Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

vortec supercharger questions

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/14, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile vortec supercharger questions

hi all.....
ok ive decided this is the route ill take,now if i could get a few questions answered that would be awesome.

after the new coolant reservoir is in place can my existing strut bar be re installed or will there be clearance issues?

i plan on doing the install myself....ive looked over the manual and it seems straight forward but like any project there is always a suprise....there are no mods needed to the heads or block facia for fitment is there?

the tune supplied with the kit does anyone know who created it....ford?.....roush?....etc.

also all i can find off the net is install manuals from the 2011 gt model year....im hoping the install process is the same...well it should be the same givin its the same powerplant under the hood...except the cutout portions needed to the inner facia.

thanks ahead of time for all of your input
Old 6/13/14, 02:18 PM
Bullitt Member

guess im on my own with my questions......WOW
Old 6/13/14, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I cant really help much since I have a TVS, but I know you will get tired of the prop rod during the install. I could have retained my rod, but I hated it so I switched to struts.
Old 6/13/14, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Searched google n found this,
Attached Images  
Old 6/13/14, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shayner
hi all.....
ok ive decided this is the route ill take,now if i could get a few questions answered that would be awesome.

after the new coolant reservoir is in place can my existing strut bar be re installed or will there be clearance issues?

i plan on doing the install myself....ive looked over the manual and it seems straight forward but like any project there is always a suprise....there are no mods needed to the heads or block facia for fitment is there?

the tune supplied with the kit does anyone know who created it....ford?.....roush?....etc.

also all i can find off the net is install manuals from the 2011 gt model year....im hoping the install process is the same...well it should be the same givin its the same powerplant under the hood...except the cutout portions needed to the inner facia.

thanks ahead of time for all of your input
I just installed the Paxton kit which is essentially the same except for the SC itself. I am having issues with clearance concerning the stock strut tower bar. It fits but I can't take off the overflow tank cap. I am thinking about putting spacers but I haven't gotten to it yet. The manual is essentially the same as you said and I didn't have to cut the front facia at all. Make sure you do all the fan mods though. Also you won't have to change the water pump pulley either. I got a tuner kit so I don't know about the tune that comes with the kit. Just call Vortech and ask who did the tuning is all I can come up with. It took my buddy and I 11 hours from start to driving.
Old 6/15/14, 04:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
I cant really help much since I have a TVS, but I know you will get tired of the prop rod during the install. I could have retained my rod, but I hated it so I switched to struts.
Thanks bud.. Good point....I'll be doing the install myself and am in no rush.
Full week end project with a box of beer.
Old 6/15/14, 04:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
Searched google n found this,
Yeah I've seen a few pics as well but the clearance issue is what I see a problem with...new reservoir.
Old 6/15/14, 04:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MustangD
I just installed the Paxton kit which is essentially the same except for the SC itself. I am having issues with clearance concerning the stock strut tower bar. It fits but I can't take off the overflow tank cap. I am thinking about putting spacers but I haven't gotten to it yet. The manual is essentially the same as you said and I didn't have to cut the front facia at all. Make sure you do all the fan mods though. Also you won't have to change the water pump pulley either. I got a tuner kit so I don't know about the tune that comes with the kit. Just call Vortech and ask who did the tuning is all I can come up with. It took my buddy and I 11 hours from start to driving.

So there is clearance issues, I was afraid of that.
As you say spacers though might be the resolve though...good idea.
I forgot to mention but mines a 13....that would be awesome If I didn't need to cut up my inner facia, but for sure there will be cutting on the lower engine tray portion.
My plans are to try out the supplied tune, but No doubt it's gonna suck.
I guess it's $800 bucks for a tune session on the dyno I guess.... My wife hates me and that mustang....lol
She calls it " THE *****".... Hahahaha
Old 6/15/14, 11:27 AM

Have you purchased the kit already? I forgot to mention that I still have to cut my lower engine tray and the engine top cover too. I didn't do the PCV valve mods either for I bought K&N breathers instead.

$800 tune session ouch... It would be done correctly though. Like I said earlier I went with the tuner kit so I got the injectors, SCT X4 and a tune from Blowby Racing. I have to do some further data logging on a back road and send them the files for updating and such. It's a cheaper way to go, but a tad bit risky at the same time.

Last edited by MustangD; 6/15/14 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Update
Old 6/15/14, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Have you purchased the kit already? I forgot to mention that I still have to cut my lower engine tray and the engine top cover too. I didn't do the PCV valve mods either for I bought K&N breathers instead. $800 tune session ouch... It would be done correctly though. Like I said earlier I went with the tuner kit so I got the injectors, SCT X4 and a tune from Blowby Racing. I have to do some further data logging on a back road and send them the files for updating and such. It's a cheaper way to go, but a tad bit risky at the same time.

Tomorrow is the purchase day... The kit comes with 47 lb injectors.... That $800 for tuning will cover 4 hrs of time with the dyno so they will do 5 pulls for sure till they get it right.

The cutting and fitting is gonna be a pain but I'll take my time to get it right.
I found out today there is a stedda shop out here where I am so I think I'll take it to them, there tunes are great from what I hear.
Old 6/15/14, 05:08 PM

I sent you a pm.
Old 6/15/14, 05:36 PM
GT Member

I would recommend getting an aftermarket slim fan shroud, AM has one will save you time and alot more clearance. also get a 160deg thermostat and have the tuner set the fan to come on at 185 deg, My car runs cooler than when it was stock.

#2 Get an after market coolant reservoir, the one that comes with the kit not very good.

#3 Get T-Bolt clams don't use the one's that come with the kit. JPC has a kit for the vortech.

#4 (NOT NEED) But you would like it. Get an Tail BOV ,,,JPC has one for the vortech

I have Long tubes, boss intake, 80lb injec, methanol injection,
I made 680 HP and 577 TQ and my car is AUTO which is about 20% drive train loss which comes out to 820 to the crank!!!!!

MPT TUNED

Name:  IMG_1339.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  113.5 KB

Last edited by racksteris; 6/15/14 at 05:40 PM.
Old 6/15/14, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by racksteris
#1 I would recommend getting an aftermarket slim fan shroud, AM has one will save you time and alot more clearance. also get a 160deg thermostat and have the tuner set the fan to come on at 185 deg, My car runs cooler than when it was stock. #2 Get an after market coolant reservoir, the one that comes with the kit not very good. #3 Get T-Bolt clams don't use the one's that come with the kit. JPC has a kit for the vortech. #4 (NOT NEED) But you would like it. Get an Tail BOV ,,,JPC has one for the vortech I have Long tubes, boss intake, 80lb injec, methanol injection, I made 680 HP and 577 TQ and my car is AUTO which is about 20% drive train loss which comes out to 820 to the crank!!!!! MPT TUNED

Number 4 is what?

All the rest are great ideas and info... Thanks bud.
What ever will make this as easy as possible.
Cheers
Old 6/15/14, 08:07 PM

I am having issues with the PM, my computer or connection... anyways, just make sure you reseal the upper fitting on the resivoir, and check the lower connection as well for mine had grooves molded into it, the lower connection tube, which allowed coolant to seep out past the hose clamps no matter how tight they were. I ended up shaving down the surrounding high spots to ensure a tight fit/seal.

I am thinking about the JPS upgrade tank as mentioned above by racksteris.

Last edited by MustangD; 6/15/14 at 08:11 PM. Reason: update
Old 6/15/14, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I am having issues with the PM, my computer or connection... anyways, just make sure you reseal the upper fitting on the resivoir, and check the lower connection as well for mine had grooves molded into it, the lower connection tube, which allowed coolant to seep out past the hose clamps no matter how tight they were. I ended up shaving down the surrounding high spots to ensure a tight fit/seal.
Makes sense....
Thanks bud.
I won't be in a rush doing the install so I'll double check everything.