5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda Tune or Ford ProCal-II?

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/14, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda Tune or Ford ProCal-II?

I know this topic is beaten to death, but wanted to see if anybody had experience with both to comment.

Have been doing a bit of research on both, and have narrowed it down to each for a number of reasons, cost being of importance as I don't know how long I really plan on keeping this thing, so I figured go conservative.

2014 5.0L GT
MT-82
3.73s
Brembo Package

Ran it at the track a few weeks ago, 80* weather, ran a couple of 13.0s @ 110.75mph hitting the rev limiter in 4th a ways before the finish line. The one run I shifted to 5th, eeked out a 12.94 @109.80. This was with 60-foot times in 1.90s.

Pro-Cal II Question:

Does it raise the rev limiter at all? I literally need like 200-300 rpm ideally to make it through the traps without tagging the limiter. Does that 60lbs-ft claim at 1500rpm feel legit or is it just a blip on a dyno sheet that I might not even feel with 3.73s since it buzzes pretty fast through the rpms as it is?

Steeda Tune Question:

Is torque management reduced/eliminated at all? Is it noticeably better/worse/different than the Pro-Cal?

From what I have gathered is the Pro-Cal shines in traffic and on the street, while Steeda and the name-brand tunes are more overall performance orritented and might have a little bit more up top, but not as much on the bottom end.

Steeda has a 20% off Labor Day sale going on, and the ProCal can be had for under $300...and you get $75 back if you return it to Ford. The warranty aspect I like with the ProCal, however Steeda hasn't had any failures and they are a partner with Ford, so not really concerned there...but having the warranty and a tune is still a bonus.
Old 8/28/14, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveStryker
Steeda has a 20% off Labor Day sale going on, and the ProCal can be had for under $300...and you get $75 back if you return it to Ford. The warranty aspect I like with the ProCal, however Steeda hasn't had any failures and they are a partner with Ford, so not really concerned there...but having the warranty and a tune is still a bonus.
Not sure if you are looking at the right price? FRPP part # 161-M-14204-MGTTC is $554.00 at Steeda.com. Plus it does not qualify for the discount since it is not a Steeda manufactured part.

I also checked and that code is not even good on the SCT X4 tuner with the Steeda tunes for life. But it is good if you get the Steeda ultimate induction pack. That includes the Steeda intake.
Old 8/30/14, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
To actually answer your questions, or at least some:

Procal does NOT raise rev limits, all factory safety stuff is in place, including clutch protection, cat overtemp, etc. I went with a 28" tire at the track to get around the 4-5 shift at the stripe on a 26" drag tire and 3.73. The factory Brembo Pzeros are around 27" so, still just a hair short for staying in 4th, if you have a strong running car.

The bottom end punch is very strong on the Procal. It's a huge improvement over stock. You won't be at 1500 rpm much on a 3.73 gearset but, the effect is very marked and completely legit.

I have shoved this tune solidly into the 11s with no other power mods, on a slick tire. This on a fully loaded Premium GT with no weight reduction.

I paid $289 for PC2 MGBT kit, which is just the tune and filter combo, in 2012. Hard to beat that, especially since I'm doing better than my friends with aftermarket tunes.