5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Springs: Steeda Ultralite vs Steeda Sports

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/11, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Springs: Steeda Ultralite vs Steeda Sports

For street use, which spring - ultralite or sport - would you recommend and why?
  • Which spring offers the better performance of the two?
  • Which spring offers the better ride quality of the two?
Steeda Ultralite: 1.2" front lowered / 1.4" rear lowered

Steeda Sports: 1.0" front lowered / 1.25" rear lowered

Old 2/3/11, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I sell both... do you want the car lower or not? I prefer Sports myself, the balance and all is very similar, just a bit less low and a touch better riding vs. the Ultralites. I carry a lot more Sports in stock, but I also get some Ultralites in too (in fact I just ordered some for my next stocking order).
Old 2/3/11, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
I sell both... do you want the car lower or not? I prefer Sports myself, the balance and all is very similar, just a bit less low and a touch better riding vs. the Ultralites. I carry a lot more Sports in stock, but I also get some Ultralites in too (in fact I just ordered some for my next stocking order).
Lower is preferable from the two choices; as long as the performance (most important) and ride quality is not compromised compared to the Sports.

Last edited by Ivan 5.0; 2/3/11 at 11:52 AM.
Old 2/3/11, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

The ride on Ultralites isn't bad, there are many worse for that.... but they are a little firmer. I don't see any reason based on your want of the slightly greater drop to not go that way. Again, it's not like I have anything against them--that's why I carry them too.
Old 2/3/11, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've been pretty happy with my Ultra-Lites paired with Koni sports. I wanted a little lower and stiffer since I autocross my Mustang, and the ride isn't too bad either.
Old 2/3/11, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
rts. I wanted a little lower and stiffer since I autocross my Mustang, and the ride isn't too bad either.
Harsher than stock?
Old 2/4/11, 03:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ivan 5.0
Harsher than stock?
Yes, a little harsher than stock. Every car I've ever lowered with springs or coilovers (four so far) or put Konis on (three so far) has ridden a little harsher than stock, it isn't terrible though, I'm not young anymore and my wife and kids wouldn't ride in the Mustang with me if it was too bad. I'm sure my bigger sway bars, heim joint front endlinks, and Steeda panhard bar, have a little to do with some of the NVH increase as well.
Old 2/4/11, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Harsh and firm are different. The dampers are mostly responsible for harshness (there are some exceptions with certain springs). Of course you need to be aware that lowering a car, adding spring rate, and cutting travel won't do much to make the ride more cushy. But if you add a good set of shocks (with or without aftermarket springs), the harshness is generally greatly improved.... to the point that folks often say that a good matched setup including springs rides better than stock. It's not softer than stock, just less harsh than stock.
Old 2/5/11, 01:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I was challanged exactly with the same decision, Steeda Sport or Ultralites. As the car is my daily driver, ride quality was still a big issue for me, but definitely wanted it lowered.

I decided to go with the Ultralites and LOVE them! Ride quality is almost equal to stock, but handling is much better. Definitely would go with the same set-up again!

Don't forget about an Adjustable Panhard Bar to reallign the car! Not a must, but I'm glad I went with it! Not a big expense either... just my two cents!
Old 2/12/11, 08:08 PM

Sam what would u use on a 2k11 vert GT ? It is much harder to get this info it seems .I
Like the HR Sport drop spec of 1f. 1.6 rear .opinions or suggestions ? thanks
Old 2/15/11, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

You can use either... but verts are a little heavier in the rear so they sit a little lower. It's just easier to say "except convertibles". The ultralites being a little stiffer will sit more similar to Sport rears, but the fronts will drop a touch more. Sports sometimes lower the rear a little more than folks find ideal in the back. So if I had to recommend on for that particular application, I'd lean Ultralite.