5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Trans [6 spd] fluid info

Search this Thread

Old 1/18/12, 12:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trans [6 spd] fluid info

I finally got a new '12 GT/CS and with everything i've read and the problems with the 6 speed i wanted to change the factory fill.

I checked the owners manual but it doesn't give weight of the fluid. I need to know the weight needed. This made a huge difference in my '05 GTO.

Thanks, Todd.
Old 1/18/12, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's 75w90. I'd go with this.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx
Old 1/18/12, 09:25 AM
GTR Member

Is the transmission giving you problems shifting or are you just changing because of the bad stories?

If the transmission is shifting okay then leave it alone.
Old 1/18/12, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

No problems, just want to flush out any debris and didn't know the weight.

Thanks.
Old 1/18/12, 10:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Is it hard to swap out the fluid?!

What does ford refill it with according to their new TSB when u complain of rough shifts?

Would the tech do that swap instead do you think?

And I hear some people like the Redline MTL and some the Amsoil. Any big differences?
Old 1/18/12, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

I didn't know about the TSB, i'll let them change it then.
Old 1/18/12, 10:14 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
If you begin having problems later on, is the dealer gonna deny your warranty? Cuz I would...

Edit: I didn't refresh the window, and you had already posted. But if there's no current issues, then why change it at all?

Last edited by stupidgenius36; 1/18/12 at 10:15 AM.
Old 1/18/12, 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

I've had 4 fluids in my trans so far.

The stock QS fluid, which was terrible. Horrible noise and gear action.

I then drained and used Redline MTL which was fantastic. Super smooth gear and shifter action.

I then had the car brought in to look at a 5th gear grind when hard shifting, and they put in the TSB fluid, the QDC. It was TERRIBLE! Way too thin for the trans, gear noise was unbearable, and warm shift action was awful.

I then put in Amsoil MTG in my car when I put in my MGW shifter. Its incredible. A little balky for the first few minutes when very cold out, but when warm, its like a hot knife through butter smooth, and the shift action is perfect.

Viscosity in order of thickest to thinest:
QC
MTG
MTL
QDC

Additionally, they will not void your warranty as long as the fluid you use meets Ford's requirements. Amsoil MTG meets and EXCEEDS Ford's requirements, and is a full synthetic fluid.
Old 1/18/12, 10:26 AM
Cobra R Member

There is a TSB, I believe they change it with a lighter weight fluid for better cold shifts.

Other guys know a lot more, so wait for them to chime in. As you can tell from all my Questions lol. I'm sure they are not going to recommend whatever Ford is refilling it with.
Old 1/18/12, 10:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Lewis,

Is the swap of fluids easy? What does it entail. Do you think if I complained of shifts the tech would put the amsoil in in place of the QDC? The car has to go in for a squeak anyway?
Old 1/18/12, 10:53 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Lewis,

Is the swap of fluids easy? What does it entail. Do you think if I complained of shifts the tech would put the amsoil in in place of the QDC? The car has to go in for a squeak anyway?
It's very easy.

-Loosen the fill plug (DO THIS FIRST ALWAYS!)
-Remove drain plug
-Drain fluid
-Replace drain plug
-Use fluid pump to fill trans with 2.7 quarts of fluid
-Replace fill plug

I doubt a dealer tech is going to put the Amsoil in. I would just do it yourself. A Jack and some jackstands and 20 minutes is all it takes.
Old 1/18/12, 12:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Additionally, they will not void your warranty as long as the fluid you use meets Ford's requirements. Amsoil MTG meets and EXCEEDS Ford's requirements, and is a full synthetic fluid.
I cannot find Amsoil's claim of meeting ford's spec for the MT82.

Shows that it meets a Chrysler spec, ZF specs, replaces a specific GM fluid, but no ford specs are mentioned.

Last time I looked the only 3rd party lubricants claiming to meet ford's spec for the MT-82 were available overseas with some very limited distribution in the US from those same companies.
Old 1/18/12, 12:48 PM
JAJ
V6 Member

Originally Posted by t-fatty
I finally got a new '12 GT/CS and with everything i've read and the problems with the 6 speed i wanted to change the factory fill.

I checked the owners manual but it doesn't give weight of the fluid. I need to know the weight needed. This made a huge difference in my '05 GTO.

Thanks, Todd.
Before you go racing off to change the fluid, you should know that if your car was made after August 25, 2011 then it already has the "TSB fluid" in it. Ford doesn't use 75w-90 gear oil in the GT any more. They still use it in the Boss 302, but not the GT. If it came with the new lower viscosity gear oil, then you should replace it with the same, and there are no (I've looked) aftermarket products of the correct viscosity.

So, if your transmission has the thinner QDC fluid in it from the factory, you should probably run it for a while to see if any problems develop. Ford progressively upgraded some of the internals of the transmission and the fluid through the first 8 months of 2011. Most of the problems you read about are with transmissions made before September 2011. It doesn't mean you won't have a problem but it's a lot less likely than the earlier ones.

Last edited by JAJ; 1/18/12 at 12:51 PM.
Old 1/18/12, 12:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 97GT12

Shows that it meets a Chrysler spec, ZF specs, replaces a specific GM fluid, but no ford specs are mentioned.

Last time I looked the only 3rd party lubricants claiming to meet ford's spec for the MT-82 were available overseas with some very limited distribution in the US from those same companies.
It looks like Amsoil took down their recommendation now that ford switched to the QDC fluid as the factory fill.

MTG meets and exceeds the specs of the original QS fluid that came in the car originally, before the TSB came out, and before the QDC switched to the stock fill.

I liked both the MTG and MTL. It really seems to me that Ford has no idea what fluid to use in this trans, In my opinion.
Old 1/18/12, 01:01 PM
JAJ
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT12

I imagine that Amsoil has stopped recommending MTG now that MTG is the "wrong" viscosity for the MT-82. Their website says that they don't have a suitable fluid, and that you should use the Motorcraft QDC product.
Old 1/18/12, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by t-fatty

Thanks, Todd.
If u want to keep warranty go to ur dealer and tell them ur car is shifting rough when cold and ask about the TSB and they will change with no problems. I'm sticking to the TSB DC fluid so if anything happens they will warranty my trans! That's where it ends for me! If I'm not mistaken ford uses motorcraft dual clutch fluid not sure about the weight. Will check my paper work when I get home and update.
Old 1/18/12, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
I've had 4 fluids in my trans so far.

The stock QS fluid, which was terrible. Horrible noise and gear action.

I then drained and used Redline MTL which was fantastic. Super smooth gear and shifter action.

I then had the car brought in to look at a 5th gear grind when hard shifting, and they put in the TSB fluid, the QDC. It was TERRIBLE! Way too thin for the trans, gear noise was unbearable, and warm shift action was awful.

I then put in Amsoil MTG in my car when I put in my MGW shifter. Its incredible. A little balky for the first few minutes when very cold out, but when warm, its like a hot knife through butter smooth, and the shift action is perfect.

Viscosity in order of thickest to thinest:
QC
MTG
MTL
QDC

All of this times 100000000000
Old 1/18/12, 08:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MTL in mine right now and it's working fine but I'll be switching to Amsoil in the spring.

And I agree with the others, if nothings wrong I'd leave it alone for now being so new.
Old 1/18/12, 09:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JAJ
I imagine that Amsoil has stopped recommending MTG now that MTG is the "wrong" viscosity for the MT-82. Their website says that they don't have a suitable fluid, and that you should use the Motorcraft QDC product.
How is it the "wrong" viscosity? It's the same weight at the QS crap ford put in every singe 2011 & Job 1 2012 MT82's. Amsoil probably did change their recommendation, since ford switched over to the QDC fluid now. Amsoil doesn't have anything thin enough to meet Fords recommended QDC fluid.

Both QS and the QDC have a cheap base foundation which is why I switched to MTL the first 900 miles. I am now using MTG and love it.

Those of you worried about warranty, I was told by Deysha (ford customer service rep) in one of my posts that ford can not void your warranty if you use a product that meets or exceeds fords fluid.

Last edited by fake; 1/18/12 at 09:26 PM.
Old 1/18/12, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by fake
Ford can't void your warranty if you use a product that meets or exceeds Ford fluids.
I've read this as well. In my opinion, the Ford fluid should be removed before the car reaches 1,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Trans [6 spd] fluid info