Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda tri-ax shifter install problems

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/13, 05:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda tri-ax shifter install problems

Let me start this off by saying I have not contacted Steeda yet, I will first thing in the morning. I am not in any way bashing or making judgment on this product yet. I just bought their short throw shifter this afternoon. I had my mechanic buddy install it for me. Followed all the instructions and even watched the videos to ensure its was done properly. The install seemed to go well. Even the bracket was easier then I expected. We completed the install in about 2 hours.

Went to go drive it and the reverse lock out was not functional at all. I have never had a problem with mixing up reverse and 1st gear but now it's a continual problem. The down shift going from 3rd into 2nd before a turn is not fuild at all.

I am trying to see if anyone is having any of these problems. When in gear and shifting through the gear it's a great unit but when at a stop I am contansely concerned about being in the right gear. Any feedback would be great.
Old 4/15/13, 06:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Hello,

I have not heard of this happening with our Tri Ax ... I have sent your message to our engineering department to see if they have any insight to what is taking place.

Please send me an email at tim@steeda.com with your contact info and well follow up with you ASAP in the morning ... unless I heard back this evening.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/15/13, 06:50 PM
V6 Member

Wow amazing response time. I will pm you now. If this is any indication of your customer service, I am truly impressed.
Old 4/16/13, 10:15 AM
V6 Member

Heard from steeda this morning and they have a replacement unit waiting for me to pick up.
Old 4/16/13, 10:18 AM
V6 Member

Very impressed with the speedy response back and customer service. That goes a long way in my book.
Old 4/16/13, 07:00 PM
Len
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 4/16/13, 07:20 PM
V6 Member

I def will. I pick up the new unit tomorrow.
Old 4/17/13, 10:11 AM
V6 Member

I just want to take this opportunity to thank Tim (customer service), Matt (parts/sales), and Matt (service/install) for all there help and incredible customer service. The communication and professionalism of the staff at Steeda rank with the best I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

I went to Steeda this morning and picked up my replacement part. I decided to have them look at the shifter I installed and they said they have never seen the problems I was having. So Steeda uninstalled the shifter and reinstalled the replacement. The tri-ax shifter now works perfectly. I am very happy with the their product. The shifts are short and smooth. The 2nd to 3rd shift is flawless and the way the car should have come from the factory. The reverse lockout works better then the factory unit. Over all I am very pleased with the Steeda tri-ax shifter and shifter bracket. It is a great Improvement over the factory units.

Once again, I will say if customer service is important to you, than Steeda is a company I would highly suggest. I will definitely be a repeat customer.
Old 4/17/13, 01:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
That's awesome!
Old 4/17/13, 01:31 PM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2013_5.0_GT
I just want to take this opportunity to thank Tim (customer service), Matt (parts/sales), and Matt (service/install) for all there help and incredible customer service. The communication and professionalism of the staff at Steeda rank with the best I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

I went to Steeda this morning and picked up my replacement part. I decided to have them look at the shifter I installed and they said they have never seen the problems I was having. So Steeda uninstalled the shifter and reinstalled the replacement. The tri-ax shifter now works perfectly. I am very happy with the their product. The shifts are short and smooth. The 2nd to 3rd shift is flawless and the way the car should have come from the factory. The reverse lockout works better then the factory unit. Over all I am very pleased with the Steeda tri-ax shifter and shifter bracket. It is a great Improvement over the factory units.

Once again, I will say if customer service is important to you, than Steeda is a company I would highly suggest. I will definitely be a repeat customer.
Did Steeda identify the problem? I have the same shifter and bracket and it's as you describe. It's a terrific shifter.
Old 4/17/13, 04:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Len

Did Steeda identify the problem? I have the same shifter and bracket and it's as you describe. It's a terrific shifter.
Nope they didn't. The measured the shifter with digital calipers and could not find anything out of spec. I think they said they were going to send it back to their Ga facility to have it looked at. Al I know is Matt installed the replacement and I could not be more happy with product. Steeda is first rate in my book and they have won my future business with their customer service.
Old 4/17/13, 05:00 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2013_5.0_GT
Nope they didn't. The measured the shifter with digital calipers and could not find anything out of spec. I think they said they were going to send it back to their Ga facility to have it looked at. Al I know is Matt installed the replacement and I could not be more happy with product. Steeda is first rate in my book and they have won my future business with their customer service.

They're top notch for sure
Old 4/18/13, 05:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
That's excellent!
Old 4/19/13, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Some of the 13's have a slightly different shifter box. Are the steeda shifters updated/modified for this to accomodate the oddball shifter boxes?
Old 4/20/13, 04:19 PM
V6 Member

I am not sure. I have never heard that before.
Old 6/1/13, 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
It could have been that the shifter needs to be moved all the way to the drivers side before fully tightening the four top bolts. The tolerances in the bolt holes are loose enough so that if not pushed hard left you can go into reverse without pressing down on the shifter.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/1/13 at 09:17 AM.
Old 3/9/14, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know exactly what it was. The shifter comes with two reverse lock out springs. A medium and a hard spring. I had the exact same issue and I had steeda put in the stiffer spring and the issue was fixed. The lighter spring also made me have issues going into second because it would hit the reverse gate. All issues were resolved when they put the stiffer spring in.
Old 7/30/22, 11:49 PM

I know this is old but I just installed a steeda tri ax in my 2013 after having a Ben Calimer Tage 2 mt82 done. It does not push down to go into reverse as this poster's complaint. I think maybe the lockout spring in the shifter is broke faulty or unhooked if that's possible. Car now tries to go in reverse when trying to shift into 1st gear...any help available still?
Old 7/31/22, 03:53 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,732 Posts
Unfortunately, the OP has not been active on this site in nearly 8 years.. His last activity was on 11/7/14... The person who last posted a response on this thread was last active over 6 years ago on 3/17/16...

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
I know exactly what it was. The shifter comes with two reverse lock out springs. A medium and a hard spring. I had the exact same issue and I had steeda put in the stiffer spring and the issue was fixed. The lighter spring also made me have issues going into second because it would hit the reverse gate. All issues were resolved when they put the stiffer spring in.
Old 8/2/22, 10:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Chiefkpd
I know this is old but I just installed a steeda tri ax in my 2013 ... It does not push down to go into reverse as this poster's complaint ...any help available still?
Yes Steeda is still out there and I assume they still answer the phone, you can find the number on their web site
Steeda | Ford Automotive Parts & Performance