5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

tune alone vs tune + intake? tune companies?

Search this Thread

Old 2/26/14, 02:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
Not sure why I bothered posting this other than I've had a ****ty last couple of days and just felt like pointing that out because it was bothering me. Carry on.
Lol, I feel ya
Old 2/27/14, 10:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LHO
You're right in your last couple statements, that's for sure. I'm going to harsh your mellow here a bit, though.

If the times in your sig are accurate for best: Best 1/8 Mile: 7.66 @ 89+ Best 1/4 Mile: 12.03 @ 113+

You aren't making 409 wheel horsepower. Taking an high-side race weight of about 3800 and calculating, you're looking at about 430 flywheel. Obviously less if the car weighs less.

Two different cars, 5LHO. The times in my sig are for my '14 GT automatic (which I've never dyno'd), while the 409 rwhp was my '11 GT manual. My '11 GT manual trapped at 117 mph and weighed 3700 lbs with me in it.

On a side note, my '14 GT automatic weighs 3800 lbs with me in it, traps just over 113 mph, putting it at about 385 rwhp by my estimates (again, I've never dyno'd the '14 - just the '11).

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 2/27/14 at 10:22 PM.
Old 3/1/14, 05:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Got it, that makes sense. That '11 is very healthy for the mod level.
Old 3/1/14, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I've read several different posts and I think the best advice is speak to your service department at your dealer. I had 3 local dealers tell me that the procal voids all your warranty for your power train. It is replaced by the 3/36000 that Ford racing provides. I've read different responses on here but I believe what all your local dealers will say and put in writing is what your warranty is. I wouldn't put faith in what forum members or vendors say. Good luck in your choice. I hope all goes well.
This! The Procal voids the powertrain warranty by Ford and replaces it with it's own warranty by Ford Racing, as Ford and Ford Racing are two different companies. If something goes wrong with the car then your dealer has to get in contact with Ford Racing to accept the warranty work.

Also, you have to look our for pinging issues on the Procal.
Old 3/1/14, 08:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Got it, that makes sense. That '11 is very healthy for the mod level.
Gotta say I was surprised with the 409 rwhp in my '11 GT until I hit the 1/4 mile and ran 117+ through the traps. The tune was just a canned SCT 92 octane "strategy" tune that came with my SCT tuner - not some fancy/famous tuner. That 409 rwhp was on a very stingy Mustang chassis dyno, too, not a Dynojet (which typically reads higher).
Old 3/1/14, 11:19 PM
Bullitt Member

The SCT strategy tune pushes the timing pretty hard and these engines don't particularly love that. If it's working and you monitor it a bit, good on ya. We are the same, getting more than we expected out of something that shouldn't deliver it. Not a bad place to be.

The Procal all in, is about 25-26 degrees total, which is modestly high and why it needs good gas. Real, non-blended 91 is fine, for me, ping-free.

Just like you, I was pretty pleased with 115+ out of a 91 octane torque tune. Hard to argue with that, it's way over Ford's power claims for the tune. I've seen big-name company 93 race tunes not mph that high, in similar vehicles. I'm about 3700 pounds race weight, as well.

I feel the car has maybe another tenth or two of ET in it but it's pretty much maxing out on mph where it's at and that's a-ok for a DD.
Old 3/4/14, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The SCT strategy tune pushes the timing pretty hard and these engines don't particularly love that.
I could not agree with this statement more.
Old 3/8/14, 07:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r00st
The pro cal tune is made by ford racing and has its own powertrain warranty that (as far as i know) does not affect the remainder of. person original warranty at all. So in my case, i have a bumper to bumper 100k warranty. Once the warranty that comes with the procal tune is up (2 years i think?) My bumper to bumper is still im effect, unchanged by the tune.
I don't know where you heard that but I've heard otherwise from Ford service writers and frankly I would think it negates the engine part of your extended warranty.

I think the whole lesson is: if you're gonna tune, tune right tune smart! Get the most the HP you can from the table SAFELY. Don't listen to hearsay about 'factory' aftermarket tunes chasing some clause somewhere... From the feedback I've read the procal yields the least gain while causing some pinging - again hearsay but enough for me to look to what the other vendors offer...

If you're looking for some magic way to be safe unfortunately it doesn't exist. These cars and engines are just too complicated to apply a band aid way. From what I've read and other members here can correct me, reputable tuners when beginning to tune will ask you to data log stock to see if there are any signs of premature failure and then see what can be done from there. That I think would be the only way to safely tune these cars.
Old 3/9/14, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

You might think that but, nowhere in the documents does it say that the regular PT warranty is affected by the installation of Procal. I'm still waiting for someone to find text that says this, from Ford.

Warranties need to have specific exclusions or they carry the force of a contract. You can't just have a practice of voiding warranties without specifically articulating what you are voiding them for. Ford has got on this lately, by issuing a TSB to have technicians check for aftermarket tunes when there is an engine in with damage. This I totally understand, as what OEM wants to cover warranty on parts the owner modified? This was their answer to some early 5.0 tuners doing stupid stuff and frying engines.

Procal has its own warranty which replaces the duration of the new vehicle 3 year warranty on powertrain components. This is a stellar warranty by comparison to other efforts in the area. Nowhere, again, does it say the installation of Procal voids the 5/50 PT warranty. I do think it may have an effect on an extended warranty though, and one might want to check that out.

I will say that no one has really put this to the test, though, because nobody, as far as I can tell, has blown an engine with the Procal installed and, that's way better than any warranty.

Last edited by 5LHO; 3/9/14 at 02:56 PM.
Old 3/9/14, 05:24 PM
Cobra R Member

You might think that but, nowhere in the documents does it say that the regular PT warranty is affected by the installation of Procal. I'm still waiting for someone to find text that says this, from Ford.

Warranties need to have specific exclusions or they carry the force of a contract. You can't just have a practice of voiding warranties without specifically articulating what you are voiding them for. Ford has got on this lately, by issuing a TSB to have technicians check for aftermarket tunes when there is an engine in with damage. This I totally understand, as what OEM wants to cover warranty on parts the owner modified? This was their answer to some early 5.0 tuners doing stupid stuff and frying engines.

Procal has its own warranty which replaces the duration of the new vehicle 3 year warranty on powertrain components. This is a stellar warranty by comparison to other efforts in the area. Nowhere, again, does it say the installation of Procal voids the 5/50 PT warranty. I do think it may have an effect on an extended warranty though, and one might want to check that out.

I will say that no one has really put this to the test, though, because nobody, as far as I can tell, has blown an engine with the Procal installed and, that's way better than any warranty.
You can do what I did and call Ford and Ford racing. Ford told me that Ford racing is a separate company. I would have to ask them.

Ford racing said they assume the warranty and give a 3/36. Your warranty for the powertrain is lowered to that value.
Hey, it's your car. If nothing having happened to anyone you know is sufficient as a warranty, why not go with a more aggressive tune? I don't know of any issues with steeda, bama, lund, or any other vendor.
Old 3/10/14, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I don't know of any issues with bama,
Seriously? They have been the biggest culprit.