The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   5.0L GT Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/)
-   -   SPANKED by Camaro 1LE- need tire and suspension prescription to keep up (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/spanked-camaro-1le-need-tire-suspension-prescription-keep-up-517433/)

conv_stang 7/18/13 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dan S. (Post 6658622)
hmmmm...so is the general consensus that the stock Pirelli tires suck? I keep hearing bad opinions of them. I always thought Pirelli's were a premium brand. I'm guessing Ford went with the cheapest Pirelli tire. Mine seem to be ok. Granted, I can't take off at full throttle, but I think that also has to do with the width of the tires. 255's are pretty weak.

Weren't you able to fit a 305 or bigger tire on the 10'' wheel? Was this a cost issue?

The Pirelli's aren't horrible unless you get the all seasons. The main issue is 420/390 and trying to hook with 245/45/19 or 255/46/19. If for went with stock GT500 size on the GT I think it would be an improvement. 305 is kinda wide for a 10" wheel. Calls for a 10.5".

MARZ 7/20/13 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dan S. (Post 6658622)
hmmmm...so is the general consensus that the stock Pirelli tires suck? I keep hearing bad opinions of them. I always thought Pirelli's were a premium brand. I'm guessing Ford went with the cheapest Pirelli tire. Mine seem to be ok. Granted, I can't take off at full throttle, but I think that also has to do with the width of the tires. 255's are pretty weak.

Weren't you able to fit a 305 or bigger tire on the 10'' wheel? Was this a cost issue?

Hey Dan, I don't think the Pirelli tires sucked as much as they were way undersized for a V8-powered muscle car producing in excess of 412 horsepower and 390 lb-ft of torque. Further, though I now have 2013 Shelby GT500 six-piston Brembo brakes installed, my Mustang was (is?) a non-Brembo package car meaning I had 18" wheels with, if I remember correctly, 245's all the way around.

In regards to 305's in the rear on 19" wheels, I honestly never looked into it. Instead, I opted to emulate the wheel and tire sizes found on a Boss Laguna Seca. Thus far, it's worked out very well for me.

Coyote5-0 7/20/13 10:00 PM

I'm pretty sure mine are the high performance summer tires.

PJRManagement 7/22/13 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dan S. (Post 6657704)
How much will it cost to have all the suspension done at a Ford dealer? I still don't think you could do all this for $5k.

---
Dan, suspension install was included in my prices/costs in my original posts, go back and read. $250 by local Ford dealer to install my Eibach kit - springs, shocks, & sways, including front alignment. What's very strange to me is that I've listed ALL costs for ALL upgrades, and you still are skeptical. Well, so be it. My car runs great on the track now, is still my daily driver, and I did it all for less than $5k. You can try to pick apart my facts, but you will fail.

Coyote5-0 7/23/13 07:39 PM

I was just playing devil's advocate.

DarrenGT 7/23/13 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by PJRManagement (Post 6655501)
---
Warranty issues...good question. Changing wheels/tires will not void any part of your warranty (so says my Ford dealer), unless you use sizes that fall out of range with the original specs. Brake kit is Ford Racing, direct OEM replacment/upgrade, does not void any part of the warranty. And comes with it's own warranty, too. Suspension upgrade only requires front-alignment, and with that, will not void any part of the warranty. And comes with it's own warranty, too. And...if you go Ford Racing instead of Eibach, you can get that equipment warranty to go along with your 3/36 vehicle warranty, if you have Ford install it. This information is all from my Ford dealer.
Look, bottom line is if you want to spend some money on these simple mods, you can literally transform the track performance of your GT. We can go back-and-forth all day. I respect your opinions, but IMO I am correct here.

I am hoping to upgrade my susp, brakes and wheels/rubber for under 5k. So far: (Brand New)
Forged Ford Racing Wheels (9"/10") Brand new $1250 (good deal from a fellow member)
Brand New Nitto Invo's 275's and 285's $1200 installed on above wheels. So that leaves $2550 for brakes and susp. Hmm let's see if i can get there by end of the year lol
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...psb5726211.jpg

PJRManagement 7/24/13 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by DarrenGT (Post 6661580)
I am hoping to upgrade my susp, brakes and wheels/rubber for under 5k. So far: (Brand New)
Forged Ford Racing Wheels (9"/10") Brand new $1250 (good deal from a fellow member)
Brand New Nitto Invo's 275's and 285's $1200 installed on above wheels. So that leaves $2550 for brakes and susp. Hmm let's see if i can get there by end of the year lol

---
Great picture, Darren. I'm sure you will get your brake & suspension mods for under $2500. Take a look at the Ford Racing SVT Brembo upgrade package, I have it, and you can't beat it for the money. I have the exact same wheels as you, also purchased from a fellow TMS member. But I run 255 & 285. Next set I'm thinking 265 & 295. I see you went 275 & 285. Are those 275s on the 9" front wheel too wide?

DarrenGT 7/24/13 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by PJRManagement (Post 6661622)
---
Great picture, Darren. I'm sure you will get your brake & suspension mods for under $2500. Take a look at the Ford Racing SVT Brembo upgrade package, I have it, and you can't beat it for the money. I have the exact same wheels as you, also purchased from a fellow TMS member. But I run 255 & 285. Next set I'm thinking 265 & 295. I see you went 275 & 285. Are those 275s on the 9" front wheel too wide?

actually, no the 275's are almost not wide enough for the front. i'm always worried about rashing the rims. could have gone 285's up front too maybe.

Coyote5-0 7/24/13 04:48 PM

can you post a low picture from the rear so I can see what the 285's look like?