5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda Tri Ax and some ??????

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/11, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda Tri Ax and some ??????

Hey Guys,

Just joined the site and wow I am impressed with the content!!

I purchased a 2011 Mustang GT 2 months ago and I am starting to put some aftermarket upgrades on it.

I just purchased the Steeda CAI a couple weeks ago, of course before the sale but oh well. I had a long debate with with my 2 buddies who have Mustangs over which one to get Steeda or MGW. Needless to say they have 1 of each on their car and I tried both of them out. The MGW was nice but the Steeda felt better on the harder shifts. It felt comfortable going into the gears so I pulled the trigger on the Tri Ax and could not be happier! It is a great quality piece!!

THe real question now is... My fiance is creating my wish list for Christmas and I have some questions??

Should I get the Sport Springs and LCA from Steeda which are on sale or should I got with a JLT or Steeda CAI? The JLT looks like a nice piece and they have some great gains but I am a little nervous about the plastic tube. I have heard that they tend to crack under the engine from the heat. The Steeda CAI is little more expensive but I have read it is more durable and is fully enclosed in the engine so hot air doesn't enter the intake. Don't think I have to worry about the pricing since she is buying, but essentially still my money

Power vs. handling hmmm.... Any advice would be helpful!!!
Old 11/19/11, 09:41 AM

I would say to eliminate the wheel hop first.
Old 11/19/11, 11:23 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DBSaints
I would say to eliminate the wheel hop first.
I agree, if you plan on taking it to the drag strip, rear end susp first. If just for driving around with a little extra power, then cai.
Old 11/19/11, 01:46 PM

Spinning ain't winning lol
Old 11/19/11, 01:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you get the CAI you will also need a tuner, so add $380 to that. The springs and LCAs will greatly help with sticking to the ground, and look good as well. It's really easy to do the springs yourself with some basic tools, otherwise shops seem to want way to much for labor for such a simple job.
Old 11/22/11, 06:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Great to see you like the shifter!

Yeah it depends on what your goal is, if you are just driving around want some extra power then a CAI and Tune would be ideal.

PM me and let me know what you are looking to do and we can get you hooked up.
Old 11/22/11, 11:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to TMS! As for the CAI, I have the JLT and it has a heat shield. May not be as nice as the Steeda, but it does the job for $100 less. No offense to Steeda, but that $100 is better spent elsewhere. The only time I've had wheel hop is when it's been wet out. At the strip it wasn't an issue, traction was. You have a hard decision, but whatever you choose, they are all great products. I've attached a pic of my cai so you can see the heat shield, and also is memory of 2012GT lol!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hytek; 11/22/11 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11/23/11, 10:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Although we can't beat JLT's price, we can however pass them in quality an design. We went the extra mile and sealed the stainless steel shield to the hood to prevent any hot air from being sucked in from around the engine compartment. Without some of our features like the billet alluminum and famous “race-tested” velocity stack, sealing it to the hood, etc... we could indeed be cheaper, but we didn't feel that would be beneficial to the customer.

Also the Hard plastic tubing that other manufactures use for thier CAI have been known to crack under the intense heat of the engine compartment.

So if it is the cheapest price and not the highest quality you are looking for than we can't compete against some of the other manufactures, but if its quality, satisfaction, and the comfort knowing that we work with Ford Engineers to develop our products so you know you are getting one of the best on the market, then please give us a call.

Take a look at our gains with the CAI/Tune:

Last edited by tj@steeda; 11/23/11 at 10:58 AM.