Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Why are the GT500 Axle Backs so expensive now

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/15, 11:20 AM
Len
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by houtex
Hm. Unlike my other post, which was a 'market adjustment' idea that I said "nahh.." and then wished for the self delete... Which, by the way, the market adjustment is easily plausible, as in maybe y'all are wanting more than they can make, so why not make more money on them, right?

No, I have a sneaking suspicion that Ford is about to keep that price up there for about 6 months, then drop the hammer on the price to "you'd be stupid not to" pricing, then a couple of months later, stop sellin' these mufflers, discontinuing the product.

It's an educated guess, for I've seen it happen before. They did this to 85.5-86 SVO headlamp assemblies, and then again for '93-96 Mark VIII headlamp assemblies.

This will be interesting to see if this is the case.

Eh. Maybe it is 'dealer markup' for popularity though.
I might have agreed with your "market adjustment" comment (If I'm understanding you correctly) except for Levittown Ford using the term MSRP. I think it's an official increase. Won't know for sure until the 2015 FRPP catalog is available but I don't think it's a temporary "dealer markup" based on supply and demand.

Speaking of "market adjustment", I was at the Atlantic City Car Show & Auction yesterday and they had a new Hellcat Challenger for sale with a market adjustment of $18,000.

Last edited by Len; 2/28/15 at 01:19 PM.
Old 2/28/15, 11:47 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They sound great, don't get me wrong... But the price was the biggest reason I bought them! I would have bought the Roush axlebacks for that price. I'm assuming it's not that they are jacking it up because of popularity... But more because they are discontinuing. It's a 2011 gt500 oem part, and it's 2015 working into 2016 model year. Makes sense. If they start going that direction in price then I might just sell mine for what i paid and get borlas

All kidding aside, it's a shame they've went up because it's a great sounding muffler for the coyote, and really a good price below $300. Just wish the tips were walled instead of just the slash cut... Still better than stock I guess
Old 2/28/15, 04:08 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Even at that price they're still cheap, I had to give $50,000 for mine.
Old 2/28/15, 06:35 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by pressman43
My GT500's will be coming off in about a month for a pair of Borla's or Corsa's so they will be looking for a home. I bought them and had the dealer put them on before I picked her up.
Lol same thing I did. Had the gt500 ab's on for a few months. Wasn't enough. Corsas now, 2.5 years later. Love em.
Old 2/28/15, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I got mine new about a year ago for about $250. I also bought another new set from someone on one of the forums for under $300 as well in case mine got damaged. I'm glad I bought the second set now. I love how this exhaust sounds, especially with the no resonator GT500 OTA pipes that I also have on the car.

Wayne
Old 2/28/15, 08:56 PM
GT Member

I just got the whole M-5230-MSVTCD kit for $625 from Tousley Ford, which is now AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake. That was for the quads and the valance and all of the valance installation hardware (which most people don't use because they buy the valance and quads separate - and it isn't really needed). I just figured it was a decent price for a $250 valance it would equate the quads at $375, and it was with free shipping.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...m-5230-msvtcd/

Also, Shelby America on Ebay, occasionally runs auctions for the quads, lowest I have seen a take-off set go for was $180.

Last edited by Azrael; 2/28/15 at 08:58 PM.
Old 2/28/15, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

How are they different from roush? Sound wise

Last edited by RedGT12; 2/28/15 at 09:41 PM.
Old 2/28/15, 10:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Len
I might have agreed with your "market adjustment" comment (If I'm understanding you correctly) except for Levittown Ford using the term MSRP. I think it's an official increase. Won't know for sure until the 2015 FRPP catalog is available but I don't think it's a temporary "dealer markup" based on supply and demand.

Speaking of "market adjustment", I was at the Atlantic City Car Show & Auction yesterday and they had a new Hellcat Challenger for sale with a market adjustment of $18,000.
You misunderstand what I meant, I think, in that Ford themselves have decided to just put the 'adjustment' in the price, because they can. The market might show that by having the muffler be *too* popular, and when that happens...

I'm not sayin' they are. I'm just sayin' they might.
Old 3/1/15, 04:13 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Astenax
I paid $260 @ LMR for mine. Ive always felt like they were under priced!
I always thought that too. Especially since the M-5230-s (KR's) for the 08-09's never came down.
Old 3/1/15, 07:10 AM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by houtex
You misunderstand what I meant, I think, in that Ford themselves have decided to just put the 'adjustment' in the price, because they can. The market might show that by having the muffler be *too* popular, and when that happens...

I'm not sayin' they are. I'm just sayin' they might.
You could be right since I don't think the material costs to produce the muffler have gone up by anywhere near the percentage they've increased the price. The new pricing is more in line with what FRPP has been charging for their sport and touring axel backs.
Old 3/2/15, 01:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RedGT12
Hard to describe sound but I would say not as loud (for sure) and not as raspy at higher RPMs. GT500s maybe a little deeper tone too Roush sounds good too though. Tons of clips on YouTube
Old 3/2/15, 02:44 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by RedGT12
I'd say throaty and deep, but not obnoxious. Mine sounds especially nice when the top is down.

Here's a vid going thru a short tunnel in Blairstown, NJ a few months ago. The background noise you hear is wind....I was topless on a mid-30 degree day.

Old 3/2/15, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

The Roush mufflers are too freaking loud for me. I've already got the discs out of my side exhaust and I was thinking the GT500 mufflers with no disc or a 5/8 or so hole would be about perfect. I had the GT500 mufflers on my '12 GT within an hour of ownership. $320 is as cheap as I can find. Watson Racing has a few cool parts for me to order. Clutch line and trans scoop. Maybe Boss 302s wheels.
Old 3/2/15, 08:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wish I could post a video of my setup. My phone won't let me. When I get my new phone I will.
When I put my roush ab on I thought it woke it up pretty good. After few months I was bored again. I felt I should of went borla. Everyone told me to listen to my car go down the road. They thought it was loud enough. Lol
Now I took off my cats off and the h pipe made it a little deeper. There's a raspy, little backfire noise. And sooo much louder..
Such a cool sound. I'm curious if I will like it after 2 hours with the top down.
I really can't wait to go thru a tunnel. Wake up the dead
Old 3/3/15, 12:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I tried to order these today from a vendor that showed the old price and was told that they were backordered from Ford Racing until July. So this might be a temporary market adjustment.

This vendor told me that M-5230-MGTCA ("Touring") and M-5230-MGTLA ("Sport") were both readily available.

I hear a LOT about the GT500 axle backs, anyone have an opinion on the other Ford Racing offerings?
Old 3/3/15, 12:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I tried to order these today from a vendor that showed the old price and was told that they were backordered from Ford Racing until July. So this might be a temporary market adjustment.

This vendor told me that M-5230-MGTCA ("Touring") and M-5230-MGTLA ("Sport") were both readily available.

I hear a LOT about the GT500 axle backs, anyone have an opinion on the other Ford Racing offerings?
either people run the single outlet gt500 muffler or a few pony up and go to the 13-14 quad outlet but that also gets expensive due to the valance swap.

If it were me I would wait for the older gt500 muffler. I love them. No drone at highway speed and they have a nice tone when you jump on the go pedal.
Old 3/3/15, 06:13 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
either people run the single outlet gt500 muffler or a few pony up and go to the 13-14 quad outlet but that also gets expensive due to the valance swap.

If it were me I would wait for the older gt500 muffler. I love them. No drone at highway speed and they have a nice tone when you jump on the go pedal.

Muffler choices are subjective, and everyone has their favorites. But there's no disputing that the GT500 AB's are the biggest bang for the least buck. I wouldn't be surprised that they're the most popular muffler swap here.
Old 3/3/15, 07:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Well, yeah, that's what I noticed. So the Sport and Touring are more money and don't sound as good? I mean there are almost no reviews of the Touring anywhere.
This isn't a patience thing for me, it's a "might be history" thing.
Old 3/3/15, 08:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the GT500 ABs on my '14, and my neighbor had a '13 with the Roush ABs. The Roush is a bit louder (maybe 10%), and gets more "gargly" at higher RPMs. Honestly, they both sound pretty much equally great- just slightly different.

Last year, I added the Boss 302 side exhaust (without the restrictor plates). To my ear, its the absolute best exhaust set up I've heard on a S197.
Old 3/3/15, 08:58 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
I have the GT500 ABs on my '14, and my neighbor had a '13 with the Roush ABs. The Roush is a bit louder (maybe 10%), and gets more "gargly" at higher RPMs. Honestly, they both sound pretty much equally great- just slightly different.

Last year, I added the Boss 302 side exhaust (without the restrictor plates). To my ear, its the absolute best exhaust set up I've heard on a S197.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=QXGppYHo_rU
That sounds great! Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the Boss quads anywhere... Where did you get them?

On a side note I went from Flowmaster Outlaws to 13-14 quad GT500s, and it is much quieter, but the exhaust sounds deeper.

Quick Reply: Why are the GT500 Axle Backs so expensive now