racing x pipe. I dont whether to cut off the resonators or not.

I know theres better tunes out there and maybe better x pipes/axle backs, but I really dont want to risk voiding my warranty. Plus going from a 04 v6 for 8 years to a 5.0 is a big step in terms of power and i still get a little nervous when i step on the gas....lol, so i m more than fine with the power its making now.

I was thinking of even maybe doing a ford racing build ( FR handling pack, FR decal in the rear window, and other accessories, who knows maybe even a FR whipple at one point). It may sound like a waste of money to some people but for some reason I like doing the same brands of things in mostly everything. Weird I know!

Would like to know u alls opinions, so bring ur 2 cents lol
I was skeptical with the FRPP stuff at first, but after a few conversations with the engineers, they put a lot of time and effort testing the products to pass their OEM requirements. You might pay a bit for the name, but there's a reason for it. I'm very happy with all of the FRPP products I have on my 2011.

Originally Posted by FromZto5
followup to my question, no need for a tune after a ford racing x pipe, correct?
None required for the basic X-pipes (after the cats). The older 4.6 cars had the cats built into them, but on the 5.0 cars, they convienently put a joint just before and after the factory H-pipe, as if they knew people would change it. You had to put a tune in to turn off a DTC code that would come up on the 4.6 cars for a lean bank at idle, from an O2 sensor reading.

Last edited by Overboost; 5/27/12 at 07:06 PM.
Old 5/28/12, 06:46 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
I was skeptical with the FRPP stuff at first, but after a few conversations with the engineers, they put a lot of time and effort testing the products to pass their OEM requirements. You might pay a bit for the name, but there's a reason for it. I'm very happy with all of the FRPP products I have on my 2011.

None required for the basic X-pipes (after the cats). The older 4.6 cars had the cats built into them, but on the 5.0 cars, they convienently put a joint just before and after the factory H-pipe, as if they knew people would change it. You had to put a tune in to turn off a DTC code that would come up on the 4.6 cars for a lean bank at idle, from an O2 sensor reading.

After re-reading your post from the previous page, so your fitment and welding issues came with the corsa xpipe and not the frpp pipe? So can I expect a perfect bolt on fit (something I can do myself) with the frpp kit? If not, what's the best xpipe (after cat only) for fit?
Old 5/28/12, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overboost is the first I've heard complain about the fit of the Corsa X. Many more complaints out there about the FRPP particularily at the front connections.

Go to American Muscle's site and read the reviews. My original plan was to get the FRPP, partly because it doesn't have the extra joint, but reading the reviews changed that.

Currently I'm liking the Corsa (it also comes with the front clamps so you don't have to cut the old ones off your factory H-pipe). It may also be made out of 304 rather than 409 SS, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

Also, the X will make the sound smoother, but if anything higher pitched and quieter rather than louder. If you want deep and more volume, I'd suggest replacing your over-axle pipes with the 304 SS JPC pipes, available through JPC or Lethal (they don't have resonators) and keep your stock H-pipe.

Whatever you get, let us know how it works out for you.
Old 5/28/12, 02:02 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by jeff s
Overboost is the first I've heard complain about the fit of the Corsa X. Many more complaints out there about the FRPP particularily at the front connections.

Go to American Muscle's site and read the reviews. My original plan was to get the FRPP, partly because it doesn't have the extra joint, but reading the reviews changed that.

Currently I'm liking the Corsa (it also comes with the front clamps so you don't have to cut the old ones off your factory H-pipe). It may also be made out of 304 rather than 409 SS, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet.

Also, the X will make the sound smoother, but if anything higher pitched and quieter rather than louder. If you want deep and more volume, I'd suggest replacing your over-axle pipes with the 304 SS JPC pipes, available through JPC or Lethal (they don't have resonators) and keep your stock H-pipe.

Whatever you get, let us know how it works out for you.
Ah, there's another suggestion. So over axle pipes? So I don't touch the stock h and the stock cats, right? These over axle ones will be direct bolt on too?
Old 5/28/12, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

if by chance you get the FRPP X-pipe please post a review on install and sound, as I have that set next on my list of mods ... I'm in Cal. so it my only option other than having it fabricated
Old 5/29/12, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Ah, there's another suggestion. So over axle pipes? So I don't touch the stock h and the stock cats, right? These over axle ones will be direct bolt on too?
Right and right.
Old 5/31/12, 09:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Be careful, a lot of guys had fitment issues with the FRPP X pipe. Doesn't line up, a shop had to do some surgery to get it on
Old 7/25/12, 07:47 AM
I Have No Life

I am once again contemplating getting over axle pipes from Lethal, etc.... I need more volume from my GT500's AB's.

Any one have aftermarket over-axle pipes that can attest to whether or not they like it? I am contemplating getting some...
Old 7/25/12, 07:50 AM
GTR Member

Boss side exhaust. Fits great and is plenty loud.
Old 7/25/12, 07:58 AM
I Have No Life

Boss side exhaust. Fits great and is plenty loud.
I forgot about these.

Couple questions...

Direct bolt on? No welding or having to take to a shop, etc?

Will the new sound take away from the current tone of my gt 500 axlebacks? Because I love the tone of them...just need a little more volume.

And lastly...where do you guys recommend to buy and how much?
Old 7/25/12, 08:02 AM
GTR Member

I forgot about these.

Couple questions...

Direct bolt on? No welding or having to take to a shop, etc?

Will the new sound take away from the current tone of my gt 500 axlebacks? Because I love the tone of them...just need a little more volume.

And lastly...where do you guys recommend to buy and how much?
Direct bolt on, OEM components. Everything you need is in the box.

I have it with my Borla S Types and you can still hear them. When you're not hard on the throttle, you don't hear too much out of the sides.

I ordered mine from www.buyfordracing.com, $699 shipped.
Old 7/25/12, 10:52 AM
Cobra R Member

I am once again contemplating getting over axle pipes from Lethal, etc.... I need more volume from my GT500's AB's.

Any one have aftermarket over-axle pipes that can attest to whether or not they like it? I am contemplating getting some...
Try to find some 11-12 GT500 OTA pipes. I have a set of 09 GT500 OTAs that will need a shop to tweak to fit. Either way I hear getting the OTA pipes is very difficult on jack stands, not enough height.

I also may just have a shop weld pipe in place of the resonators. Been to 2 shops, neither have stainless pipe lol.

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 7/25/12 at 10:53 AM.
Old 7/25/12, 03:01 PM
GT Member

I have it with my Borla S Types and you can still hear them. When you're not hard on the throttle, you don't hear too much out of the sides.

I went with the Boss kit also, same vendor. I've had my GT500s on for over a year, and I wanted a bit more. I hesitated to get the kit for a long time because of the price, but once I got it installed, I called myself an idiot for not getting it sooner. The sound is amazing, and worth every penny.

The only downside is installation (getting the stock H-pipe out is a PITA), so I paid to get it done versus doing it myself. Still worth it, at least to me.

The kit accentuates the volume control of the throttle; like Overboost said, keep your foot out of it, you don't get much. It's incredibly mellow when you act like it. When you want to go, ho boy does she go.

Another member here has the '11 GT500 over-axle pipes that have no resonators, can't remember who. He shared some vids and that was a very awesome sound too. Getting the equipment would be the hard part there.
Old 7/25/12, 03:39 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Try to find some 11-12 GT500 OTA pipes. I have a set of 09 GT500 OTAs that will need a shop to tweak to fit. Either way I hear getting the OTA pipes is very difficult on jack stands, not enough height.

I also may just have a shop weld pipe in place of the resonators. Been to 2 shops, neither have stainless pipe lol.
Originally Posted by druice
I went with the Boss kit also, same vendor. I've had my GT500s on for over a year, and I wanted a bit more. I hesitated to get the kit for a long time because of the price, but once I got it installed, I called myself an idiot for not getting it sooner. The sound is amazing, and worth every penny.

The only downside is installation (getting the stock H-pipe out is a PITA), so I paid to get it done versus doing it myself. Still worth it, at least to me.

The kit accentuates the volume control of the throttle; like Overboost said, keep your foot out of it, you don't get much. It's incredibly mellow when you act like it. When you want to go, ho boy does she go.

Another member here has the '11 GT500 over-axle pipes that have no resonators, can't remember who. He shared some vids and that was a very awesome sound too. Getting the equipment would be the hard part there.
Thank you for all the input guys... Sounds like if I went with the boss pipe, I have to remove the stock h pipe which can be a pain? Maybe I can just pay a shop to do that?

I was wondering, do either of you have a video of the sound of the boss pipes installed with either your gt500s or borla s types? I would love to hear the difference.

And as far as gt500 ota pipes, can't I just buy the stock parts from anywhere too? Not just takeoffs?
Old 7/25/12, 05:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah you could buy them except they're like 245 per side. Yikes!!
Old 7/26/12, 12:39 PM
GT Member

I've been wanting to shoot some new video. Took some initial passes the first day I had the Boss pipes on, but I was very timid on the throttle. I was in my neighborhood with some traffic, and wasn't sure about pushing it just yet. Need to find a less traveled patch of road. I can post something up in a few days.

The other Boss exhaust thread had some good vids of other setups.
https://themustangsource.com/f800/bo...ussion-503279/
Old 7/26/12, 05:49 PM

I wanted a little more from my GT500 mufflers also and just installed GT500 OTA pipes and Bassani after cat x-pipe. Almost no popping on decel now, which is something I didn't care for with the GT500 mufflers, barely louder at idle or cruise but louder/deeper and smoother under any load or WOT
Old 7/26/12, 06:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Scober
I wanted a little more from my GT500 mufflers also and just installed GT500 OTA pipes and Bassani after cat x-pipe. Almost no popping on decel now, which is something I didn't care for with the GT500 mufflers, barely louder at idle or cruise but louder/deeper and smoother under any load or WOT
How is that bassani after cat X?? How is the fitment??? It looks like one of the nicest pieces I've seen for our cars, But the price reflects. I was thinking of going with it for my X
Old 7/26/12, 07:42 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by druice
I've been wanting to shoot some new video. Took some initial passes the first day I had the Boss pipes on, but I was very timid on the throttle. I was in my neighborhood with some traffic, and wasn't sure about pushing it just yet. Need to find a less traveled patch of road. I can post something up in a few days.

The other Boss exhaust thread had some good vids of other setups.
https://themustangsource.com/f800/bo...ussion-503279/
Thank you for this link. Looks like I have some reading and listening to do.

Originally Posted by Scober
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
How is that bassani after cat X?? How is the fitment??? It looks like one of the nicest pieces I've seen for our cars, But the price reflects. I was thinking of going with it for my X
Bassani after cat x eh? I need to do research on these too. Any sound or video clips on this set up with the GT500's? I am really dreading removing my stock h pipe Sounds like if I go with either the Boss quads or the Bassani x pipe, I have to remove the stock h

One last comment, in regards to the pop on decel, maybe it's just me, but I actually like it Sounds very muscle-car-y to me. But what do I know. Lol. So I actually would NOT like it if that popping sound was removed. Same worry applies with the Boss quads... I hope my "tone" and decel pop does not change, from my GT500s
Old 7/26/12, 07:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
The Boss Quad Pipes are easy. Removing the stock H pipe is just a couple of clamps

Remove the exhaust baffels and it will sound awesome!!

Here is a quick video with the stock exhaust

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=P1080168.mp4

Last edited by ford20; 7/26/12 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: X-pipe/Exhaust questions