5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trans [6 spd] fluid info

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/12, 10:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JAJ
I imagine that Amsoil has stopped recommending MTG now that MTG is the "wrong" viscosity for the MT-82. Their website says that they don't have a suitable fluid, and that you should use the Motorcraft QDC product.
This doesn't make sense to me, if it meets XT-M5-QS / WSD-M2C200-C It meets it and should say so.

There is no risk to warranty running something that meets that spec, at least for those of us who have owner's manuals that call that out. The TSB as I recall didn't void the QS fluid, it's still perfectly valid, the TSB rather added an option. Unfortunately I get the feeling QS might become totally unavailable at some point in time.

Also, XT-M5-QS / WSD-M2C200-C still applies to many cars world wide. There is no need to remove a statement that meets that spec.

Originally Posted by fake
Those of you worried about warranty, I was told by Deysha (ford customer service rep) in one of my posts that ford can not void your warranty if you use a product that meets or exceeds fords fluid.
But without that in writing, how are you going to prove it?

Amsoil has a few specs on their page for MTG but it's hardly a full specification, nor are they entirely the same ones motorcraft lists for QS.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx

vs.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...on%20Fluid.pdf

Last edited by 97GT12; 1/18/12 at 10:37 PM.
Old 1/18/12, 11:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So first Redline pulls out and now Amsoil.. What gives? Both so far are being proven substantial if not better replacements.
Old 1/19/12, 03:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Interesting....hm

Any local stores carry the amsoil?
Old 1/19/12, 07:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
So first Redline pulls out and now Amsoil.. What gives? Both so far are being proven substantial if not better replacements.
Because neither Redline or Amsoil has anything in their line that comes close to the QDC fluid; OR I should say as thin as the QDC fluid. Ford just recently switched their specs for the MT82 to the QDC fluid.

Last edited by fake; 1/19/12 at 08:19 AM.
Old 1/19/12, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97GT12

But without that in writing, how are you going to prove it?
I can always print the page where Deysha told me it would not void the warranty. That's in writing per say. lol

It also says in the manual somewhere to use fluids that meet and exceed Fords specs.

Last edited by fake; 1/19/12 at 08:20 AM.
Old 1/19/12, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the fluid change, IAW the TSB, at a little over 13,000 miles, due to cold shifting difficulties. That was 4,000 miles ago. Shifting, especially from 1st to 2nd, in the cold weather is vastly improved. I have not experienced the whine others have complained about, and most of my driving is high speed on the Interstate (75 cruising).

If you are not having any problems, leave it alone. If you begin to experience problems take it to the dealer. That is what the warranty is for. Use it. My dealer was very cooperative, and ordered the fluid since they did not have any in stock. Three days later, I went in and 45 minutes later was back out.

Taking a chance on changing the fluid to something that does not currently meet Ford specs can be very expensive, if a transmission failure takes place.

If you are concerned about "junk" in the factory fill, take it in to the dealer and pay to have them change to fresh fluid. That way you will have piece of mind and no worries about future problems. After the warranty expires you can fill it with anything you like.
Old 1/19/12, 09:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you worried about warranty on fluids...

Do you really think a Ford trans tech is going to drain the oil, send it to be analyzed, wait for the results, etc....

No, he's going to drain it into their bulk used oil container and call it a day.
Old 1/19/12, 10:44 AM
JAJ
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26

Do you really think a Ford trans tech is going to drain the oil, send it to be analyzed, wait for the results, etc....

No, he's going to drain it into their bulk used oil container and call it a day.
You're probably correct.

The MT-82 fluid recommendation is a bit confusing, but it's clear enough if you take it at face value. Since August 2011 Ford has removed all recommendations to use QS fluid in the MT-82 transmissions in Mustang GT's and V6's and replaced it with QDC. It's very unlikely that Redline and Amsoil would recommend a fluid that's substantially different than Ford's recommendation, so they don't recommend a QS-like fluid any more either.

The confusion arises because the fluid specification in the 2011 owner's manual was QDC fluid, while the 2012 owners manual calls for QS fluid. The specification in the workshop manual is WSS–M2C200-D2 for both years, which is only met by QDC. The confusion is further enhanced because the Boss 302 Owners Supplement calls for WSS-M2C200-C and QS 75w-90 fluid. Basically, Ford's documentation allows you to take your pick, so long as you don't pick wrong.

As for claims of non-Motorcraft product's "superiority" because they're blended with "real" synthetic ingredients, the WSD–M2C200-C and the WSS–M2C200-D2 specifications both require a PAO-based lubricant. The QS and QDC Motorcraft fluids that get slagged all the time for being blended out of pond scum and stale beer were originally formulated by Castrol in Europe and are both "Full Synthetic" in the strictest sense of the term. BOT-130M is Castrol's name for the QS and CASTROL SYNTRANS FE 75W is their name for QDC.

Last edited by JAJ; 1/19/12 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Changed the "specification paragraph" after Deysha's post
Old 1/19/12, 10:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Exactly.
Old 1/19/12, 11:55 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The original fluid was 75W90 and the new Dual Clutch Fluid is 75W. Again, whichever brand it is replaced with, it will still have to meet the fluid specifications (WSS-M2C200-D2).

Deysha
Old 1/19/12, 02:46 PM
Cobra R Member

and MTL and MTG dont meet that spec......?

Anyone know what local chain stores carry the Amsoil MTG??

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 1/19/12 at 02:53 PM.
Old 1/19/12, 03:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JAJ
The MT-82 fluid recommendation is a bit confusing, but it's clear enough if you take it at face value. Since August 2011 Ford has removed all recommendations to use QS fluid in the MT-82 transmissions in Mustang GT's and V6's and replaced it with QDC. It's very unlikely that Redline and Amsoil would recommend a fluid that's substantially different than Ford's recommendation, so they don't recommend a QS-like fluid any more either.

The confusion arises because the fluid specification in the 2011 owner's manual was QDC fluid, while the 2012 owners manual calls for QS fluid. The specification in the workshop manual is WSS-M2C200-D2 for both years, which is only met by QDC. The confusion is further enhanced because the Boss 302 Owners Supplement calls for WSS-M2C200-C and QS 75w-90 fluid. Basically, Ford's documentation allows you to take your pick, so long as you don't pick wrong.

As for claims of non-Motorcraft product's "superiority" because they're blended with "real" synthetic ingredients, the WSD-M2C200-C and the WSS-M2C200-D2 specifications both require a PAO-based lubricant. The QS and QDC Motorcraft fluids that get slagged all the time for being blended out of pond scum and stale beer were originally formulated by Castrol in Europe and are both "Full Synthetic" in the strictest sense of the term. BOT-130M is Castrol's name for the QS and CASTROL SYNTRANS FE 75W is their name for QDC.
Good to know, thanks! I never looked that deeply into it but I was concerned that MTG now doesn't meet specs.

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
and MTL and MTG dont meet that spec......?

Anyone know what local chain stores carry the Amsoil MTG??
I think you have to find a local dealer or buy online.
Old 1/19/12, 03:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Good to know, thanks! I never looked that deeply into it but I was concerned that MTG now doesn't meet specs.
It doesn't meet specs of the new QDC fluid, but it meets the specs of the "old" QS fluid. Theres hundreds of thousands of Mustangs driving around with QDC in them, which Ford is perfectly ok with. If they weren't, they'd recall it. So I'd venture to say the Amsoil MTG/Redline MTG would be perfectly fine. BUT, that's based on common sense, and thats not very common.....

I think you have to find a local dealer or buy online.
Yeah, I just looked on their site, and it gave me a ladies name and number but when I mapped it, its a private residence??? Rather odd.

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 1/19/12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 1/19/12, 03:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't meet specs of the new QC fluid, but it meets the specs of the "old" QDC fluid. Theres hundreds of thousands of Mustangs driving around with QDC in them, which Ford is perfectly ok with. If they weren't, they'd recall it. So I'd venture to say the Amsoil MTG/Redline MTG would be perfectly fine. BUT, that's based on common sense, and thats not very common.....

Yeah, I just looked on their site, and it gave me a ladies name and number but when I mapped it, its a private residence??? Rather odd.

You've got it backwards. QS is the old fluid, QDC is the new fluid.
Old 1/19/12, 03:33 PM
JAJ
V6 Member

Welcome to the miracle of Amsoil's multi-level marketing program. The only way for a consumer to buy Amsoil is to buy from an Amsoil independent business operator, and there are a lot of them out there. That's why you get buried under Amsoil hits when you Google "motor oil". Every IBO has a site and they're all hustling to get your business.

I don't know how it works if you buy off the Amsoil site, but presumably your sale will be assigned (randomly?) to an IBO who gets credit for it.

To be clear by the way, I'm not part of Amsoil's marketing program or anyone else's for that matter. I know something about these systems because I've been a product supplier to a bunch of the companies that run them.
Old 1/19/12, 03:57 PM
Cobra R Member

oops, I was looking at JAJs post and misunderstood it.
Old 1/19/12, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by fake
I can always print the page where Deysha told me it would not void the warranty. That's in writing per say. lol

It also says in the manual somewhere to use fluids that meet and exceed Fords specs.
But WHERE does Amsoil says it does? That's the problem. If Amsoil would put meeting the WSD-M2C200-C spec in writing then at least one could point to the owners manual and say it says to use fluid meeting that spec. But amsoil if it ever had that, has removed it. There is no reason to remove it because ford changed retroactively for MT-82 as WSD-M2C200-C is still necessary for other vehicles.

I am looking at the manual transmission fluid chart and MTX-75 (1995-2011) and IB5 (2000-2007,2011-2012) call for it.

Supposedly QS and QDC are obviously different from other transmission fluids. If the dealership wants to avoid warranty work for more profit the employees are going to be directed to look and report such things.

Last edited by 97GT12; 1/19/12 at 05:18 PM.
Old 1/19/12, 05:13 PM
Cobra R Member

From what I hear dealers make more money from warranty work. At least thats what mine had said with my Explorer. They bill Ford corporate for the parts and get the top cost for them and labor.
Old 1/19/12, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97GT12
But WHERE does Amsoil says it does? That's the problem. If Amsoil would put meeting the WSD-M2C200-C spec in writing then at least one could point to the owners manual and say it says to use fluid meeting that spec. But amsoil if it ever had that, has removed it. There is no reason to remove it because ford changed retroactively for MT-82 as WSD-M2C200-C is still necessary for other vehicles.

I am looking at the manual transmission fluid chart and MTX-75 (1995-2011) and IB5 (2000-2007,2011-2012) call for it.

Supposedly QS and QDC are obviously different from other transmission fluids. If the dealership wants to avoid warranty work for more profit the employees are going to be directed to look and report such things.
Amsoil is not recommending MTG now because ford has once again changed fluid specs. Amsoil, Red Line, etc. has nothing to offer that is the equivalent of the QDC fluid Ford is now using. Amsoil, Red Line, etc. do not carry anything as thin as the QDC fluid so they can not recommend anything for the MT82. Ford no longer certifies the QS fluid, so the other companies in good faith can not recommend anything else either.

There was a post about 3 months ago from a Red Line Representative who said Red Line can no longer recommend MTL as a replacement for the MT82 because ford had changed oil specs to the QDC. He said Red Line has nothing in their product line equivalent to the QDC fluid.

Companies are not going to go against what Ford NOW says to put in the MT82. They don't want to be blamed for any potential failures.

MTG is the same exact oil weight at the QS fluid used in every single 2011 MT82 and all of the Job 1 2012's. MTG not only is the same weight but exceeds Fords QS fluid in every single catagory. If I had a Job 2 2012, I would be using MTL for my fluid.

Last edited by fake; 1/19/12 at 06:40 PM.
Old 1/19/12, 06:49 PM
Cobra R Member

when did job 2 start? My car was delivered on 8/21/11

Quick Reply: Trans [6 spd] fluid info