Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Warning - terrible experience with Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/12, 01:20 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifterboy45
I hope what I said was taken wrong...

I'm all in favor of the aftermarket, and non-OEM parts - after years of buying parts and dealing with speed shops and parts departments I can get a little testy. I'm the kinda guy that wants to go and see the part and talk with the guy behind the counter. nowadays its cost effective for most places to have a web store front, but at the end of the day it still arrives in human hands.

seems like most businesses are looking to make the "quick nickel, and pass up the hard dime".

sorry for your troubles, hope you can work it out
-----------
Not taken wrong, I'm just fired up. For all the reasons I chose Tire Rack, they failed me.
Old 5/11/12, 01:20 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
but you did not check on the eibach site?
Old 5/11/12, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by eric n
I differ from a lot of you. If I purchase parts from a supplier the size of tire rack, I expect an extremely high level of professionalism. While I recognize that op did in fact check parts numbers, I feel that is going above and beyond. I would expect a company as large as tire rack to be at the very least competent. Apparently that would be an erroneous expectation and ultimately I too would have been screwed, but when I go to a professional and established company I expect and depend on a reasonable level of expertise and precision. If they fall short, it's on them. I would hate to have them screw up and then respond, "Why didn't you check. We after all are morons."

Of course we are all entitled to our opinions.

I would hope that tire rack would make this good which would mean replacing the parts with correct parts and pay for the second installation.
---------------------

We'll see what I do tomorrow. I may tell Tire Rack to shove it, return their kit, go with FRPP kit (more $) and make Tire Rack pay for all of the labor thus far. Or...Tire Rack may ship correct parts and I continue with the Eibach install next week. Hard to trust them that they send the correct items now, huh? Total idiots, it's not that hard, it really isn't.
Old 5/11/12, 01:38 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
I still can't get past the customer service guy named Zig. That alone is enough to make me not do business with them.
Old 5/11/12, 01:39 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

guess im missing something about that. zig??
Old 5/11/12, 08:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I still can't get past the customer service guy named Zig. That alone is enough to make me not do business with them.
Everyone in sales at tire rack has a name they use that isn't their own. The names are usually notable so they aren't easily forgotten. If they had 10 johns working in sales it'd be tough to get the same person if you didn't know their last name.
Old 5/11/12, 08:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eric n
I differ from a lot of you. If I purchase parts from a supplier the size of tire rack, I expect an extremely high level of professionalism.
Really?

Then you and I are very different as well. I EXPECT a company the size of Tire Rack to **** it up. That's just the nature of the beast.

They are not an enthusiast company. They may claim to be and their digital marketing dept may make a few phone reps who know a thing or two about cars create a corporate hosted blog but other than that they are not a place I go to for advice.

They're a place that ingests part numbers and spits out the lowest price their economies of scale can produce (and it's usually lower than the little-er guys - sorry but its true). It all depends on what you're buying.

There's a clear value in the market for both the enthusiast shop that has to feed its employees and the big mighty faceless supplier. I, for one, like making sure ALL costs are visible so I take it on myself to research and learn before the CC is charged.

Were the part numbers wrong on the shocks/struts themselves? Then that's Eibach's fault. When my Koni's came in I MADE SURE the part number on the actual parts themselves matched what I needed - the box isn't always right.

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 5/11/12 at 08:11 AM.
Old 5/11/12, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I guess I still don't know why a 2009 mustang kit won't work with 2009 strut mounts? Until recently all of the spring/shock/strut kits used the older style mount.
Old 5/11/12, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by going for broke
I guess I still don't know why a 2009 mustang kit won't work with 2009 strut mounts? Until recently all of the spring/shock/strut kits used the older style mount.
this is what I am trying to figure out, All the springs are the same, The only difference I believe is the top mounts on the front struts? Eibach re designed the dampers in the front to use in 11+ cars so there wouldn't need to be any additional parts to buy! So why the big fuss? people with 11's use 05-10 dampers all the time and the only thing that is needed to make these work is the top mount! so unless your dealer did something wrong on install you should be able tho drive with no problem!

I agree that Tire Rack should have sent you the right parts but They will and Should work with no Problems.
Old 5/11/12, 10:03 AM

JP - You make some very good points, thanks. I made the mistake in thinking Tire Rack's size, advertising, and reputation would be in my favor, boy was I wrong. Eibach was not at fault, all parts with correct numbers - from Eibach. Tire Rack's fault 100%, read my previous posts/replies to see that Tire Rack's computer system has this part number listed for a 2011, which they NOW know is wrong, it's for a 2009.
---
goingforbroke & stang8psi - read all of my posts/replies. The kit for the 2009 is VERY different than for a 2011 - they greatly improved all pieces for the 2011. The springs and dampers have completely different rates, the sways bars are different thickness, with stronger mounts, and, as mentioned, different tops to the front struts. I checked DIRECTLY WITH EIBACH to see if I can get away with keeping the 2009 pieces and just adding GT500 or FRPP front strut mounts, they were insistent - to get ALL of those incorrect 2009 pieces off of my car, and get the correct 2011 pieces on. Plus, the car is too low with the 2009 pieces, it's obvious once you see the car.

Last edited by PJRManagement; 5/11/12 at 12:06 PM.
Old 5/11/12, 11:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I cannot believe you guys who are blaming PJRManagement here. He got something other than what he ordered. Yes, typically we all should check part numbers...bad on him for not...but he wasn't crazy for thinking that they were correct and Tire Rack should not rely on the customer to check their work. That's BUSH LEAGUE.

This is 100% their screw up and they should make PJRManagement whole including paying for the removal/install of the stock components and the install of the new parts.

What if these parts caused a safety problem and PJRManagement crashed the car and was hurt...or worse??

If they do the right thing, they'll reap the benefits of doing business in good faith.
This is the difference between good suppliers and bad suppliers.

I have had good luck with Tire Rack in the past but they'd better make this right. We're all watching.
Old 5/11/12, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I cannot believe you guys who are blaming PJRManagement here. He got something other than what he ordered. Yes, typically we all should check part numbers...bad on him for not...but he wasn't crazy for thinking that they were correct and Tire Rack should not rely on the customer to check their work. That's BUSH LEAGUE.

This is 100% their screw up and they should make PJRManagement whole including paying for the removal/install of the stock components and the install of the new parts.

What if these parts caused a safety problem and PJRManagement crashed the car and was hurt...or worse??

If they do the right thing, they'll reap the benefits of doing business in good faith.
This is the difference between good suppliers and bad suppliers.

I have had good luck with Tire Rack in the past but they'd better make this right. We're all watching.
------------
Thanks, Mike. One correction - I did check the part #s, several times, they were all correct for my order. Read my previous posts/replies. And..I'm still fighting with Tire Rack, they truly suck on this.
Old 5/11/12, 12:13 PM

Just to be clear for those of you that are following this thread (thanks, by the way), I CHECKED EVERY PART #, THE BOX #S, THE INVOICES, THE PACKING SLIPS - and all part #s matched. Tire Rack's inventory system was the mistake here. It has these parts listed for a 2011 Mustang GT (my car)...which is wrong, they are really for a 2009. And, also to clear up any of you doubters out there...I ALWAYS CHECK AND RE-CHECK EVERY SINGLE PART FOR MY CAR THAT I PURCHASE BEFORE I EVEN OPEN THE BOX. Then I re-check again, then I install. ALWAYS. I took the liberty of thinking that we all do that, so I did not mention it in my very first post. Shame on me.
Old 5/11/12, 12:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well as much as this sucks, and I agree, TR should have had the correct info, Shoulda checked with Eibach.

I always check with the actual part manufacturer, not just the supplier.

Hope you get it all worked out.

Last edited by LEwis26; 5/11/12 at 12:37 PM.
Old 5/11/12, 02:04 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Well as much as this sucks, and I agree, TR should have had the correct info, Shoulda checked with Eibach.

I always check with the actual part manufacturer, not just the supplier.

Hope you get it all worked out.
never trust 3rd parties.

I do not want to blame just remind that its always a good call to check with the company that makes the stuff. Since I do alot fo ebay business I am always always doing this. If you would of checked the eibach site it would saved you from tire racks HUGE mistake. I am not saying its something you did. Its like riding a motorcycle.. always think everyone is trying to kill you and you will be safer. When buying things always think everyone is wrong.

I hope this get cleared up quickly.
Old 5/11/12, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

All I can say is, Sorry PJR. I can imagine how much this situation sucks and now you have to go through the painful process of trying to get the big faceless supplier to compensate all the troubles. I do not envy your predicament.

Just keep thinking how awesome the car will be once you get everything squared away and the right parts are on your car. :thumbsup:
Old 5/11/12, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I think if you were to get the GT500 strut mounts it would solve your strut fitment issues and get you on the road with the parts you already have.
This - the 05+ up parts will work with the mounts.

And next time use a custom shop like Lethal, Evolution, Brenspeed, Steeda, Strano, JPC, MMR, Livernoise, American Muscle, etc...people who know mustangs, even Jegs and Summit have a mustang person sitting there. Tire Rack is not a parts dealer, they are a chop shop with no service, it's like ordering parts from an office supply store.

That being said - The supplier is responsible for supplying the correct parts, but the buyer should always check the packing slip and compare to the parts list!

Last edited by wproctor411; 5/11/12 at 03:07 PM. Reason: aggg
Old 5/11/12, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I think if you were to get the GT500 strut mounts it would solve your strut fitment issues and get you on the road with the parts you already have.
----------------
Originally Posted by wproctor411
This - the 05+ up parts will work with the mounts.

And next time use a custom shop like Lethal, Evolution, Brenspeed, Steeda, Strano, JPC, MMR, Livernoise, American Muscle, etc...people who know mustangs, even Jegs and Summit have a mustang person sitting there. Tire Rack is not a parts dealer, they are a chop shop with no service, it's like ordering parts from an office supply store.

That being said - The supplier is responsible for supplying the correct parts, but the buyer should always check the packing slip and compare to the parts list!
----------------
Correct about using a better speed-shop supplier, lesson learned. I found the best price, but now I know (the hard way) that is not always 'best'.
Incorrect about the strut mounts - see my previous posts/replies. I checked with Eibach, I asked if I can simply use GT500 or FRPP front strut mounts, they said absolutely NO. These incorrect pieces (springs/dampers/sways) are for a 2009, and the correct pieces for my 2011 are completely different - springs & dampers have totally different rates, new Eibach replacement bushings, sways are thicker with stronger mounts. Eibach was firm...remove ALL incorrect 2009 pieces, and install the correct 2011 kit (this also explains why the car was too low). I'm in the process of getting this all done now, hopefully I'll have good news to report in a couple of days.
Old 5/11/12, 06:54 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

also most places will price match or give a better price if you call them and speak with them.
Old 5/11/12, 07:17 PM
BOSS Member

I get it that you double checked all the part numbers that Tire Rack gave you, but you had bad info from the start, correct?

Did you, or did you not check for the correct numbers directly from Eibach BEFORE you even ordered the kit?

Quick Reply: Warning - terrible experience with Tire Rack