Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

What Intake/Tune????

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/12, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am installing my Airaid CAI and loading my bama tune Friday. Any tips?
Old 12/5/12, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 25bduse
I am installing my Airaid CAI and loading my bama tune Friday. Any tips?
Get a full tank of gas because you will be getting horrible milage for a few weeks, its alot of fun you can't help but not get on it every chance you can
Old 12/5/12, 03:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by slostang
Get a full tank of gas because you will be getting horrible milage for a few weeks, its alot of fun you can't help but not get on it every chance you can
I bet...Thanks
Old 12/7/12, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think it's funny the amount of people that make blanket statments like "don't waste your money" or "they don't work"

But every fast N/A 5.0 runs one.

Adding an intake over and above a tune and your looking at 10-15 RWHP. Don't believe it? Test it on the dyno, it happens.
So what's 10-15 RWHP equate to at the track? .10 +/-
1) this is super hard to test and be consistant even though people have and proved it worked: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ts-inside.html
2) The tune has so much to do with getting power to the ground. If you don't run faster at all and your 60' times are the same, your tune is not right, period. It's pulling timing or closing throttle due to load differences
3) if you only gain .06-.10 is it worth $299? Yes, if the guy your racing beats you by that amount.

These are all BOLT ON N/A guys

First N/A 5.0 in the 9's (JPC) (stock 5.0 top to bottom)
First Boss in the 10's (Lethal) (stock 5.0 top to bottom w/nos)
Matt Desilva - 10.62 with a stick car (stock 5.0 top to bottom)
BMR- 2011 NMRA winner, 2012 runner up (stock 5.0 top to bottom)

2011 5.0 shootout winners using a JLT CAIN/A unlimited winner (Revolution auto) second (Evo) and third (Joe Marini)
N/A street winner (JJ Jones) and third (Pete Espeut)
Fastest stock tire winner (Dave London)

2012 5.0 shootout winners using JLT CAI (names omitted due to up coming article)
Naturally Aspirated street
Power adder street
Unlimited class Naturally Aspirated
Coyote swap class Naturally Aspirated

This is not just one or two examples, but it is a small fraction of fast cars using our intake.

So, when someone says Intakes don't work, you have to ask yourself why do all these racers use them? Racers want to WIN, period. So they use everything they can to have an edge over the compitition. If they didn't work, they wouldn't use them.

NMRA Coyote stock opened up to use aftermarket intakes and guess what? All the racers jumped on it.

The internet is good for info, but the more research you do the better you will understand.

And the debate rolls on........
Old 12/7/12, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd never have guessed you are in sales.
Old 12/7/12, 06:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tucker
I think it's funny the amount of people that make blanket statments like "don't waste your money" or "they don't work"

But every fast N/A 5.0 runs one.

Adding an intake over and above a tune and your looking at 10-15 RWHP. Don't believe it? Test it on the dyno, it happens.
So what's 10-15 RWHP equate to at the track? .10 +/-
1) this is super hard to test and be consistant even though people have and proved it worked: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ts-inside.html
2) The tune has so much to do with getting power to the ground. If you don't run faster at all and your 60' times are the same, your tune is not right, period. It's pulling timing or closing throttle due to load differences
3) if you only gain .06-.10 is it worth $299? Yes, if the guy your racing beats you by that amount.

These are all BOLT ON N/A guys

First N/A 5.0 in the 9's (JPC) (stock 5.0 top to bottom)
First Boss in the 10's (Lethal) (stock 5.0 top to bottom w/nos)
Matt Desilva - 10.62 with a stick car (stock 5.0 top to bottom)
BMR- 2011 NMRA winner, 2012 runner up (stock 5.0 top to bottom)

2011 5.0 shootout winners using a JLT CAIN/A unlimited winner (Revolution auto) second (Evo) and third (Joe Marini)
N/A street winner (JJ Jones) and third (Pete Espeut)
Fastest stock tire winner (Dave London)

2012 5.0 shootout winners using JLT CAI (names omitted due to up coming article)
Naturally Aspirated street
Power adder street
Unlimited class Naturally Aspirated
Coyote swap class Naturally Aspirated

This is not just one or two examples, but it is a small fraction of fast cars using our intake.

So, when someone says Intakes don't work, you have to ask yourself why do all these racers use them? Racers want to WIN, period. So they use everything they can to have an edge over the compitition. If they didn't work, they wouldn't use them.

NMRA Coyote stock opened up to use aftermarket intakes and guess what? All the racers jumped on it.

The internet is good for info, but the more research you do the better you will understand.

And the debate rolls on........
Well put. And proves an excellent point.
Old 12/10/12, 07:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by frank s
I'd never have guessed you are in sales.
Frank, sales have nothing to do with it.

People need facts and the fact is they work. Saying they don't is just spreading false information and wrong.
Old 12/12/12, 07:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If those results are consistent, I'd change my tune (no pun intended) and agree that the CAI might infact be worth the money.

The data that I have seen for the past two years tells me that we shouldn't see this kind of improvement on the track but sometimes the data doesn't tell you the whole story!

Has anyone else run back to back with and without the CAI?
Old 12/12/12, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

How much more consistant does it need to be? All 5.0 shootout WINNERS in 3 years of the event used a CAI to win.
All the fastest 5.0's in the country use them, but we still think they don't work?

What "data" are you seeing? Internet people saying it doesn't work?

What kind of improvement are you looking for?
Heck, going to the track and testing a 10-15 RWHP part has way too many variables to do a consistant test.
It's all about adding up all parts and having a measurable gain in the end. Expecting a 10-15 hP part to make you faster in the 1/4 is expecting more than warrented.

Most stock and tuned 5.0s run 12's, some killer drivers run hihg 11's, but that's with suspension and weight reduction.
Intake and tune cars consistantly run in the 11's, heck I just gave 12 examples of intakes working on race cars, LOL

It's cool, I'm not here to change your mind, just educate and show facts.
Old 12/12/12, 07:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

How much more consistant does it need to be? All 5.0 shootout WINNERS in 3 years of the event used a CAI to win.
All the fastest 5.0's in the country use them, but we still think they don't work?

What "data" are you seeing? Internet people saying it doesn't work?

What kind of improvement are you looking for?
Heck, going to the track and testing a 10-15 RWHP part has way too many variables to do a consistant test.
It's all about adding up all parts and having a measurable gain in the end. Expecting a 10-15 hP part to make you faster in the 1/4 is expecting more than warrented.

Most stock and tuned 5.0s run 12's, some killer drivers run hihg 11's, but that's with suspension and weight reduction.
Intake and tune cars consistantly run in the 11's, heck I just gave 12 examples of intakes working on race cars, LOL

It's cool, I'm not here to change your mind, just educate and show facts.
So far, this argument is 100% specious. Aside from Mike's (I think that's his name) back to back runs, we dont have much to go on. The fact that "everyone is running them" tells us nothing.

These cars are also painted...so we can say with equal certainty that a winning car must have paint on it.
Old 12/12/12, 07:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The fact is that a CAI is just a popular mod. People who want to go faster will typically install one because traditionally, this has been step #1...and because it's a simple install.

This list is commonly referenced and it's pretty complete. Many (most?) Mustangs have a CAI....some are running 12s, some are faster...and there are some in the 11s without one.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ack-times.html
Old 12/13/12, 04:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Weird thing is when i ran the Airaid with tune on my '11 i always ran a better trap speed with the insert than without it.
Old 12/13/12, 05:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
The fact is that a CAI is just a popular mod. People who want to go faster will typically install one because traditionally, this has been step #1...and because it's a simple install.

This list is commonly referenced and it's pretty complete. Many (most?) Mustangs have a CAI....some are running 12s, some are faster...and there are some in the 11s without one.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ack-times.html
Kind of proving my point with the list.
The faster cars are doing everything they can to be faster and that includes a CAI.
Were not talking about a $600 part that gains 5HP, it's $299 and gains 10-15 everytime.
Like I said, I'm not trying to change your mind, just give facts. How you use or believe them is up to you.
This is a 2013 stock vs custom tune vs JLT and custom tune. This is typical of the gains you would see doing these mods on the dyno.

Originally Posted by RedCandy5.0
Weird thing is when i ran the Airaid with tune on my '11 i always ran a better trap speed with the insert than without it.
Then the tune you had didn't work well with the Airaid CAI. That intake makes more power with the insert out, a fact. So if your MPH was down with it, the tune was closing throttle, pulling timing, changing load tables or any number of things that can cause the car to slow down.

Intakes don't control how a car runs and the don't make power on the dyno and not on the street.
That plastic box you plug in your computer that controls thousands of functions does.
Old 12/13/12, 04:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like I said, I'm not trying to change your mind, just give facts. How you use or believe them is up to you.
This is a 2013 stock vs custom tune vs JLT and custom tune. This is typical of the gains you would see doing these mods on the dyno.
[...]
I have been told (and this is a fact) a good dyno operator can make a graph showing anything he wants to claim for a set of dyno runs. Even if he's not consciously trying to do it, he might be producing "facts" that match the expectations of whoever is paying for his services. That, in addition to the difficulty in reproducing exact conditions for each pull in a series, and the fact that the experimental design might be faulty, let alone the execution, mean the "consumer" has to take every claim with a large measure of salt.

I have yet to see any well-designed or -controlled comparison of the effects of any CAI, tune or CAI/tune combo that rises above the level of testimony; most wallow in the swamp of opinion masquerading as fact. Such aspects as order of introduction of controlled variables tested are just plain ignored. "Your results may vary" is too, too true.

The most dangerous of all falsehoods is
a slightly distorted truth.
-Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, scientist and philosopher (1742-1799)

PS: In case no one has been able to find it, look at about 4:40 et seq.

Last edited by frank s; 12/13/12 at 04:23 PM. Reason: P.S.:
Old 12/14/12, 05:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry, I take great offence to your comments.
Calling me a lier is crossing the line. We take great pride in our testing and being truthful.

Don't believe me? Prove me wrong, but don't call me a lier!

There are dyno shops all over the country and these tests are easily done. We would be a fool to make up numbers.

Wow, that was uncalled for!
Old 12/14/12, 06:11 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by frank s
I have been told (and this is a fact) a good dyno operator can make a graph showing anything he wants to claim for a set of dyno runs. Even if he's not consciously trying to do it, he might be producing "facts" that match the expectations of whoever is paying for his services. That, in addition to the difficulty in reproducing exact conditions for each pull in a series, and the fact that the experimental design might be faulty, let alone the execution, mean the "consumer" has to take every claim with a large measure of salt.

I have yet to see any well-designed or -controlled comparison of the effects of any CAI, tune or CAI/tune combo that rises above the level of testimony; most wallow in the swamp of opinion masquerading as fact. Such aspects as order of introduction of controlled variables tested are just plain ignored. "Your results may vary" is too, too true.

The most dangerous of all falsehoods is
a slightly distorted truth.
-Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, scientist and philosopher (1742-1799)

PS: In case no one has been able to find it, look at about 4:40 et seq.

LOL, Jay, it looks like we have a conspiracy theorist here.

You blantatly just called someone a lier man, JLT didn't become one of the top CAI companies in the Mustang community by lieing....
Old 12/14/12, 08:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Kind of proving my point with the list.
The faster cars are doing everything they can to be faster and that includes a CAI.
Were not talking about a $600 part that gains 5HP, it's $299 and gains 10-15 everytime.
Major League pitchers (who will do everything to win) wear these crazy rope necklaces with some kind of voodoo "power beads" on them, so clearly these things are helping them to win, right? Prove me wrong!

Correlation does not equal causation.

I'm open to the idea that the CAI might be worth the money... I'd like some more indepenent evidence before my mind is changed though.

As far as I can tell, Frank S was NOT calling anyone a liar. His point is valid- that dynos are not infallible and when a chart is presented by someone with a financial interest in a certain outcome, we should be skeptical.

...also Tucker and Jay, as a vendor you guys might want to watch your tone while representing your companies. You're shooting yourselves in the foot!
Attached Thumbnails What Intake/Tune????-0313-josh-beckett-2-primary_20100314010211_335_220.jpg  

Last edited by MRGTX; 12/14/12 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12/14/12, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Comparing Hope and belief to dyno and track numbers is kind of a joke.

I've been proving myself for 9 years without issue, it's the way we do it.
Old 12/14/12, 08:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

CAI do make power on the dyno. My stock '11 auto was 354. Added tune 369. Added Airaid minus insert 381. There are many guys who can vouch that the CAI makes power on the dyno. That is no argument but how much does it transfer to the track? I did not find much of a gain. Did back to back runs with tune only 12.53 @ 113 1.95 '60. Put on Airaid did 12.51 @ 113 1.95 '60. Worth the money?
Old 12/14/12, 08:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Comparing Hope and belief to dyno and track numbers is kind of a joke.

I've been proving myself for 9 years without issue, it's the way we do it.
You're not listening.

The example was just to illustrate Causation ≠ Correlation.

Quick Reply: What Intake/Tune????