Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

SPANKED by Camaro 1LE- need tire and suspension prescription to keep up

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/13, 12:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigblue11

Congrats on being an idiot! Turn car talk political.
Somebody got upset. Give me your address and I'll send you a box of tissues. I will also throw in a "take a joke" seminar for free.
Old 4/6/13, 05:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Kudos to the Chevy guys, they dismally beat the Mustang across the board. It had to happen as the Mustang was always suspension and tire limited. I came to my Boss from a series of BMWs and while it is fun to drive and faster on paper it was pretty easy to tell it was at the limit of what could be done on the suspension front. The Ford engineers are brilliant chassis tuners, so I look forward to seeing what less weight, wider tires, a lower ride height and IRS can do for the Mustang. Hate 'em or not, the ZL1 and 1LE are **** impressive.
Yes, I saw the same thing. I used to drive and track a Porsche 911 Carrera, and after I read on MT that the '11 Mustang 5.0 w/. Brembo package went head to head with a car that cost double its price, the BMW M3. I went immediately to trade my 911 for a 5.0.
The 5.0 has a great engine and steering wheel, but the suspension and small tires feel outdated. I think that this car will benefit greatly after it gets the IRS. Stock shocks are very poor. Big change after replaced with Konis.
At this time Z28, ZR1, 1LE and Corvette are on the front leading the US sport car battle.

Last edited by M3hunter; 4/6/13 at 05:27 AM.
Old 4/6/13, 06:11 AM
Cobra Member

Z28 isn't due out for another year and its already winning street races????
Old 4/6/13, 06:12 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well by class, Chevy has more to offer. They have their true sports car the Corvette, the new SS sedan, and a cery wide range of camaros. Its without a doubt though, these Camaros were the kindling needed and the 5.0 just sparked the fire. This ponycar war will only get better and better, i just hope it doesnt go the way of tree hugging though. I want raw american muscle!
Old 4/8/13, 08:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I finally was able to take out the Mustang after a long winter and go blasting down my favorite country roads over the weekend...and I feel a bit better with the realization that this thing HANDLES.

Even with the stock stocks and relatively skinny (255) tires, there is a ton of grip and great chassis response on hand.

Yeah, the 1LE is probably a better drive on the twisty roads but there's nothing wrong with a good old Mustang GT.
Old 4/8/13, 11:42 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I finally was able to take out the Mustang after a long winter and go blasting down my favorite country roads over the weekend...and I feel a bit better with the realization that this thing HANDLES.

Even with the stock stocks and relatively skinny (255) tires, there is a ton of grip and great chassis response on hand.

Yeah, the 1LE is probably a better drive on the twisty roads but there's nothing wrong with a good old Mustang GT.
I agree, took a few twisty's on my ride home yesterday, felt great at speed, my 04 was scary by comparison. When it comes to the 1LE, it should be faster, after all isn't the "answer" to the track pack? Lets see what fords answer is before we crown the camaro.

Last edited by steven46746; 4/8/13 at 11:43 AM.
Old 4/8/13, 12:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by steven46746

I agree, took a few twisty's on my ride home yesterday, felt great at speed, my 04 was scary by comparison. When it comes to the 1LE, it should be faster, after all isn't the "answer" to the track pack? Lets see what fords answer is before we crown the camaro.
Won't be an answer for this model. 2014's are already out. The Camaro wins this round in handling. Chevy has done a good job making the tank go around curves. Will have to see what Ford brings to the table for 2015. But if its under shocked and sprung and under tired again. Will just have the same result. My 98 cobra with suspension work and good shocks/struts/springs/tires will run circles around my 2012. The 2011+ do a great job considering what they are lacking. But it doesn't out handle the 1LE/ZL1/Z28 for now
Old 4/8/13, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Knowing Ford though they'll slap 225's all around....smh! I couldn't figure out for the life of me why my car had 245's.
Old 4/8/13, 05:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Knowing Ford though they'll slap 225's all around....smh! I couldn't figure out for the life of me why my car had 245's.
Lol...true
Old 4/9/13, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter

Yes, I saw the same thing. I used to drive and track a Porsche 911 Carrera, and after I read on MT that the '11 Mustang 5.0 w/. Brembo package went head to head with a car that cost double its price, the BMW M3. I went immediately to trade my 911 for a 5.0.
The 5.0 has a great engine and steering wheel, but the suspension and small tires feel outdated. I think that this car will benefit greatly after it gets the IRS. Stock shocks are very poor. Big change after replaced with Konis.
At this time Z28, ZR1, 1LE and Corvette are on the front leading the US sport car battle.
Why would you trade in a 911 carrera? Unless you a really old one, the 5.0 isn't in the same league.
Old 4/9/13, 11:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gotta cut costs somewhere...
Old 4/10/13, 10:56 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Mustang and Camaro are both great cars but that butt *** ugly dash and steering wheel on the Camaro make me run toward the Mustang.. I wouldn't care if it had 100 extra hp for the same price..
Old 4/10/13, 09:34 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by blairnr67

Gotta cut costs somewhere...
Well they know that were gonna end up buying beefier tires anyway, well most of us at least. Why make us go thērough the trouble of paying just to get some solid traction with these high power pony cars. Especially the GT500!
I mean, look at the vettes, they have 315's out back from the factory! Even the ZL1 has 305 IIRC
Old 4/10/13, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CCTking

Well they know that were gonna end up buying beefier tires anyway, well most of us at least. Why make us go thērough the trouble of paying just to get some solid traction with these high power pony cars. Especially the GT500!
I mean, look at the vettes, they have 315's out back from the factory! Even the ZL1 has 305 IIRC
Those are vettes and high end Camaros. What's on the SS camaro?
Old 4/10/13, 11:09 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
---
Base Corvette has 245/40 18 Front, and 285/35 19 Rear...Base model is their highest-volume Corvette (Grand Sport, Z06, & ZR1 have larger wheels/tires..but are sold in smaller numbers). Both Boss and GT500 have larger wheels/tires than Base Corvette. However, point taken, Mustang must come with more rubber from FoMoCo in the future. It's one of the first mods that most of us do.
Old 4/10/13, 11:14 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Base Corvette has 245/40 18 Front, and 285/35 19 Rear...Base model is their highest-volume Corvette (Grand Sport, Z06, & ZR1 have larger wheels/tires..but are sold in smaller numbers). Both Boss and GT500 have larger wheels/tires than Base Corvette. However, point taken, Mustang must come with more rubber from FoMoCo in the future. It's one of the first mods that most of us do.
Yea i knew the tire sizes changed with certain models but as you picked up my point was that Mustangs gotta have a lil more rubber at least 285 rear for the 5.0.

I cant wait to see how the mustang handles after the IRS comes standard. Fords already worked the SRA into a mechanical marvel at how well the car handles even through twistyʻs and bumpier roads
Old 4/12/13, 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
Why would you trade in a 911 carrera? Unless you a really old one, the 5.0 isn't in the same league.
That's correct they aren't. It was an '02 model, that I used on the weekend and also track it in my local PCA. Handling was great, but you needed to adapt to the heavy rear weight handling on the track, very different to front engine or mid engine cars. I got tired of paying very big maintenance bills, even that the car really looked great. Probably a good replacement was a C6 Corvette, but I need the back seat for my kids. So after I read that article of the '11 5.0 VS the BMW M3, I really was amazed with the great performance of the '11 Mustang GT with the track package at half the cost of the M3 & same performance. Immediately went and traded my 911. And after I did it, never looked back, since the 5.0 is great, now I'm very tempted to replace my car for a great handling Camaro 1LE, unless I find a way to match or beat that 1LE handling with my 5.0. I already installed KONI's STRT & Steeda Sport springs, recommended by Sam Strano, and really what a big change they made to the weak stock shocks, big improvement (also installed 275/40 R19 Michelin Pilot SS rears to my stock 19x9 wheels, very sticky tires almost like glued to the floor) .
Now if I just could get rid of that ugly body roll that characterize stock Mustangs. That will be great, at this time I don't worry on improving the 5.0 engine, because of warranty issues, and because it's a very strong engine with lots of juice. At my local track that I some times go, is short, not many straights, I need to worry more to improving the handling part, the ones to beat are Porsches
What do you all recommend?

Last edited by M3hunter; 4/12/13 at 07:56 AM.
Old 4/13/13, 01:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's correct they aren't. It was an '02 model, that I used on the weekend and also track it in my local PCA. Handling was great, but you needed to adapt to the heavy rear weight handling on the track, very different to front engine or mid engine cars. I got tired of paying very big maintenance bills, even that the car really looked great. Probably a good replacement was a C6 Corvette, but I need the back seat for my kids. So after I read that article of the '11 5.0 VS the BMW M3, I really was amazed with the great performance of the '11 Mustang GT with the track package at half the cost of the M3 & same performance. Immediately went and traded my 911. And after I did it, never looked back, since the 5.0 is great, now I'm very tempted to replace my car for a great handling Camaro 1LE, unless I find a way to match or beat that 1LE handling with my 5.0. I already installed KONI's STRT & Steeda Sport springs, recommended by Sam Strano, and really what a big change they made to the weak stock shocks, big improvement (also installed 275/40 R19 Michelin Pilot SS rears to my stock 19x9 wheels, very sticky tires almost like glued to the floor) .
Now if I just could get rid of that ugly body roll that characterize stock Mustangs. That will be great, at this time I don't worry on improving the 5.0 engine, because of warranty issues, and because it's a very strong engine with lots of juice. At my local track that I some times go, is short, not many straights, I need to worry more to improving the handling part, the ones to beat are Porsches
What do you all recommend?
You weren't completely happy with a Porsche, and you're not completely happy with the 5.0. AND your thinking of trading for a camaro. I'd recommend trading it in for a civic and try that on for size because you obviously have no clue what you want.
Old 4/13/13, 01:52 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I already installed KONI's STRT & Steeda Sport springs, recommended by Sam Strano, and really what a big change they made to the weak stock shocks, big improvement (also installed 275/40 R19 Michelin Pilot SS rears to my stock 19x9 wheels, very sticky tires almost like glued to the floor). Now if I just could get rid of that ugly body roll that characterize stock Mustangs.
---
I track a few times per year with the local PCA, what a great bunch to race with. My suggestions...
* new front and rear sways with upgraded bushings, preferably adjustable.
* a wider wheel/tire package for the rear, maybe 10" wide, with 285 or 295.
* I'm assuming you have a front-strut-tower-brace in the engine bay, if not, get one.
With your already upgraded shocks and springs, your body roll will be gone, my friend.
Old 4/13/13, 12:25 PM

Chevy = bailout.. Nuff for me never too buy one. Not to bring politics into this, but anything obummer is bailing out, or involved with is bound to Be screwed up.. Lol

Quick Reply: SPANKED by Camaro 1LE- need tire and suspension prescription to keep up