Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

X-pipe/Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/12, 10:48 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
X-pipe/Exhaust questions

I love my GT500's... but sometimes, I crave just a tad more noise

I was looking into an off-road x-pipe, but after doing more research, realized, that cats get removed. So that's a no-go for me.

So, what else can I do for the slightly more sound?

Cut out the resonators are an option, but thats permanent, and if I ever switch axle backs, drone might occur. Plus I don't really feel like cutting into my 5.0.

So I guess my only option is to switch to a louder axle back? Like a magna flow or a borla atak? I just love the tone of my gt500s tho.....

hmmm what else you guys think?
Old 5/27/12, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are catted x pipes
Old 5/27/12, 11:04 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by gruiz_06
There are catted x pipes
oooh details please? Can anyone speak to their catted x pipes? brand? How's the sound paired with whichever axle back they have???

edit: I don't care much for power gain or power loss from these mods. I have no power appetite to curb. Sound is all I'm after.
Old 5/27/12, 12:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I got the lethal x pipe in 409 stainless because of the removable cat deletes only to find the x did not fit whatsoever. Had an exhaust shop heat the pipe and bend for a fit. Needed to be welded as well at both ends due to the poor fit causing leaks through the clamps.

Besides that, an x really cleans up the sound overall, especially under WOT.
Old 5/27/12, 12:56 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by flySWA737
I got the lethal x pipe in 409 stainless because of the removable cat deletes only to find the x did not fit whatsoever. Had an exhaust shop heat the pipe and bend for a fit. Needed to be welded as well at both ends due to the poor fit causing leaks through the clamps.

Besides that, an x really cleans up the sound over all, especially under WOT.
Wow all that hassle for an xpipe. Maybe its not worth it all the leaks and stuff? So lethal makes an xpipe with cats on?

I am also worried about drone with the pairing to gt500s
Old 5/27/12, 01:00 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A replacement X pipe won't have cats on it unless you buy an off road one. You can remove the factory H pipe without touching the cats. They're a PITA to get to.
Old 5/27/12, 02:53 PM
Bullitt Member

X-pipe/Exhaust questions-image-4242662918.jpg
Old 5/27/12, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

What about bassani? Do they make one?
Old 5/27/12, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I used the Pypes 3" X pipe from AM. It bolts on after cat and then welds into the system. Since welding was involved anyway, I had 3" pipe welded onto the X pipe and back past the resonators eliminating them. I liked the sound of my GT500's before but love it now. Removing the restrictive H pipe and resonators really improved sound and exhaust flow. It sounds great under throttle but no drone at all at cruise. I think you would like it as much as I do!
Old 5/27/12, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
I used the Pypes 3" X pipe from AM. It bolts on after cat and then welds into the system. Since welding was involved anyway, I had 3" pipe welded onto the X pipe and back past the resonators eliminating them. I liked the sound of my GT500's before but love it now. Removing the restrictive H pipe and resonators really improved sound and exhaust flow. It sounds great under throttle but no drone at all at cruise. I think you would like it as much as I do!
Did u go with the catted x pipe or non? Do you have a video of how it sounds? I m thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 5/27/12, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gruiz_06
Did u go with the catted x pipe or non? Do you have a video of how it sounds? I m thinking of doing the same thing.
The x pipe I used bolts on after the stock cats, so you keep the stock cats in place. There are several videos posted already which is what I used to figure out what I wanted. There is a sticky in the 10-14 mods section under the 5.0 engine mods section... MBreinin also did a whole thread and tested all kinds of different combinations, he had the GT500's with the X pipe sound clip, did a lot more mods, spent a lot more money and then ended up back with the GT500's. Look it up, just use good speakers or head phones for the best sound.

Last edited by Trumpetlon; 5/27/12 at 03:31 PM.
Old 5/27/12, 03:50 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
A replacement X pipe won't have cats on it unless you buy an off road one. You can remove the factory H pipe without touching the cats. They're a PITA to get to.
Now I'm really confused. I thought that's why they were called offroad x pipes since they remove the cats. So you're saying o/r x pipes come with cats? I just want something to replace the stock h pipe that makes it sound good.
Old 5/27/12, 03:57 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Now I'm really confused. I thought that's why they were called offroad x pipes since they remove the cats. So you're saying o/r x pipes come with cats? I just want something to replace the stock h pipe that makes it sound good.
Then you just want a basic X-pipe. I have the Corsa X-pipe and had to remove it and have the slip joint on the driver's side welded because it leaked. Ford Racing makes an X-pipe for the 2011+ cars that's affordable:

I found it for $229 from buyfordracing.com:
http://www.buyfordracing.com/product...%252dPIPE.html
Old 5/27/12, 03:58 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
they have h pipes, x pipes and when the term off road is added that means it removes the cats. thats why its now off road only. so if its a x pipe or h pipe and it doesnt say off road its installed after teh cats.

Last edited by Flagstang; 5/27/12 at 04:00 PM.
Old 5/27/12, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Basically, you can buy 3 kinds of x pipes (or h pipes for that matter)

1) x pipes that come with high-flow cats (catted x pipe)

2) x pipes that come with no cats, but have extra pipe where the cats would be so that you can eliminate the cats (off-road x pipe)

3) x pipes that simply mount behind the factory cats

If it were me, I would go with the high-flow catted x pipe (most expensive option), but sounds like to me since you only want more sound, you should just an x pipe that mounts to the factory cats.

Hope this helps!
Old 5/27/12, 04:47 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Mikey

2) x pipes that come with no cats, but have extra pipe where the cats would be so that you can eliminate the cats (off-road x pipe)

If it were me, I would go with the high-flow catted x pipe (most expensive option), but sounds like to me since you only want more sound, you should just an x pipe that mounts to the factory cats.

Hope this helps!
Well said.
Old 5/27/12, 05:19 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
Then you just want a basic X-pipe. I have the Corsa X-pipe and had to remove it and have the slip joint on the driver's side welded because it leaked. Ford Racing makes an X-pipe for the 2011+ cars that's affordable:

I found it for $229 from buyfordracing.com:
http://www.buyfordracing.com/product...%252dPIPE.html
Originally Posted by Flagstang
they have h pipes, x pipes and when the term off road is added that means it removes the cats. thats why its now off road only. so if its a x pipe or h pipe and it doesnt say off road its installed after teh cats.
Originally Posted by Mikey

Hope this helps!
Wow guys... These posts you did really helps. I feel much more informed now . 'twas so complicated...lol. Thank you very much

So yes, sounds like I want just an xpipe. So ford racing offers an xpipe? Nice! I can stick with ford brands.

Additional questions tho
1) how do simple xpipes (ford racing) sound with a decent exhaust like the gt500? Does it make it deeper? Rattlier? Still no drone I hope? Do any of you have a vid or sound clip?

2) after what overboost said earlier, I am worried about the install and leaks and welding etc....was it a pain to get to or Was this a simple install? I was hoping just to do it myself under jack stands.
Old 5/27/12, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I m thinking of getting the FRPP and ford racing x pipe. I dont whether to cut off the resonators or not.

I know theres better tunes out there and maybe better x pipes/axle backs, but I really dont want to risk voiding my warranty. Plus going from a 04 v6 for 8 years to a 5.0 is a big step in terms of power and i still get a little nervous when i step on the gas....lol, so i m more than fine with the power its making now.

I was thinking of even maybe doing a ford racing build ( FR handling pack, FR decal in the rear window, and other accessories, who knows maybe even a FR whipple at one point). It may sound like a waste of money to some people but for some reason I like doing the same brands of things in mostly everything. Weird I know!

Would like to know u alls opinions, so bring ur 2 cents lol
Old 5/27/12, 06:35 PM
I Have No Life

followup to my question, no need for a tune after a ford racing x pipe, correct?
Old 5/27/12, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

followup to my question, no need for a tune after a ford racing x pipe, correct?
Correct, no tune needed with ford racing xpipe.

Quick Reply: X-pipe/Exhaust questions