The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   5.0L GT Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/)
-   -   What Size KOOK's Long Tube Headers? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/what-size-kooks-long-tube-headers-543722/)

tourer 4/3/17 07:23 AM

What Size KOOK's Long Tube Headers?

I'm going to be putting on some Kook's, Long Tube Headers. They have them in 1-5/8, 1-3/4, 1-7/8 and 2". For a 2013 GT, Naturally aspirated (CAI). 10K miles on it,(Summer car) Boss 302 Intake. What size should I go with?
I may Supercharge it later on but will need something that will work now with the option of putting forced induction on it at a later date.
Thought's?:dunno:

laserred38 4/3/17 09:08 AM

If you're going FI, do the 1 7/8. I'm N/A and probably always will be, and I'm running Stainless Power 1 7/8. I did lose a little low end torque, but the mid-high RPM gains are crazy. You'll be just fine with the 1 7/8 until you go FI. With the 3.73s you won't miss the little bit of low end torque loss. It actually makes the car a little easier to launch.

tourer 4/3/17 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 7011918)
If you're going FI, do the 1 7/8. I'm N/A and probably always will be, and I'm running Stainless Power 1 7/8. I did lose a little low end torque, but the mid-high RPM gains are crazy. You'll be just fine with the 1 7/8 until you go FI. With the 3.73s you won't miss the little bit of low end torque loss. It actually makes the car a little easier to launch.

I have 3.15 gears, Auto Trans.

tourer 4/3/17 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by tourer (Post 7011920)

Do you have an X-Pipe or H-Pipe?

tourer 4/3/17 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 7011918)

Do you have the X-Pipe or the H-Pipe?

1 Alibi 2 4/3/17 09:34 AM

2011 - 1 3/4" Kooks, " green " catted X pipe, stock mufflers.
2014 - 1 7/8" Kooks, " green " catted X pipe, stock mufflers.
N.J. is an inspection state, their " green " cats are 49 state legal.

laserred38 4/3/17 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by tourer

Ah I thought you had a Boss 302. Better yet then. You won't notice the loss of torque then.

I'm running Solo Performance catback and high flow cats (welded to the collectors with a flange on the back so they mate up to the catback). The Solo exhaust is unique in that it has one central muffler with an x-pipe housed inside of the muffler. Dual in, dual out.

tourer 4/3/17 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2 (Post 7011923)
2011 - 1 3/4" Kooks, " green " catted X pipe, stock mufflers.
2014 - 1 7/8" Kooks, " green " catted X pipe, stock mufflers.
N.J. is an inspection state, their " green " cats are 49 state legal.

Yeah, I will be getting the GREEN Catted mid-pipe, I just haven't decided on an X or H pipe yet. I have a BBK X-Pipe on now with the stock exhaust manifolds and Roush Axle Backs, Sounds good but a little Raspy.
I hear (No pun intended) the H-Pipe is more of a throaty, muscle car sound but the X-Pipe give more HP on the mid and top end. Decisions, decisions.:banghead:

1 Alibi 2 4/4/17 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by tourer (Post 7011928)
Yeah, I will be getting the GREEN Catted mid-pipe, I just haven't decided on an X or H pipe yet. I have a BBK X-Pipe on now with the stock exhaust manifolds and Roush Axle Backs, Sounds good but a little Raspy.
I hear (No pun intended) the H-Pipe is more of a throaty, muscle car sound but the X-Pipe give more HP on the mid and top end. Decisions, decisions.:banghead:

Most people prefer the sound of an H pipe, I could care less.
The hp advantage the X has over the H may be 1-2 hp..

FromZto5 4/5/17 08:19 AM

Tourer - glad you are leaning towards headers now. Hopefully our PM exchanges have helped you out.

As I stated before, I have 1-3/4" with green catted H. I am also blown. The gains and sound are impressive. Did you call Kooks to get their advice? I recommend you do that. Tell them your current mods and your future mods, and they can advise you as far as what to get.

CubAndy 4/5/17 08:43 AM

Kooks 1-5/8"

I plan on keeping my '14 Coyote 100% naturally aspirated. I went with the Kooks 1-5/8", which hardly no one runs. I have an off-road H-pipe w/Roush Axle backs. The car dyno'd at 420 RWHP and 405 Torque. It's sounds like a BEAST. I don't think you should go any higher than 1-3/4". These cars need the back pressure for low end torque. It's just not necessary to go any thicker...IMHO.

laserred38 4/5/17 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by CubAndy
I plan on keeping my '14 Coyote 100% naturally aspirated. I went with the Kooks 1-5/8", which hardly no one runs. I have an off-road H-pipe w/Roush Axle backs. The car dyno'd at 420 RWHP and 405 Torque. It's sounds like a BEAST. I don't think you should go any higher than 1-3/4". These cars need the back pressure for low end torque. It's just not necessary to go any thicker...IMHO.

I should get mine dyno'd again. Before the headers, my car made 401/390 on AED's dyno. That was with their tune and the Solo catback and high flow cats. I wonder where I'm at because I have no problem lighting them up from a dig and it pulls like a raped ape above 4k :dunno:

tourer 4/5/17 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 7012089)
Tourer - glad you are leaning towards headers now. Hopefully our PM exchanges have helped you out.

As I stated before, I have 1-3/4" with green catted H. I am also blown. The gains and sound are impressive. Did you call Kooks to get their advice? I recommend you do that. Tell them your current mods and your future mods, and they can advise you as far as what to get.

Dude, You've been a major help to me as has other on this site. Yes, I did call Kooks, Nice people, They recommended a 1-3/4" LTH as well, I'm going that way with the Green catted H-Pipe.
Thanks again.

tourer 4/5/17 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by CubAndy (Post 7012092)

Yeah, I decided to go with the Kook's 1-3/4" LTH with their Green Catted H-Pipe. Can't wait to hear what she'll sound like.

tourer 4/5/17 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by laserred38 (Post 7012093)
I should get mine dyno'd again. Before the headers, my car made 401/390 on AED's dyno. That was with their tune and the Solo catback and high flow cats. I wonder where I'm at because I have no problem lighting them up from a dig and it pulls like a raped ape above 4k :dunno:

I have to find a place with a Dyno myself, I would love to see what my Mustang would lay down for numbers.

FromZto5 4/5/17 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by tourer (Post 7012095)
Dude, You've been a major help to me as has other on this site. Yes, I did call Kooks, Nice people, They recommended a 1-3/4" LTH as well, I'm going that way with the Green catted H-Pipe.
Thanks again.

No problem. You won't be disappointed. Quality has been great.

Who's doing the install? Unless you have a lift, and have a LOT of tools and patience, I'd recommend having it professionally installed. I did ALL the mods on my car, except for those headers. No way Jose. FYI, it took my installer around 12 hours to completely do it.

tourer 4/6/17 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5 (Post 7012104)
No problem. You won't be disappointed. Quality has been great.

Who's doing the install? Unless you have a lift, and have a LOT of tools and patience, I'd recommend having it professionally installed. I did ALL the mods on my car, except for those headers. No way Jose. FYI, it took my installer around 12 hours to completely do it.

I've got a shop all lined up, they install headers on many cars and they quoted me a price for labor of $700 to no more than $800.00 for the install.:metal:

FromZto5 4/6/17 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by tourer (Post 7012095)
Thanks again.

Originally Posted by tourer (Post 7012194)
I've got a shop all lined up, they install headers on many cars and they quoted me a price for labor of $700 to no more than $800.00 for the install.:metal:

Yep... that's about the same as I paid. That's a good price. Mine took longer, but he's a small shop. So yeah, jump on that shop of yours for that price! So worth it.

I assume you have videos of before and after? I love exhaust videos :D