Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

What Size KOOK's Long Tube Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/17, 07:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
What Size KOOK's Long Tube Headers?

I'm going to be putting on some Kook's, Long Tube Headers. They have them in 1-5/8, 1-3/4, 1-7/8 and 2". For a 2013 GT, Naturally aspirated (CAI). 10K miles on it,(Summer car) Boss 302 Intake. What size should I go with?
I may Supercharge it later on but will need something that will work now with the option of putting forced induction on it at a later date.
Thought's?
Old 4/3/17, 09:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
If you're going FI, do the 1 7/8. I'm N/A and probably always will be, and I'm running Stainless Power 1 7/8. I did lose a little low end torque, but the mid-high RPM gains are crazy. You'll be just fine with the 1 7/8 until you go FI. With the 3.73s you won't miss the little bit of low end torque loss. It actually makes the car a little easier to launch.
Old 4/3/17, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
If you're going FI, do the 1 7/8. I'm N/A and probably always will be, and I'm running Stainless Power 1 7/8. I did lose a little low end torque, but the mid-high RPM gains are crazy. You'll be just fine with the 1 7/8 until you go FI. With the 3.73s you won't miss the little bit of low end torque loss. It actually makes the car a little easier to launch.
I have 3.15 gears, Auto Trans.
Old 4/3/17, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tourer
Do you have an X-Pipe or H-Pipe?
Old 4/3/17, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Do you have the X-Pipe or the H-Pipe?
Old 4/3/17, 09:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
2011 - 1 3/4" Kooks, " green " catted X pipe, stock mufflers.
2014 - 1 7/8" Kooks, " green " catted X pipe, stock mufflers.
N.J. is an inspection state, their " green " cats are 49 state legal.
The following users liked this post:
tourer (4/3/17)
Old 4/3/17, 10:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ah I thought you had a Boss 302. Better yet then. You won't notice the loss of torque then.

I'm running Solo Performance catback and high flow cats (welded to the collectors with a flange on the back so they mate up to the catback). The Solo exhaust is unique in that it has one central muffler with an x-pipe housed inside of the muffler. Dual in, dual out.
tourer (4/3/17)
Old 4/3/17, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
2011 - 1 3/4" Kooks, " green " catted X pipe, stock mufflers.
2014 - 1 7/8" Kooks, " green " catted X pipe, stock mufflers.
N.J. is an inspection state, their " green " cats are 49 state legal.
Yeah, I will be getting the GREEN Catted mid-pipe, I just haven't decided on an X or H pipe yet. I have a BBK X-Pipe on now with the stock exhaust manifolds and Roush Axle Backs, Sounds good but a little Raspy.
I hear (No pun intended) the H-Pipe is more of a throaty, muscle car sound but the X-Pipe give more HP on the mid and top end. Decisions, decisions.
Old 4/4/17, 05:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Yeah, I will be getting the GREEN Catted mid-pipe, I just haven't decided on an X or H pipe yet. I have a BBK X-Pipe on now with the stock exhaust manifolds and Roush Axle Backs, Sounds good but a little Raspy.
I hear (No pun intended) the H-Pipe is more of a throaty, muscle car sound but the X-Pipe give more HP on the mid and top end. Decisions, decisions.
Most people prefer the sound of an H pipe, I could care less.
The hp advantage the X has over the H may be 1-2 hp..
tourer (4/4/17)
Old 4/5/17, 08:19 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Tourer - glad you are leaning towards headers now. Hopefully our PM exchanges have helped you out.

As I stated before, I have 1-3/4" with green catted H. I am also blown. The gains and sound are impressive. Did you call Kooks to get their advice? I recommend you do that. Tell them your current mods and your future mods, and they can advise you as far as what to get.
tourer (4/5/17)
Old 4/5/17, 08:43 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kooks 1-5/8"

I plan on keeping my '14 Coyote 100% naturally aspirated. I went with the Kooks 1-5/8", which hardly no one runs. I have an off-road H-pipe w/Roush Axle backs. The car dyno'd at 420 RWHP and 405 Torque. It's sounds like a BEAST. I don't think you should go any higher than 1-3/4". These cars need the back pressure for low end torque. It's just not necessary to go any thicker...IMHO.
tourer (4/5/17)
Old 4/5/17, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by CubAndy
I plan on keeping my '14 Coyote 100% naturally aspirated. I went with the Kooks 1-5/8", which hardly no one runs. I have an off-road H-pipe w/Roush Axle backs. The car dyno'd at 420 RWHP and 405 Torque. It's sounds like a BEAST. I don't think you should go any higher than 1-3/4". These cars need the back pressure for low end torque. It's just not necessary to go any thicker...IMHO.
I should get mine dyno'd again. Before the headers, my car made 401/390 on AED's dyno. That was with their tune and the Solo catback and high flow cats. I wonder where I'm at because I have no problem lighting them up from a dig and it pulls like a raped ape above 4k
Old 4/5/17, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Smile

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Tourer - glad you are leaning towards headers now. Hopefully our PM exchanges have helped you out.

As I stated before, I have 1-3/4" with green catted H. I am also blown. The gains and sound are impressive. Did you call Kooks to get their advice? I recommend you do that. Tell them your current mods and your future mods, and they can advise you as far as what to get.
Dude, You've been a major help to me as has other on this site. Yes, I did call Kooks, Nice people, They recommended a 1-3/4" LTH as well, I'm going that way with the Green catted H-Pipe.
Thanks again.
Old 4/5/17, 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CubAndy
Yeah, I decided to go with the Kook's 1-3/4" LTH with their Green Catted H-Pipe. Can't wait to hear what she'll sound like.
Old 4/5/17, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I should get mine dyno'd again. Before the headers, my car made 401/390 on AED's dyno. That was with their tune and the Solo catback and high flow cats. I wonder where I'm at because I have no problem lighting them up from a dig and it pulls like a raped ape above 4k
I have to find a place with a Dyno myself, I would love to see what my Mustang would lay down for numbers.
Old 4/5/17, 10:29 AM
I Have No Life

Dude, You've been a major help to me as has other on this site. Yes, I did call Kooks, Nice people, They recommended a 1-3/4" LTH as well, I'm going that way with the Green catted H-Pipe.
Thanks again.
No problem. You won't be disappointed. Quality has been great.

Who's doing the install? Unless you have a lift, and have a LOT of tools and patience, I'd recommend having it professionally installed. I did ALL the mods on my car, except for those headers. No way Jose. FYI, it took my installer around 12 hours to completely do it.
tourer (4/6/17)
Old 4/6/17, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
No problem. You won't be disappointed. Quality has been great.

Who's doing the install? Unless you have a lift, and have a LOT of tools and patience, I'd recommend having it professionally installed. I did ALL the mods on my car, except for those headers. No way Jose. FYI, it took my installer around 12 hours to completely do it.
I've got a shop all lined up, they install headers on many cars and they quoted me a price for labor of $700 to no more than $800.00 for the install.
Old 4/6/17, 12:35 PM
I Have No Life

Thanks again.
I've got a shop all lined up, they install headers on many cars and they quoted me a price for labor of $700 to no more than $800.00 for the install.
Yep... that's about the same as I paid. That's a good price. Mine took longer, but he's a small shop. So yeah, jump on that shop of yours for that price! So worth it.

I assume you have videos of before and after? I love exhaust videos