5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trans [6 spd] fluid info

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/12, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fake
Amsoil is not recommending MTG now because ford has once again changed fluid specs. Amsoil, Red Line, etc. has nothing to offer that is the equivalent of the QDC fluid Ford is now using. Amsoil, Red Line, etc. do not carry anything as thin as the QDC fluid so they can not recommend anything for the MT82. Ford no longer certifies the QS fluid, so the other companies in good faith can not recommend anything else either.

There was a post about 3 months ago from a Red Line Representative who said Red Line can no longer recommend MTL as a replacement for the MT82 because ford had changed oil specs to the QDC. He said Red Line has nothing in their product line equivalent to the QDC fluid.

Companies are not going to go against what Ford NOW says to put in the MT82. They don't want to be blamed for any potential failures.

MTG is the same exact oil weight at the QS fluid used in every single 2011 MT82 and all of the Job 1 2012's. MTG not only is the same weight but exceeds Fords QS fluid in every single catagory. If I had a Job 2 2012, I would be using MTL for my fluid.
You are missing the point. QS is used in more transmissions than the MT-82. The fluid has been around for longer than the current mustang application of the MT-82. If a fluid meets ford spec, WSD-M2C200-C (QS fluid), it meets it. Period. end of story.

It does not matter what ford now says should be in MT-82 with regards to it meeting the engineering specification. The specification for QS fluid, WSD-M2C200-C did not change. Ford has changed what specification it recommends for MT-82, but not for MTX-75 2011 and prior. Not for IB5 at all. The people who own those vehicles, including some Focus models, would be able to use these 3rd party fluids with no risk to amsoil or redline, as the current pdf ( http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...f/mantrans.pdf ) lists it as the current ford recommended fluid for these transmissions (if of course the fluids met WSD-M2C200-C ).

QDC has a different Ford engineering specification, WSS–M2C200-D2.

And According to the response to NTHSA, the engineering change notice for QDC, WSS–M2C200-D2 was incorporated into production 07/25/2011 and done as a running change (consuming existing fluid).

According to the report QDC became available June 1.However it was done as a running change. The table I am not sure how to interpret. Effective date is "unknown". The incorporation date could be the date the QS ran out or it could be the date the change was made and QS was no longer re-ordered. "unknown" might mean nobody knows when the last QS factory fill car came off the line.

An engineering change done like this means that both fluids meet Ford's internal durability requirements and the engineering department issuing the change wasn't in a hurry to change it, ford didn't want to scrap the QS fluid, and they might not even know the serial number break point.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-con...a-response.pdf

Last edited by 97GT12; 1/19/12 at 07:33 PM.
Old 1/19/12, 09:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I'm going to go with either royal purple synchromax or blusynthetics tech series MTF-FS! They both comply with the WSS-M2C200-D2 ford specifications and are GL-4 oils. They use Stock base V synthetics the best! And from what I have read at various web sites they out perform amsoil and redline.
Old 1/20/12, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bmeline916
Well I'm going to go with either royal purple synchromax or blusynthetics tech series MTF-FS! They both comply with the WSS-M2C200-D2 ford specifications and are GL-4 oils. They use Stock base V synthetics the best! And from what I have read at various web sites they out perform amsoil and redline.
Have heard nothing but bad things about Royal Purple Synchromax in these transmissions.
Old 1/20/12, 09:46 AM
JAJ
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BlackMamba03
Have heard nothing but bad things about Royal Purple Synchromax in these transmissions.
I've read two or three reviews of RP Synchromax and all have said that it isn't a good match for this transmission.

The Blusynthetics products sound interesting - I'm curious to hear how it might work.
Old 1/20/12, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I checked Royal Purple and they just have a cross reference chart. They aren't saying they meet the ford specification. What is also disturbing is that their synchromax is "recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid" this sounds wrong for MT-82. Worse is they cross reference QS to a motor oil. Sounds like some force fitting of existing product.

Blu I found in previous searches, but it has very limited availability in the USA. The data sheet lists both ford engineering specifications as recommended applications. The product description says it meets multiple OEM requirements so I interpret that list as meeting the specs.

Blu's looks right, seems right, they list both ford specs as recommended applications. In my non-legal opinion there shouldn't be a warranty issue with it. If it improves feel or not is another story and it will take someone to actually try it.

Last edited by 97GT12; 1/20/12 at 10:39 AM.
Old 1/21/12, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97GT12
I checked Royal Purple and they just have a cross reference chart. They aren't saying they meet the ford specification. What is also disturbing is that their synchromax is "recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid" this sounds wrong for MT-82. Worse is they cross reference QS to a motor oil. Sounds like some force fitting of existing product.

Blu I found in previous searches, but it has very limited availability in the USA. The data sheet lists both ford engineering specifications as recommended applications. The product description says it meets multiple OEM requirements so I interpret that list as meeting the specs.

Blu's looks right, seems right, they list both ford specs as recommended applications. In my non-legal opinion there shouldn't be a warranty issue with it. If it improves feel or not is another story and it will take someone to actually try it.
I think I'm going to try the blu synthetic mtf-FS 75w-80 trans fluid I did some reading up on their page and sounds like they make a great product! So I will give it a shot. Have had a few rough shifts with the motorcraft QDC fluid but no major problems, but if this improves shift feel and eliminates rough cold shifts than it will be worth the trouble of finding and ordering it as access to this product is limited in the US.
Old 1/22/12, 10:32 AM
GT Member

Here's how to buy Amsoil at whole sale prices. Go to their website sign up for the 6 month preferred customer program. It costs $10.00 of which your Amsoil rep. pays for, so it costs you nothing. Within a few days you get your account # and ordering kit in the mail. After that go to their website place your order with your account # and save big bucks. They delivered my 12 quart case of Signature Series Synthetic 5/20 motor oil and my 3 quarts of 75/90 GL4 manual transmission oil in 2 days of my order. Its easy, go get some....

link:
http://www.performanceoiltechnology....fo_request.htm

Last edited by kona stang10; 1/22/12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 1/23/12, 07:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kona stang10
Here's how to buy Amsoil at whole sale prices. Go to their website sign up for the 6 month preferred customer program. It costs $10.00 of which your Amsoil rep. pays for, so it costs you nothing. Within a few days you get your account # and ordering kit in the mail. After that go to their website place your order with your account # and save big bucks. They delivered my 12 quart case of Signature Series Synthetic 5/20 motor oil and my 3 quarts of 75/90 GL4 manual transmission oil in 2 days of my order. Its easy, go get some....

link:
http://www.performanceoiltechnology....fo_request.htm
Thanks, just signed up
Old 1/24/12, 12:07 AM
Cobra R Member

How much does it save you?! Is it worth the 20/year membership fee?

I guess if you're buying oil and tranny fluid but if only looking for trans I guess not. Maybe I'll use AMSoil instead of Mobil1
Old 1/24/12, 04:25 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I went to the ford place today to get my trans fluid changed and flushed. They didn't say it would cost anything till after the work was done. I thought because my trans was whining it would be warranty work. Boy was I wrong. 200 at first then I convinced them to drop it to 150 and just pay for the fluid because nobody told me anything. I think the fluid is QDC. Does that sound about right for fluid.
Old 1/24/12, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JEdwards001
Ok I went to the ford place today to get my trans fluid changed and flushed. They didn't say it would cost anything till after the work was done. I thought because my trans was whining it would be warranty work. Boy was I wrong. 200 at first then I convinced them to drop it to 150 and just pay for the fluid because nobody told me anything. I think the fluid is QDC. Does that sound about right for fluid.
Yes motorcraft QDC , but it should have costed u nothing the warranty should have covered that swap it did not cost me a penny my warranty covered my swap. There is a TSB on the fluid swap from QS to QDC.
Old 1/24/12, 04:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Bmeline916

Yes motorcraft QDC , but it should have costed u nothing the warranty should have covered that swap it did not cost me a penny my warranty covered my swap. There is a TSB on the fluid swap from QS to QDC.
I had my transmission changed out for a new one about 4 months or so ago. So it probably had the QDC in it already. I was just trying to eliminate the whine.
Old 1/24/12, 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

I had my transmission changed out for a new one about 4 months or so ago. So it probably had the QDC in it already. I was just trying to eliminate the whine.
The QDC is why it's whining. IMO its far too thin for the trans. Switch to redline MTL or something and the whine disappears.

I used Amsoil MTG and my trans is incredibly good combined with my MGW shifter.
Old 1/24/12, 04:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26

The QDC is why it's whining. IMO its far too thin for the trans. Switch to redline MTL or something and the whine disappears.

I used Amsoil MTG and my trans is incredibly good combined with my MGW shifter.
What exactly is the weight of the oil and where can I buy it?
Old 1/24/12, 04:55 PM
Cobra Member

What exactly is the weight of the oil and where can I buy it?
Amsoil MTG you have to get from Amsoil directly or from an Amsoil dealer.

Redline MTL you can get from summit.

I'm on my mobile right now so i dont have exact weight specs. They are both closer to the QS fluid that the car came with stock. Just google either "Amsoil MTG" or "Redline MTL"

They both only use that terminology for a single weight of fluid so it shouldn't be hard to find.
Old 1/24/12, 05:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26

Amsoil MTG you have to get from Amsoil directly or from an Amsoil dealer.

Redline MTL you can get from summit.

I'm on my mobile right now so i dont have exact weight specs. They are both closer to the QS fluid that the car came with stock. Just google either "Amsoil MTG" or "Redline MTL"

They both only use that terminology for a single weight of fluid so it shouldn't be hard to find.
Ok thanks. I just hate having to worry about my trans and the whine isn't horribly bad. The trans is shifting fine it just gets me deep down thinking something is wrong with it.
Old 1/24/12, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok thanks. I just hate having to worry about my trans and the whine isn't horribly bad. The trans is shifting fine it just gets me deep down thinking something is wrong with it.
Amsoil MTG is 75w90. Check this out......

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx
Old 1/24/12, 07:35 PM
GT Member

So I've read it takes 2.7 liters and it comes in quarts. The break down I got was 3 quarts will be around 2.8 liters. So that's all I should need right?
Old 1/25/12, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

So I've read it takes 2.7 liters and it comes in quarts. The break down I got was 3 quarts will be around 2.8 liters. So that's all I should need right?
You should have about 1/4 left in the 3rd bottle if you fill it to the correct 2.7qts.
Old 1/25/12, 01:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by fake

You should have about 1/4 left in the 3rd bottle if you fill it to the correct 2.7qts.
Ok thanks. That's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure.

Quick Reply: Trans [6 spd] fluid info