Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Why are the GT500 Axle Backs so expensive now

Search this Thread

Old 3/3/15, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't seem to find the Boss quads anywhere... Where did you get them?

I purchased mine from buyfordracing.com (I think it was $795 or something like that). Unfortunately, it appears as if the pieces are no longer in production (which might be the issue with the GT500 ABs- although they come stock on Shelbys, and I thought manufacturers were required to keep replacement parts in stock for a number of years).
Old 3/3/15, 09:19 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Varilux

Your GT sounds great. And the 401A Brick Red looks fantastic w/SGM. Good job.
Old 3/3/15, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Varilux

Very nice classic looking mustang, pin stripes and red interior goes together great. Also have another toy hiding in the garage
Old 3/3/15, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Very nice classic looking mustang, pin stripes and red interior goes together great. Also have another toy hiding in the garage.

Thanks- I factory ordered the '14 (first time I ever ordered a car from scratch), so everything on the car is "just like I wanted it." I love red interiors (the other toy in the garage has a red interior as well ).

I stripped the '65 down to its shell before rebuilding it, so I'm on the hook for all the cosmetic decisions on that one as well. They present a pretty pair when I open the garage door!

Old 3/3/15, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

That looks awesome, great choices. The mods compliment everything well. I'm sure you get a smile opening up the door lol
Old 3/3/15, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Nice ride..Love the color combo. That must be an old picture of your 2014. I dont see the boss grill and gauge pod. I really like the red interior.
Old 3/3/15, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks- haven't really taken any pics since installing the grille and gauges! You can see both (the gauges if you look really hard ) in this pic.

Back to the topic of the GT500 ABs, I think I paid like $289 or something like that for them, but I notice they are up to $499 now... in fact, the Roush ABs are now $30 cheaper on AmericanMuscle. I wonder if they are cutting production on parts to "encourage" folks to move over to the S550 platform. I saw a '15 GT in a parking lot at lunch today, and meh- it still hasn't managed to grow on me.
Old 3/3/15, 05:25 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
Very nice classic looking mustang, pin stripes and red interior goes together great. Also have another toy hiding in the garage. Thanks- I factory ordered the '14 (first time I ever ordered a car from scratch), so everything on the car is "just like I wanted it." I love red interiors (the other toy in the garage has a red interior as well ). I stripped the '65 down to its shell before rebuilding it, so I'm on the hook for all the cosmetic decisions on that one as well. They present a pretty pair when I open the garage door!
Pete, I remember your car since it's one of my all time faves on this forum. Simple and tastefully done. I remember your ride because of the partner 65 . Beautiful cars sir.

As to your comment on the '15, same with me. So glad we have our cars.
Old 3/3/15, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
Thanks- haven't really taken any pics since installing the grille and gauges! You can see both (the gauges if you look really hard ) in this pic.

Back to the topic of the GT500 ABs, I think I paid like $289 or something like that for them, but I notice they are up to $499 now... in fact, the Roush ABs are now $30 cheaper on AmericanMuscle. I wonder if they are cutting production on parts to "encourage" folks to move over to the S550 platform. I saw a '15 GT in a parking lot at lunch today, and meh- it still hasn't managed to grow on me.
I don't think the S550 will ever grow on me. The profile of the new pony looks like a 370Z and I hate how the "b" pillar is invisible. In short, I am not a fan.
Old 3/3/15, 06:09 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
I don't think the S550 will ever grow on me. The profile of the new pony looks like a 370Z and I hate how the "b" pillar is invisible. In short, I am not a fan.
+1000
I waited until they were released to the public before I bought my 2014, and then revisit them every time I go to the dealership for the free oil changes. I disliked them in pictures, and think they are even uglier in person. The interior is nice, but I actually dislike the fake toggles...

To each their own, but I really am glad I got my 2014 when I did.
Old 3/3/15, 06:18 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Do the GT500 quads give any hp/torque increase? I figure it wouldn't be much, but surely they flow better than the stock mufflers.

Last edited by SpectreH; 3/5/15 at 11:57 AM.
Old 3/3/15, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Azrael
+1000
I waited until they were released to the public before I bought my 2014, and then revisit them every time I go to the dealership for the free oil changes. I disliked them in pictures, and think they are even uglier in person. The interior is nice, but I actually dislike the fake toggles...

To each their own, but I really am glad I got my 2014 when I did.
Funny. I also waited for the reveal. Hated it and ordered my car last February. The car arrived in May and I haven't looked back since. The fact is Ford is beginning to cater to a different market with the Mustang. Ford is moving away from the drag racer market and moving towards the road racer. If you read all the articles the NHRA is dying and Ford is just being smart. The S197 5.0 cars are the last true muscle car....................IMO
Old 3/5/15, 11:29 AM
GT Member

I just ordered my set of M-5230-MGTCA1 11-12 GT500 axle backs. As noticed by many, they are out of stock and back ordered until end of June. The list price went way up so the pricing is going up as well. I found my set through Summit and they price matched $285+ship ($310 total). I was on the fence of these or the quad tip GT500. I will run these for now, and at some point maybe mod for a Boss diffuser as at that point I can go between these and quads by swapping diffusers (I just hate the thought of cutting a pristine bumber).

I like others ordered my 2014 after seeing the 2015's. The 2015 is growing on me a bit, but I still greatly prefer the retro look of my 2014 and the Glass Top is an awesome feature.
Old 3/5/15, 11:55 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo302
I was on the fence of these or the quad tip GT500. I will run these for now, and at some point maybe mod for a Boss diffuser as at that point I can go between these and quads by swapping diffusers (I just hate the thought of cutting a pristine bumber).

I like others ordered my 2014 after seeing the 2015's. The 2015 is growing on me a bit, but I still greatly prefer the retro look of my 2014 and the Glass Top is an awesome feature.

That was hard for me as well, but once the bumper is off, you will see Ford has everything marked well as to where to cut/drill. I put painters tape on the painted side to reduce the risk of the paint flaking or peeling as I cut from the inside of the bumper cover.

Last edited by SpectreH; 3/5/15 at 12:00 PM.
Old 3/5/15, 04:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Turbo302
I just ordered my set of M-5230-MGTCA1 11-12 GT500 axle backs. As noticed by many, they are out of stock and back ordered until end of June. The list price went way up so the pricing is going up as well. I found my set through Summit and they price matched $285+ship ($310 total). I was on the fence of these or the quad tip GT500. I will run these for now, and at some point maybe mod for a Boss diffuser as at that point I can go between these and quads by swapping diffusers (I just hate the thought of cutting a pristine bumber). I like others ordered my 2014 after seeing the 2015's. The 2015 is growing on me a bit, but I still greatly prefer the retro look of my 2014 and the Glass Top is an awesome feature.
Where did they price match from?
Old 3/5/15, 04:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wonger
Where did they price match from?

fordracingpartsbydonwood.com I googled the part number and they were one of the vendors in shop google. I see that the link doesn't go anywhere on their site today. They must have caught on. I got lucky and my set is on the way from Summit. I would think they would price match Steeda as its still avail on their site for $319 but I bet not for too much longer...
Old 3/9/15, 12:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the tips. I googled and found the same link, too late, but did get them from Summit. Steeda has the same price as a few others. I actually used a different Mustang builder as the price match. I'm so lucky to have Summit just 15 minutes from work. That place is amazing.
Old 3/9/15, 07:09 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Azrael
+1000 I waited until they were released to the public before I bought my 2014, and then revisit them every time I go to the dealership for the free oil changes. I disliked them in pictures, and think they are even uglier in person. The interior is nice, but I actually dislike the fake toggles... To each their own, but I really am glad I got my 2014 when I did.
Fake toggles? Or cheapish toggles? Because they definitely work just fine
Old 3/9/15, 07:14 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
Fake toggles? Or cheapish toggles? Because they definitely work just fine
Toggle switches, at least as they were intended in that application, are supposed to flip up or down. In the S550 they go one way (I believe up only), hence fake.
Old 3/9/15, 09:03 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Toggle switches, at least as they were intended in that application, are supposed to flip up or down. In the S550 they go one way (I believe up only), hence fake.
True true i didnt think about that. I even tried it when i sat and test drove one but didnt think to the "fake" aspect

Quick Reply: Why are the GT500 Axle Backs so expensive now