5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Who does best Ghost cam tune?

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/12, 08:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Ford Trackey Idle doesn't kick in until the Cats are warm to burn extra fuel, by removing the cats a more pronounced idle can be developed.
Old 9/21/12, 10:06 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Do all the Ghost Cam tuners require cats to be removed? Ford managed to do it on my 2012 Boss without removing them. I want lopey idle on the 2013 but i won't remove my cats to get it
I mean, Technically you can run cats. However with the extra valve over lap that gives you the lopey idle will allow a lot of un burnt fuel to pass through the exhaust. This will get clogged up in your cats and over time it will either completely clog your cats or burn them out!

I hope this helps!

-Dan
Old 9/21/12, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Do all the Ghost Cam tuners require cats to be removed? Ford managed to do it on my 2012 Boss without removing them. I want lopey idle on the 2013 but i won't remove my cats to get it
We do not require the removal of the cats with our cam tunes. We have not seen any premature wearing of the cats in our own testing.
Old 9/22/12, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
I mean, Technically you can run cats. However with the extra valve over lap that gives you the lopey idle will allow a lot of un burnt fuel to pass through the exhaust. This will get clogged up in your cats and over time it will either completely clog your cats or burn them out!

I hope this helps!

-Dan
Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
We do not require the removal of the cats with our cam tunes. We have not seen any premature wearing of the cats in our own testing.
O.....K...... better safe than sorry
Old 9/27/12, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
don't fool yourself .... sales gimicks are just that!!! Remove the cats because they will burn up! You are new to the cam tune steeda and I am sure you will have people calling you and complaining in the near future because of your claims of "stock cats will be fine, don't worry about that burning smell coming out of your exhaust"
Old 9/27/12, 12:48 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by stang8psi
don't fool yourself .... sales gimicks are just that!!! Remove the cats because they will burn up! You are new to the cam tune steeda and I am sure you will have people calling you and complaining in the near future because of your claims of "stock cats will be fine, don't worry about that burning smell coming out of your exhaust"
Really? This again?

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
You really should re-read my post. I posted actual tech referencing cam angles at startup, idle kickdown timers, etc. Tech is not a sales pitch.

We took well over a year after other people released their cam tunes before we released ours for a reason. The same Steeda Sport that has been all over the magazines and just went a 10.88 at almost 127 on STOCK CATS at Bradenton last weekend was one of our test cars. That car has never had the cats off it and has been beat to death. With all its been through the cats are still perfect. Again these are my facts, not a factless opinion or a sales pitch.

Here is another factual observation. If you stand right next to the rear exhaust on a true cold start on a STOCK tune, you will detect a bit of richness in the exhaust at first. With our tune it behaves the exact same way.
The following users liked this post:
Tonster82 (3/4/21)
Old 9/27/12, 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Let me start off by saying I am not trying to be a hater here.....
I never understood this fad of "Fake Cams" with a tune (Sounds retarded IMHO anyways).....either get real cams installed $$$ or get a normal tune.

Sorry to p!ss anyone off.....but it's Just my $.02

P.S> cant wrap my head around this "Blackout Roof" Fad either, it looks terrible!!!
To each their own I guess.

Last edited by Nocturnal'14; 9/27/12 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10/1/12, 01:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Uin2it
I never understood this fad of "Fake Cams" with a tune (Sounds retarded IMHO anyways).....either get real cams installed $$$ or get a normal tune.

P.S> cant wrap my head around this "Blackout Roof" Fad either, it looks terrible!!!
I look at it from the opposite end. Any conventional engine that revs to 8000 is going to have a much rougher idle than the 5.0, and at about 1200 just to keep running. If anything the stock Coyote has a "fake" smooth idle by virtue of the VVT.
Old 10/1/12, 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the answer is very simple, the same reason that people install actual cams, sound and power.

The sound part is pretty obvious, i think a lot of people without an experienced ear wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a cam tune and an engine with lopey cams.

As for the power, yea you're not gaining as much as you would with cams, but you HAVE made gains since you are running a performance tune.

So there you have it, sound and power.

Now if one of the tuners could get down the driveability part of it it's actually not a bad deal for the relatively little money involved.

That's my 2 cents on it.
Tonster82 (3/4/21)
Old 10/2/12, 12:17 AM
Cobra R Member

I wanted to reply to this a few days ago, but it looks like some people touched the subject already.
Basically isnt this no different then when people swap out mufflers? It doesnt add any sdditional power in most cases but you do it because you enjoy the sound
.Well loopy idle tunes are no different, its for the sound.
Tonster82 (3/4/21)
Old 10/2/12, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc

I look at it from the opposite end. Any conventional engine that revs to 8000 is going to have a much rougher idle than the 5.0, and at about 1200 just to keep running. If anything the stock Coyote has a "fake" smooth idle by virtue of the VVT.
Exactly. A not so short time ago max revs on a stock v-8 were 5k or so. Now they are spinning them to 7-8k a smooth idle wouldn't be possible without vvt
Old 10/2/12, 11:19 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by UnrealFord
I wanted to reply to this a few days ago, but it looks like some people touched the subject already.
Basically isnt this no different then when people swap out mufflers? It doesnt add any sdditional power in most cases but you do it because you enjoy the sound
.Well loopy idle tunes are no different, its for the sound.
This is a perfect example. The Ghost Cam is strictly for sound once you tap the gas or pull away your tunes back to its regular characteristics. Cam's are a really expensive mod and job, Obviously we all want more power but lets be honest the sound of a Rowdy idle in a Mustang is unbelievable!

This file is free for all of our free tunes for life members so if it's not for you it doesn't cost anything additional! I hope this helps clear things up let me know if you guys have any questions.

-Dan
Old 10/2/12, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
Exactly. A not so short time ago max revs on a stock v-8 were 5k or so. Now they are spinning them to 7-8k a smooth idle wouldn't be possible without vvt
99-01 cobras rev limit 7000.. ford just got smart and it took 12 years to be able to make them tivct! Ford motor company the last to figgure out how to do it on a v8. lol
Old 10/2/12, 03:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

P.S> cant wrap my head around this "Blackout Roof" Fad either, it looks terrible!!!To each their own I guess.
my 2012 Boss 302 came with the Blackout Roof from the factory and it looked fantastic.....

Name:  photobucket-4139-1309635459325.jpg
Views: 2381
Size:  53.8 KB
Old 10/2/12, 04:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Lopey idle sounds horrible In my opinion...thats all Im saying. I cant figure out why people want their car to sound ridiculous. Its much like putting a fart can on a honda.

As for the Blacked out roof looking fantastic...I DISAGREE fully here sir. Im not trying to be mean here, just speaking my opinion. The picture posted above would look much better if the black on the hood flowed into the black on the roof (Same width) but as it is the whole roof is done and a slight portion of the hood....NOW, If the whole hood and top of trunk was blacked out then it would make sense to me.

Let me admit that I am sure there are things I have done/will do to my car that others will not like. Fine with me, to each their own. Just don't expect everyone to like the Lopey tunes or blackout roofs. Cause they don't!
Old 10/2/12, 05:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Lopey idle sounds horrible In my opinion...thats all Im saying. I cant figure out why people want their car to sound ridiculous. Its much like putting a fart can on a honda.

As for the Blacked out roof looking fantastic...I DISAGREE fully here sir. Im not trying to be mean here, just speaking my opinion. The picture posted above would look much better if the black on the hood flowed into the black on the roof (Same width) but as it is the whole roof is done and a slight portion of the hood....NOW, If the whole hood and top of trunk was blacked out then it would make sense to me.

Let me admit that I am sure there are things I have done/will do to my car that others will not like. Fine with me, to each their own. Just don't expect everyone to like the Lopey tunes or blackout roofs. Cause they don't!
Now that would look like crap....IMO
Old 10/2/12, 08:02 PM
Banned

I'll go out again and say that Bama has been amazingly enthusiastic about working with me. At this point my standard idle tunes are strong and surge free with my JLT, and with each new tune for the cam tune, they seem to be dialing it in more and more. Nearly there on the cam tune, but my fiancée can't seem to work well with the different characteristics, and is continuously stalling it out.
Old 10/3/12, 12:06 AM
Cobra R Member

These are all the reasons why the Mustang community is fun and interesting. When I see another Boss I look forward to seeing something unique, even if its not my taste.
Attending Carlisle and Mustang Week you see soo many Mustangs of the same years but barely ever see the identical 2.
Old 10/3/12, 09:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
I'll go out again and say that Bama has been amazingly enthusiastic about working with me. At this point my standard idle tunes are strong and surge free with my JLT, and with each new tune for the cam tune, they seem to be dialing it in more and more. Nearly there on the cam tune, but my fiancée can't seem to work well with the different characteristics, and is continuously stalling it out.
Does your fiancée drive with the A/C on? My wife had some issues with our Steeda cam tune stalling at stops. Finally realized when I drive the car I tend to roll down the windows and turn off the radio and just enjoy the sound of the car. My wife drives the Roush alot more than me so she naturally drives sometimes with the A/C on. After realizing this I tested it out and found that it's only when the A/C is that it has any issues, perfect with A/C off! I have to heel/toe the brake/gas every now and then with the A/C running, not a big deal for me.

Drive the car with A/C off and see if she has issues still.
Old 10/3/12, 07:38 PM
Banned

No, not the AC, it's an odd thing.

Newest revision went the wrong direction too for the cam tune. I have a feeling sooner or later we need to start data logging, instead of just trying out stuff.

Quick Reply: Who does best Ghost cam tune?