Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Borla Exhaust for 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/11, 12:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla Exhaust for 2011 5.0

has anyone rode in the new 5.0 mustang that has either the Borla S-Type or the ATAK exhaust system? i am looking to getting onw of these, and i am leaning more toward the ATAK, but i like to listen to my in car stereo and wanted to know how much of the sounds gets drowned out with these two systems.
Old 6/3/11, 01:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Borla has a pretty good video, you can find I think on youtube or their website, letting you hear all 3 different variation in car outside behind and in front.
Old 6/3/11, 01:24 PM
V6 Member

Yeah I've seen those videos but I wanted to hear from someone who has it installed or been in a mustang with either one installed. David Borla wasn't listening to music during the videos lol.
Old 6/3/11, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

i think southern mustang parts did some youtube vids as well, they are having a conversation at cruise so you can imagine the music volume would be louder than that
Old 6/3/11, 01:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

what do you want to know exactly.. i have the s-types.. can hear my radio just fine, ( need to turn it up slightly ) highway cruise is noticeable but not annoyingly loud.. nice deep rumble at idle and when you romp on it.. nice deep troaty tone all the way through.. only drone i found was going uphill @ 2000 rpms in 6th gear and 1/4 throttle and only heard it may 3 times.. easily managable with the throttle.
after about 1000-1500 miles they really open up.. spend the money and go full cat back.. you wont be disappointed..
Old 6/3/11, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

one other thing.. videos and sound clips dont do these any justice.. they sound NOTHING like you hear in the vids.. they are 10x deeper in tone..
Old 6/3/11, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

I've got the ATAKs on my car, and I can hear the stereo just fine. At cruising speeds, the ATAKs are actually quieter than the Roush exhaust I had on the car to begin with. It is so much deeper and throatier than the Roush when you get on it.
Old 6/4/11, 12:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
I've got the ATAKs on my car, and I can hear the stereo just fine. At cruising speeds, the ATAKs are actually quieter than the Roush exhaust I had on the car to begin with. It is so much deeper and throatier than the Roush when you get on it.
awsome. i want to get the ATAKs but i wasnt sure if i would have to blast my music in the process. i'll look more into it but it looks like i'm going with the ATAKs!!!
Old 6/4/11, 01:02 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
spend the money and go full cat back.. you wont be disappointed..
and yes, definitely going to go full cat back.
Old 6/5/11, 09:33 PM
V6 Member

I have the S-Type axle backs and was just thinking today that they make about the same amount of sound as the stock mufflers do when cruising. I love them and would definitely buy them again.
Old 6/6/11, 01:35 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll go with the ATAKs, full CAT back.
Old 6/6/11, 08:18 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I understand the S-type and ATAK are the same volume, the ATAK is just more raspy. I have the s-type catback and it is pretty loud, especially when you get on it...everyone will hear you, even unwanted persons (cops). I wish I would have tried to install the x-pipe and axleback and left the resonators on to see if that would tone them down a little, but I still love the sound. Enjoy!!!
Old 6/6/11, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
what do you want to know exactly.. i have the s-types.. can hear my radio just fine, ( need to turn it up slightly ) highway cruise is noticeable but not annoyingly loud.. nice deep rumble at idle and when you romp on it.. nice deep troaty tone all the way through.. only drone i found was going uphill @ 2000 rpms in 6th gear and 1/4 throttle and only heard it may 3 times.. easily managable with the throttle.
after about 1000-1500 miles they really open up.. spend the money and go full cat back.. you wont be disappointed..
Wow...definitely the most ridiculous description about drone I have heard to date. At least your not complaining about the drone though lol.
Old 6/6/11, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Seems pretty accurate to me. Resonance when under load at a specific RPM.
Old 6/7/11, 01:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by xlover
i think southern mustang parts did some youtube vids as well, they are having a conversation at cruise so you can imagine the music volume would be louder than that
That is correct!

Music will be fine.

Ken
Old 6/8/11, 04:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by southernmustangparts
That is correct!

Music will be fine.

Ken
Well that's definitely good news. Good sounding exhaust without sacrificing interior stereo volume too much. Thanks for your input.
Old 6/11/11, 09:10 AM

I bought & installed the Borla ATAK cat-backs as soon as they became available and have never looked back. They are IMO the best sounding exhaust system I have heard for the new Mustangs and a must do modification.

I was worried about how loud they were going to be but they aren't bad at all, especially when you get up to cruising speeds on the highways you can easily carry on a conversation or listen to your favorite music.

It is such a joy to hear the ATAK sound when you get on the throttle and I love the rumble sound they make when your cruising slowly through a parking lot or in slow moving traffic. They definitely will turn some heads.
Old 6/11/11, 09:53 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have actually purchased the Touring full system. I know that is as not as load as the other two, but I love it! This is my third mustang and I have had load systems before. I was looking for something that was noticable from stock, had no drone and would wake the car up past 3,500 RPM. It does all that and is beautifully made. It's well worth the money. I know you will be happy with either system you choose. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 6/12/11, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

so the perfect 5.0 for me might have fallen into my proverbial lap. im gonna try to have an exhaust install worked into the deal, at least the labor. So my question to the borla community is which is deeper the catback or axle back for S-type?
It seems from the different vids the s-type is deeper than the ATAK, if this is wrong based on how it sounds in person please correct me.