5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda CAI and 93 tune install today: The rundown

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/11, 04:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steeda CAI and 93 tune install today: The rundown

It wasn't that bad but it was no K&N FIPK install for sure. There were a few hiccups along the way. The instructions to the CAI could use some updating. I actually got everything together finally by trial & error. I am no machinist so figuring out which allen bolt went where and with what washer was a bit time consuming. The 5/8" hose that connects to the elbow for the Automatic transmissions was WAY too short. Luckily I had some 5/8 hose at home laying around. I needed about 6" of hose instead of the 2" it came with (my wife says the same thing). I could never find the second hex bolt for the dowel pins that go on the bottom of the assembly. I gave up and was going to look for another one laying around the house. I found it in the elbow for the bottom of the intake tube when I was putting that part of the kit together. I figured out the Tuner install just by following the instructions on the SCT itself (Steeda sent none with the tuner). All in all, it took about 4-5 hours.

The test drive: HOLY **** BATMAN! totally different car. Get the Steeda tune folks.

Just don't be in a hurry and expect to make a run or 2 to the parts store. If I could make any suggestions to my friends at Steeda, Slow down the packaging process and update your instructions for guys that don't do this for a living. Oh, and send instructions with the tuner. Great tune guys!

For those that only read the mod section: This is a duplicate post from the 2010+ page.
Attached Thumbnails Steeda CAI and 93 tune install today: The rundown-steedacai.jpg  
Old 5/30/11, 08:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Congrats on the install. How many miles on that hoss?
Old 5/30/11, 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Congrats on the install. How many miles on that hoss?
1,150. I changed the oil at 1,000 mi. with Mobile 1 synthetic after seating the rings hardcore. I wanted to make sure she held together before the tune. She held together after day 1.
Old 5/30/11, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

yea I installed the Steeda cai and axle backs and the SCT tune and dam you can tell the difference...
Old 5/31/11, 06:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
1,150. I changed the oil at 1,000 mi. with Mobile 1 synthetic after seating the rings hardcore. I wanted to make sure she held together before the tune. She held together after day 1.
Cool.
What's next? Tires/wheels? Exhaust?
Old 5/31/11, 12:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Cool.
What's next? Tires/wheels? Exhaust?
I like the sleeper look and sound. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the exhaust systems out there (Steeda , Borla Atak, etc) but I don't want it every day. I actually love the stock wheels; I only wish they were a bit wider (with wider tires). I will probably leave it alone for now other than borrowing a set of slicks to make a 1,320 pass.
Old 5/31/11, 12:45 PM
Cobra Member

It wasn't that bad but it was no K&N FIPK install for sure. There were a few hiccups along the way. The instructions to the CAI could use some updating. I actually got everything together finally by trial & error. I am no machinist so figuring out which allen bolt went where and with what washer was a bit time consuming. The 5/8" hose that connects to the elbow for the Automatic transmissions was WAY too short. Luckily I had some 5/8 hose at home laying around. I needed about 6" of hose instead of the 2" it came with (my wife says the same thing). I could never find the second hex bolt for the dowel pins that go on the bottom of the assembly. I gave up and was going to look for another one laying around the house. I found it in the elbow for the bottom of the intake tube when I was putting that part of the kit together. I figured out the Tuner install just by following the instructions on the SCT itself (Steeda sent none with the tuner). All in all, it took about 4-5 hours.

The test drive: HOLY **** BATMAN! totally different car. Get the Steeda tune folks.

Just don't be in a hurry and expect to make a run or 2 to the parts store. If I could make any suggestions to my friends at Steeda, Slow down the packaging process and update your instructions for guys that don't do this for a living. Oh, and send instructions with the tuner. Great tune guys!

For those that only read the mod section: This is a duplicate post from the 2010+ page.
Your feedback is going directly to my manufacturing dept.... thanks and we apologize for the inconveniences.
Old 5/31/11, 01:57 PM
GT Member

I like the sleeper look and sound. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the exhaust systems out there (Steeda , Borla Atak, etc) but I don't want it every day. I actually love the stock wheels; I only wish they were a bit wider (with wider tires). I will probably leave it alone for now other than borrowing a set of slicks to make a 1,320 pass.
GT500 Axle backs.
Mine's a daily driver. I had mine put on over a month ago, and I don't listen to the radio anymore.
Should be the stock exhaust.

Now, for your Steeda tune/CAI....
Don't bother with slicks, just make a run.
I'm very interested to see how it goes.
I was a little dissapointed in my stock dyno numbers (auto), and have yet to get a baseline run down the 1/4.
SteedaGus' CAI comparo thread showed all three of the major CAI kits putting down at least 400hp. That was on a stick, though.
I'm not sure what the numbers are for automatics.

I'd love to see my auto pull 400hp on a dyno, and lay down a high 12s 1/4 mile pass.
Old 5/31/11, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JPJr
GT500 Axle backs.
Mine's a daily driver. I had mine put on over a month ago, and I don't listen to the radio anymore.
Should be the stock exhaust.

Now, for your Steeda tune/CAI....
Don't bother with slicks, just make a run.
I'm very interested to see how it goes.
I was a little dissapointed in my stock dyno numbers (auto), and have yet to get a baseline run down the 1/4.
SteedaGus' CAI comparo thread showed all three of the major CAI kits putting down at least 400hp. That was on a stick, though.
I'm not sure what the numbers are for automatics.

I'd love to see my auto pull 400hp on a dyno, and lay down a high 12s 1/4 mile pass.
I have quite a bit of experience down the quarter mile. I live 2 miles from a track. I would love to run but these 235's will not hook up stock and especially after this tune would be a waste of an attempt in the quarter. The car would spin all the way down the track. The power is crazy and abrupt now and I'm not exagerating. I've had 10 and 11 second cars before so I know what fast is. For this to be a stock car with a tune, is insane. It really is surprising. Gus and the development crew totally did their part with this tune. With traction, this is a very low 12 second car without question. I could go to Steeda and for another bolt on or 2 hit 11's on Drag Radials no doubt (It would be da\m/n close now). The back end breaks loose going to second gear and chirps 3rd with the tune. Don't get caught up in dyno racing. I used to do that in my Ls1. I put down 465 rwhp my buddy's Ls1 put down 440. He went 11.60's and I went 11.80's. They made power different at different rpm ranges. Just use the dyno as a tool to make sure your own car is improving properly with mods (a/f ratio etc) and not to see what your car will run compared to another. Thanks for the GT500 axleback recommendation Now go get the Steeda 93 and 87 tune. You will be extremely surprised.
Old 5/31/11, 03:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Your feedback is going directly to my manufacturing dept.... thanks and we apologize for the inconveniences.
No need for apologies Gus . You do your job with competence and enthusiasm for your product. It sees when talking to you on the phone and online. We ask newbie questions and you always answer (which is the same ol s*** questions I'm certan) with eagerness and a positive can-do attitude. I will make the trip to your shop for any future modifications and I want YOU to put the wrenches on my car.
So send this to your bosses and other departments as well

Last edited by 2012GT; 5/31/11 at 04:01 PM.
Old 5/31/11, 05:58 PM
GT Member

Dang!
I've heard the auto wakes up with a tune. I
didn't realize how much!
Awesome, this is definitely on my list now.
2 minutes from a track, nice!
I'm about 90 min.

Good luck with your first run!
Old 6/7/11, 04:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JPJr
Dang!
I've heard the auto wakes up with a tune. I
didn't realize how much!
Awesome, this is definitely on my list now.
2 minutes from a track, nice!
I'm about 90 min.

Good luck with your first run!

Yea man, get the Steeda package bro. You may want to take the charmin with you. It is a MAJOR difference. What gear did you dyno your car in? Also, did they have an SCT program on the dyno to keep it from gearing down under throttle? If not, how did they do it? A local dyno shop told me that he could do it without the SCT program. I am not sold on what he told me.
Old 6/8/11, 09:26 AM
Cobra Member

No need for apologies Gus . You do your job with competence and enthusiasm for your product. It sees when talking to you on the phone and online. We ask newbie questions and you always answer (which is the same ol s*** questions I'm certan) with eagerness and a positive can-do attitude. I will make the trip to your shop for any future modifications and I want YOU to put the wrenches on my car.
So send this to your bosses and other departments as well
THanks! While I'm perfectly capable of doing the work, I'll have to leave you in my technician Matt's capable hands, as my bosses prefer me on the sales floor
Old 6/9/11, 07:48 AM

I love reading these tune reviews. Cant wait to get mine soon. I wanna get a few break in miles first since Im currently at 400-500 miles. What I would like to know about is the daily driveability. We know how these things are at WOT, but what about putting around town daily? Are the shifts firm all the time? Is the throttle extremely sensative? Just curious as this is my first performance automatic. Thanks!
Old 6/9/11, 02:44 PM
Cobra Member

CmStang, Daily drivability is fine. The shifts are firmer in town but not abrupt or annoying; it is just more firm than stock. As for throttle sensitivity, to be honest that is one thing that I have noticed the least about the tune. I can't really tell a difference but throttle response/sensitivity was never an issue for me when the car was stock. If you get the Steeda tune and CAI, I promise you will be 110% satisfied. Just do it!
Old 6/12/11, 06:26 PM
GT Member

Yea man, get the Steeda package bro. You may want to take the charmin with you. It is a MAJOR difference. What gear did you dyno your car in? Also, did they have an SCT program on the dyno to keep it from gearing down under throttle? If not, how did they do it? A local dyno shop told me that he could do it without the SCT program. I am not sold on what he told me.
He did say they had a problem with it wanting to shift into 4th, I think.
It was a dyno day, they did a car every 15 min or so.