Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Warning - terrible experience with Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/12, 06:17 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Angry Warning - terrible experience with Tire Rack

Hi there. I normally post good experiences with suppliers. But this one bad time, I cannot keep quiet. I ordered an Eibach Pro-Plus kit (springs, dampers, sway bars) from Tire Rack, for my 2011 GT. The shipment came one week late, ok, I can handle that, because they called me to tell me about the delay. I take all parts to my Ford dealer for a special install. Install is fully completed in one full day, but we have a problem - the top of the front struts are poking up way too high past the top strut-mounts, and the car looks just a little too low, not drivable. I call Tire Rack to explain, they don't know what it is. I called Eibach directly, and after five minutes, they determine that Tire Rack actually shipped me the entire kit for a 2009 - by the part numbers. I call back Tire Rack to explain, I speak to some jerk named 'Zig' (if you can believe that), and he said he will check and get back to me. Well, THREE hours later he calls to tell me the same thing that Eibach told me in five minutes. He continues to tell me that the actual parts for my car won't be available for one month, and he can't do anything. I explain that my car has ALL incorrect suspension parts in it, it's sitting at Ford, and I can't drive it. Finally, I get to speak with a supervisor who goes round-and-round and thinks she can get the parts sent to me piece-meal (instead of a 'kit'). Great, right? No, it takes a week for delivery - BUT I DON'T HAVE A CAR TO DRIVE! Also, when I explain that Ford will charge me twice to perform the same install, she says she'll have to see what she can do. I will certainly be canceling this charge on my credit card, and they will never see my business again. So, warning to all who may choose Tire Rack for suspension pieces, their part numbers may be all screwed up. Just thought I would share.
Old 5/10/12, 06:23 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that sucks. why didnt you check the part number when you got it? why didnt you install the kit? why did the dealer not notice it was wrong? what parts are wrong?

blame falls on tire rack and you and the dealer that did the install
Old 5/10/12, 06:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed.... you really should have checked.... and the dealer should have know.
Old 5/10/12, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cpotts13
Agreed.... you really should have checked.... and the dealer should have know.
I doubt the dealer would check. The guy doing the install should have realized something wasn't right before putting it together.

When it comes to internet ordered parts I always check I am getting the right thing part number wise. It is all too common to have applications screwed up. Sometimes it is that way from a manufacturer. The one time I checked and rechecked, and got the wrong thing was because the manufacturer's application list was screwed up. The customer service person at the manufacturer was very rude and refused to even notice that they had the same part number listed for a Maverick and a Contour, insisting I had the correct part. Thankfully the place I ordered it from refunded my money.

When the part arrives I check the numbers again.
Old 5/10/12, 07:33 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think if you were to get the GT500 strut mounts it would solve your strut fitment issues and get you on the road with the parts you already have.
Old 5/10/12, 07:58 PM
Cobra R Member

While it's unfortunate you got the short end, the way I read it- it isn't in whole tire rack's fault...

I've bought tires and rims there and have been extremely satisfied. There are 20 different mustang affiliated websites that sell suspension parts, I'm sure one of them would have been more knowledgeable and a better source to order from rather than a mass parts store for every make and model car.

Plus me being me, I would have totally checked the part numbers to be sure it's ok and matches... Granted you should get what's advertised to you, but never the less... due diligence.

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 5/10/12 at 08:00 PM.
Old 5/10/12, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just want to know why you would order suspension parts from a place called tire rack?
Old 5/10/12, 08:35 PM
GT Member

Tire rack should stick with what they know(Tires!)
Old 5/10/12, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Should have let Ford or some reputable garage supply and install the parts. Then if
There is a problem they will take care of it. Hey if i bring my own meat to Mcdonalds you think they will cook it.
Old 5/10/12, 08:55 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by yugoboss
Should have let Ford or some reputable garage supply and install the parts. Then if
There is a problem they will take care of it. Hey if i bring my own meat to Mcdonalds you think they will cook it.
they have places that you bring you own meat or seafood and they cook it for you.
Old 5/10/12, 09:11 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
they have places that you bring you own meat or seafood and they cook it for you.
Yep, I have one of those in my house. I call it "The Kitchen".

Old 5/10/12, 09:15 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Yep, I have one of those in my house. I call it "The Kitchen".
thought you were going to say "the wife"
Old 5/10/12, 09:51 PM

Adrian - you could not be more WRONG. Part numbers all checked, by me when I received the shipment, and confirmed by the dealer - who are excellent, by the way. Tire Rack used the WRONG part numbers for this kit in their system. I actually caught their error, just a little too late.
---
Codee - see above.
---
97GT12 - see above also. And, all of the parts are so similar, that they all fit - just not perfectly, so the dealer is not too blame, the car was on the lift the entire time. Only when the car hit the floor did the problem become obvious.
---
Ltngdrvr - nope, just using GT500 or FRPP strut mounts will not solve this problem, already been down that road. All of the spring and damper rates are wrong, and the sways are smaller. The entire kit is slightly off.
---
Tony - see above, and Tire Rack is 100% responsible. Both the dealer and I triple-checked EVERY PART NUMBER before install. I chose Tire Rack because I've purchased four sets of tires from them for four different vehicles, and all was good. They have been advertising their Eibach suspension kits a lot (car mags, internet), so I went with them.
---
Joseph - see above.
---
Yugoboss - IMO yours is the best and most informative post, thanks, lesson learned.
Old 5/10/12, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Sometimes bad things happen

I figure that this fiasco is a 90/10 split.

I've worked in the auto industry -- as a technician, service advisor and manager and its no picnic, but one thing I stand by is that customers come to me for expert advice, and repairs. Normally you would think I'd side with the part supplier or repair facility -- I don't; especially when they are clearly at fault.

Tire Rack is great for tires, I have used them in the past and will use them again for tires ONLY! Every business wants to expand into new markets and if they do, they need to exercise due diligence when servicing customers. That means stocking correct parts and having a knowledgeable staff to accommodate customer that are less than savvy. I was concerned when they expanded their operations to supply suspension components at a good price due to large volume purchasing.

The OP had to wait an additional week for parts (though incorrect) to arrive, he recontacted the supplier to confirm (no one noted that the wrong parts were being shipped) -- if someone caught it there, we probably would be discussing the issue at hand.

Yes he did make the boo-boo of not checking the part #'s and content of the kit. After you make this type of mistake, you will never make it again -- I know... and I am guilty of the same thing long ago.

When a customer comes in with parts I write clearly on the repair order "customer request install XXYZ components, customer has supplied parts". At this point I feel the customer has the proper parts for his car. If the parts are non-factory parts with PN#s that I don't recognize, I'm surely not going to spend another 15-20min. to verify -- not unless the customer asks me to do so -- if he does, I will.

Unless the parts look grossly incorrect the tech is going to hustle to install the parts and clear his rack to make more money... most techs work on flat rate hours flagged and getting the job done as quickly as possible is their goal. This is the problem with the aftermarket -- the enthusiast is REQUIRED to do more research and thereby save $$$ vs. OEM parts.

I don't have any sympathy for Tire Rack, they need to help this guy out for business sake -- its called Cost Of Doing Business!!

My current job is focused around relationship building with customers that spend up to $120,000 on their cars --

making things right for the customer will loose you some money -- but in the end it will buy you goodwill and that is priceless.

my $.02

Last edited by Shifterboy45; 5/11/12 at 12:56 AM.
Old 5/10/12, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shifterboy45
I figure that this fiasco is a 90/10 split.

I've worked in the auto industry -- as a technician, service advisor and manager and its no picnic, but one thing I stand by is that customers come to me for expert advice, and repairs. Normally you would think I'd side with the part supplier or repair facility -- I don't; especially when they are clearly at fault.

Tire Rack is great for tires, I have used them in the past and will use them again for tires ONLY! Every business wants to expand into new markets and if they do, they need to exercise due diligence when servicing customers. That means stocking correct parts and having a knowledgeable staff to accommodate customer that are less than savvy. I was concerned when they expanded their operations to supply suspension components at a good price due to large volume purchasing.

The OP had to wait an additional week for parts (though incorrect) to arrive, he recontacted the supplier to confirm (no one noted that the wrong parts were being shipped) -- if someone caught it there, we probably would be discussing the issue at hand.

Yes he did make the boo-boo of not checking the part #'s and content of the kit. After you make this type of mistake, you will never make it again -- I know... and I am guilty of the same thing long ago.

When a customer comes in with parts I write clearly on the repair order "customer request install XXYZ components, customer has supplied parts". At this point I feel the customer has the proper parts for his car. If the parts are non-factory parts with PN#s that I don't recognize, I'm surely not going to spend another 15-20min. to verify -- not unless the customer asks me to do so -- if he does, I will.

Unless the parts look grossly incorrect the tech is going to hustle to install the parts and clear his rack to make more money... most techs work on flat rate hours flagged and getting the job done as quickly as possible is their goal. This is the problem with the aftermarket -- the enthusiast is REQUIRED to do more research and thereby save $$$ vs. OEM parts.

I don't have any sympathy for Tire Rack, they need to help this guy out for business sake -- its called Cost Of Doing Business!!

My current job is focused around relationship building with customers that spend up top $120,000 on their cars --

making things right for the customer will loose you some money -- but in he end it will buy you goodwill and that is priceless.

my $.02
----------
Good input, John. However, see my re-post above...all part numbers thoroughly check by me and dealer - before install. Tire Rack idiots used the wrong part numbers in their system to match to my specific year vehicle.
Old 5/10/12, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
----------
Good input, John. However, see my re-post above...all part numbers thoroughly check by me and dealer - before install. Tire Rack idiots used the wrong part numbers in their system to match to my specific year vehicle.
yeah, i just saw that.... wow!! go figure
Old 5/10/12, 10:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I hope what I said was taken wrong...

I'm all in favor of the aftermarket, and non-OEM parts - after years of buying parts and dealing with speed shops and parts departments I can get a little testy. I'm the kinda guy that wants to go and see the part and talk with the guy behind the counter. nowadays its cost effective for most places to have a web store front, but at the end of the day it still arrives in human hands.

seems like most businesses are looking to make the "quick nickel, and pass up the hard dime".

sorry for your troubles, hope you can work it out
Old 5/10/12, 11:01 PM
Cobra Member

I differ from a lot of you. If I purchase parts from a supplier the size of tire rack, I expect an extremely high level of professionalism. While I recognize that op did in fact check parts numbers, I feel that is going above and beyond. I would expect a company as large as tire rack to be at the very least competent. Apparently that would be an erroneous expectation and ultimately I too would have been screwed, but when I go to a professional and established company I expect and depend on a reasonable level of expertise and precision. If they fall short, it's on them. I would hate to have them screw up and then respond, "Why didn't you check. We after all are morons."

Of course we are all entitled to our opinions.

I would hope that tire rack would make this good which would mean replacing the parts with correct parts and pay for the second installation.
Old 5/10/12, 11:39 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Adrian - you could not be more WRONG. Part numbers all checked, by me when I received the shipment, and confirmed by the dealer - who are excellent, by the way. Tire Rack used the WRONG part numbers for this kit in their system. I actually caught their error, just a little too late.
didnt mean to accuse. just mainly asking questions. So they labeled the box or listed it wrong on the tirerack site? Did you look up the part number on the eibach site? I always go to the company that makes the products site. I never trust a 3rd party.
Old 5/11/12, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Flagstang
didnt mean to accuse. just mainly asking questions. So they labeled the box or listed it wrong on the tirerack site? Did you look up the part number on the eibach site? I always go to the company that makes the products site. I never trust a 3rd party.
-----
Part # on website matched 2011 GT. Part # on my order matched. Part # on box matched. Part # on install instructions matched. Part # on my invoice matched. But Tire Rack somehow has all of these #s matching for 2011...they are wrong, they now admit it, it's all for 2009.

Quick Reply: Warning - terrible experience with Tire Rack