Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda driveshaft loop hitting tunnel?

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/17, 04:43 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Steeda driveshaft loop hitting tunnel?

I installed a Steeda one piece drive shaft and safety loop on Saturday to shed a little rotating mass and quiet down some of the clunkiness of the factory two piece shaft. When I installed the top of the loop appeared to bump up against the transmission tunnel before the bolts on the front of the mount and the transmission mount snugged up. The mounting holes all lined up perfectly and the build quality looks really good so, I went ahead and tightened into place, but now I have a different clunk. It sounds like the loop is hitting the tunnel. Has anyone else had issues with the Steeda safety loop introducing new noises?
Old 5/31/17, 09:17 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Well I crawled back under the car today and removed the loop from the mounting bracket and the noise is gone. It looks like the loop was hitting up near the shifter when the engine/transmission torqued. For now I will just leave the bracket bolted to the transmission mount and the floor pan studs without the loop installed. In the event of a driveshaft failure it will at least keep the shaft from digging in, but will not keep it from tearing up the tunnel. I will contact Steeda about the fit when I get a chance.
Old 6/1/17, 07:25 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Glad you have an interim solution. Hopefully Steeda has some options for you.
Old 6/1/17, 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
please keep us updated
Old 6/1/17, 11:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, did you email me today about stopping by Valdosta?

If not, have you spoken to our tech team?

Please let me know.

TJ
Old 6/2/17, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by EF1
Well I crawled back under the car today and removed the loop from the mounting bracket and the noise is gone. It looks like the loop was hitting up near the shifter when the engine/transmission torqued. For now I will just leave the bracket bolted to the transmission mount and the floor pan studs without the loop installed. In the event of a driveshaft failure it will at least keep the shaft from digging in, but will not keep it from tearing up the tunnel. I will contact Steeda about the fit when I get a chance.
Just put one on my 2013 GT, everything clearenced fine.
Old 6/2/17, 12:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by EF1
But mine is an Auto trans.
Old 6/3/17, 09:05 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Sorry I didn't see this sooner, did you email me today about stopping by Valdosta?

If not, have you spoken to our tech team?

Please let me know.

TJ
TJ Sorry I am just updating this. I am at a NASA event at Sebring this weekend and haven't had a chance.

I emailed TJ on Thursday and he copied one of their engineers on the thread who asked some questions related to the contact and modifications to my car. I happened to be driving right by Steeda Valdosta on my way to Sebring, so we made arrangements for me to stop by and have it looked at Friday morning. He wasn't aware of any fitment issues and wanted to see what was causing it. I also wanted the pinion angle checked since I readjusted myself on jack stands and wanted to make sure I had it right. They took my car around back and put it on a lift while the director of manufacturing took me and my wife on a tour of the facility. They discovered that the contact was due to the loop hitting the aluminum heat shield that came with my MGW shifter, earlier model, not the race spec. I put the shifter in the car about 4 years ago and couldn't remember if the heat shield was part of the shifter or already on the car. Jamie, the service tech, said it was part of the MGW install and the problem. He reinstalled the loop and shimmed the mounting bracket so it wouldn't make contact. He also confirmed that the pinion angle was good. In addition, he noticed that in my haste I misaligned one of the over axle pipes on my Kook's cat back system and it was contacting a fitting on the line to my rear axle reservoir. Since I had the Steeda finned aluminum rear diff cover that was set up to vent at the top instead of the axle tube he rerouted the line for me. All of this was done as well as some good advice on setting up my car for the cost of an hours labor. No manufacturer can be expected to know how their parts will fit with every aftermarket combination out there, but Steeda stepped up and solved the problem any way. I can't say enough good about the service I have received over the last few years. This is why there are so many Steeda parts on my car. TJ please give my thanks to Brandon and Jamie for taking care of this on short notice. I thanked Jamie, but Brandon was not around when he finished up and I had to get back on the road.
The following 3 users liked this post by EF1:
Fawls (6/4/17), tj@steeda (6/4/17), tourer (6/7/17)
Old 6/4/17, 07:57 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
That sounds like a wonderful experience! And you got the facility tour as well while your car was being worked on. Glad everything worked out, and major kudos to Steeda for excellent customer service!

Im looking forward to getting more of their products on my car as well.
The following users liked this post:
tj@steeda (6/4/17)
Old 6/7/17, 09:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by EF1
TJ Sorry I am just updating this. I am at a NASA event at Sebring this weekend and haven't had a chance.

I emailed TJ on Thursday and he copied one of their engineers on the thread who asked some questions related to the contact and modifications to my car. I happened to be driving right by Steeda Valdosta on my way to Sebring, so we made arrangements for me to stop by and have it looked at Friday morning. He wasn't aware of any fitment issues and wanted to see what was causing it. I also wanted the pinion angle checked since I readjusted myself on jack stands and wanted to make sure I had it right. They took my car around back and put it on a lift while the director of manufacturing took me and my wife on a tour of the facility. They discovered that the contact was due to the loop hitting the aluminum heat shield that came with my MGW shifter, earlier model, not the race spec. I put the shifter in the car about 4 years ago and couldn't remember if the heat shield was part of the shifter or already on the car. Jamie, the service tech, said it was part of the MGW install and the problem. He reinstalled the loop and shimmed the mounting bracket so it wouldn't make contact. He also confirmed that the pinion angle was good. In addition, he noticed that in my haste I misaligned one of the over axle pipes on my Kook's cat back system and it was contacting a fitting on the line to my rear axle reservoir. Since I had the Steeda finned aluminum rear diff cover that was set up to vent at the top instead of the axle tube he rerouted the line for me. All of this was done as well as some good advice on setting up my car for the cost of an hours labor. No manufacturer can be expected to know how their parts will fit with every aftermarket combination out there, but Steeda stepped up and solved the problem any way. I can't say enough good about the service I have received over the last few years. This is why there are so many Steeda parts on my car. TJ please give my thanks to Brandon and Jamie for taking care of this on short notice. I thanked Jamie, but Brandon was not around when he finished up and I had to get back on the road.
I LOVE STEEDA! that's why everything on my Mustang is from them.
Old 6/7/17, 08:47 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

They have been great to deal with and just about everything on my car has come from them as well. It is kind of funny last year I was talking to Dario Orlando at the Track Guys/Camp Steeda event and he questioned my choice in the MGW shifter. I explained that there were only two after market parts on my car that didn't come from Steeda and asked him if he could pick out the other part that didn't come from his company. He looked under the hood and asked if it was under the car. I told him no under the hood and he couldn't pick out my red carbon fiber hydro dipped Bob's oil separator. When I pointed it out he said that it matched the car so well he didn't notice it. In the end he had the engineer he was walking through the garages with take pictures of it.