The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   5.0L GT Modifications (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/)
-   -   SPANKED by Camaro 1LE- need tire and suspension prescription to keep up (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/spanked-camaro-1le-need-tire-suspension-prescription-keep-up-517433/)

Coyote5-0 7/10/13 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by PJRManagement (Post 6527359)
, suspension, wheels/tires, & brake upgrades (less than $5k), no 1LE will lose me and my 11GT on the track.

Woah bro...don't you think you're being a bit generous there? You can't do all that for less than $5k, unless you really cheap out on the wheels...

conv_stang 7/10/13 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dan S. (Post 6654882)
Woah bro...don't you think you're being a bit generous there? You can't do all that for less than $5k, unless you really cheap out on the wheels...

Replica wheels yeah you probably could for close to the $5000 in parts. But a nice set of forged wheels no way

PJRManagement 7/10/13 11:48 PM

[QUOTE=Originally Posted by PJRManagement
suspension, wheels/tires, & brake upgrades (less than $5k), no 1LE will lose me and my 11GT on the track.[/QUOTE]
---

Originally Posted by Dan S. (Post 6654882)

---

Originally Posted by conv_stang (Post 6654884)
Replica wheels yeah you probably could for close to the $5000 in parts. But a nice set of forged wheels no way

---
Hello Dan & Nick. Since you asked...see my sig for my mods, nothing replica or cheap. You can also view this stuff on my TMS Profile and My Garage. Here's my breakdown for you gentlemen:
* Suspension - New Eibach Pro-System-Plus-Kit (springs, dampers, sway bars), $950 + $250 install = $1200. MINUS $300 sold originals, net = $900.
* Wheel/tires - Used Ford Racing forged SVTPP wheels, 19x9 with 255/40 Front, 19x10 with 285/35 Rear. With TPMS and metal valve stems, mounted and balanced, with Conti Extreme DW tires with over 60% tread left. Wheels are 98% mint, look brand new. Purchased from a TMS user on this website for $1350, delivered to my door. Install = $0. MINUS $850 sold originals, net = $500.
* Brakes - New Ford Racing SVT 14" front brakes with Brembo 4-piston fixed calipers, SVT pads front & rear, Goodridge steel lines front & rear, $1100 + $150 install (with change to DOT 4 fluid) = $1250. MINUS $60 sold originals, net = $1190.
$3800 cost (gross), WAY LESS THAN $5K. Plus I sold my originals, so you can take off $1200 (net). Sell your original parts to help pay for your mods = PRICELESS. Please allow me to repeat..."suspension, wheels/tires, & brake upgrades (less than $5k), no 1LE will lose me and my 11GT on the track". Thanks for coming.

conv_stang 7/11/13 05:31 AM

Nice

Coyote5-0 7/11/13 01:11 PM

Dude...USED tires and wheels do not count!! I do respect how cost effective everything was, but the Camaro comes with new wheels and tires, and not everyone will have access to good deals on used stuff. Just trying to keep an unbiased view...

tom281 7/11/13 01:20 PM

Sure they do..... As soon as you drive the 1LE off the lot, you're driving on used wheels and tires. :D

PJRManagement 7/11/13 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dan S. (Post 6655359)
Dude...USED tires and wheels do not count!! I do respect how cost effective everything was, but the Camaro comes with new wheels and tires, and not everyone will have access to good deals on used stuff. Just trying to keep an unbiased view...

---
Dan - You doubted how much I spent and what I got. I just showed you what my track upgrades were and how much they cost. $3800 gross, and $2600 net (selling originals). Now you don't like how I got there - you are hard to please. $5k will get you wheels/tires, suspension, and brakes. All great upgrades. The wheels I got may have been used (you could not tell), but they are FORD RACING FORGED SVTPP, some of the best available for the Mustang at any price. You want new wheels/tires? Then add another $2k to my $2600, and your STILL UNDER $5k. Also, anyone with access to the internet has 'access to good deals on used stuff'.
And...I'm not dissing the 1LE. If you go back into this thread you'll see I have good things to say about it. I might have considered one if it was available in 2011, but it wasn't. The 1LE is a terrific car, similar to the Boss. Great on the track. I'm just letting other GT owners know that for $5k they can have their GT be competitive on the track with the 1LE, that's all.

Coyote5-0 7/11/13 02:57 PM

I meant access to good deals as in those deals come and go and aren't always available. Usually you have wait around a while to catch a good deal. And what about voiding your warranty for those various parts after installing them? That's something to think about too.

I'm playing devil's advocate here though...

PJRManagement 7/11/13 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dan S. (Post 6655426)
I meant access to good deals as in those deals come and go and aren't always available. Usually you have wait around a while to catch a good deal. And what about voiding your warranty for those various parts after installing them? That's something to think about too.

---
Warranty issues...good question. Changing wheels/tires will not void any part of your warranty (so says my Ford dealer), unless you use sizes that fall out of range with the original specs. Brake kit is Ford Racing, direct OEM replacment/upgrade, does not void any part of the warranty. And comes with it's own warranty, too. Suspension upgrade only requires front-alignment, and with that, will not void any part of the warranty. And comes with it's own warranty, too. And...if you go Ford Racing instead of Eibach, you can get that equipment warranty to go along with your 3/36 vehicle warranty, if you have Ford install it. This information is all from my Ford dealer.
Look, bottom line is if you want to spend some money on these simple mods, you can literally transform the track performance of your GT. We can go back-and-forth all day. I respect your opinions, but IMO I am correct here.

linelock 7/12/13 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dan S. (Post 6655426)

I believe taking either your Mustang or Camaro to the track will void your warranty.

PJRManagement 7/12/13 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by linelock (Post 6655801)
I believe taking either your Mustang or Camaro to the track will void your warranty.

---
That is not correct, Grant. If you make NO modifications to the powertrain, the Ford warranty is good for all types of driving on paved roads.

Rather B.Blown 7/12/13 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by PJRManagement (Post 6656017)
---
That is not correct, Grant. If you make NO modifications to the powertrain, the Ford warranty is good for all types of driving on paved roads.

You need to reread your warranty.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED
WARRANTY?
Damage Caused By:

accidents, collision or objects striking the vehicle (including driving
through a car wash)

theft, vandalism, or riot

fire or explosion

using contaminated or improper fuel/fluids

customer-applied chemicals or accidental spills

driving through water deep enough to cause water to be ingested into
the engine

misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or
using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source

PJRManagement 7/13/13 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by PJRManagement https://themustangsource.com/images/...s/viewpost.gif
---

---

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown (Post 6656063)
You need to reread your warranty.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED
WARRANTY?
Damage Caused By:
misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or
using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source

---
That is not entirely accurate. By that I mean this...the definition you are referring to in the owner's manual is DAMAGE CAUSED by racing. To be interpreted as this...if you bust a headlight racing, it is not covered. If you blow a tire racing, it is not covered. If you curb a wheel racing, it is not covered. If you damage a grill racing, it is not covered. HOWEVER...if your drivetrain breaks during racing (motor, transmission), then YOU ARE COVERED, period. This is a fact. However, any modifications made to the drivetrain by the owner that are not specifically installed and warrantied by Ford are not covered (tune, gears, etc.). How do I know this? Because my dealership has installed several of my mods (when it's above my limited mechanical skill-set), and the Managers and I have had this specific discussion. They are proud to assure me that my drivetrain is completely covered under the Ford warranty, even if I track my car.

Stevedotmil 7/14/13 12:50 AM

So in fact the sky is not falling is what you are saying then?

Coyote5-0 7/16/13 10:44 AM

The sky is indeed falling. lol

How much will it cost to have all the suspension done at a Ford dealer? I still don't think you could do all this for $5k. And I don't necessarily mean warranty on the parts. Ford could deny progressive damages such as squeaks and rattles. I could imagine them denying coverage for interior rattles due to the very stiff suspension you had installed. Its little things like that. Still playing devil's advocate...a very very ancient form of trolling, but these are all valid points I am making.

uncle phil 7/16/13 06:49 PM

Since I only race in a straight line Id love to line up beside a 1le camaro to see how things shape out. Bone stock 13 gt a6 12.26@115.31.

MARZ 7/16/13 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dan S. (Post 6657704)
The sky is indeed falling. lol

How much will it cost to have all the suspension done at a Ford dealer? I still don't think you could do all this for $5k. And I don't necessarily mean warranty on the parts. Ford could deny progressive damages such as squeaks and rattles. I could imagine them denying coverage for interior rattles due to the very stiff suspension you had installed. Its little things like that. Still playing devil's advocate...a very very ancient form of trolling, but these are all valid points I am making.

Speaking from experience, there is a lot that can be done to our cars for $5,000. Horsepower isn't really a primary concern with a potent Coyote under the hood; addressing the soft OEM suspension, these are the parts I ordered and installed on my 2011 5.0L initially:

Forgestar 19" wheels - $1,800
Kumho Ecsta SPT tires - $900
FRPP 1" lowering springs - $200
Eibach front and rear sway bars - $375
Koni STR.T shocks and struts - $360
FRPP lower control arms - $190
Steeda HD upper strut mounts - $350
BMR panhard bar and brace - $270

And the total for a totally transformed Mustang? Just over $4,400. One could go with FRPP / GT500 upper strut mounts for a cost savings. Further, like PJRManagement, I made some money back on selling some of the OEM pieces.

While I have since swapped out some of the above parts and added a few new pieces, my car was a completely different animal while running the aforementioned equipment. It was amazing.

Coyote5-0 7/17/13 11:35 AM

nice, how do you like the Kumho Ecsta's? What tires came stock? What size are you running?

MARZ 7/17/13 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dan S. (Post 6658229)
nice, how do you like the Kumho Ecsta's? What tires came stock? What size are you running?

Hey Dan, for the price, the Kumho Ecsta SPT's are great tires. My 2011 Mustang GT is a daily driver first, so longevity, wet handling, noise and cost were primary considerations when choosing what to wrap my Forgestars in. That said, the Ecsta SPT's handle very well and were a huge upgrade over my stock Pirelli tires. My front wheels`1 are 19x9's shod in 255/40 rubber; the rears are 19x10's with 285/35's.

I think my next set of tires, though, are going to be Michelin Pilot Super Sports; of course, they command a premium over the Kumhos. :)

Coyote5-0 7/18/13 07:42 AM

hmmmm...so is the general consensus that the stock Pirelli tires suck? I keep hearing bad opinions of them. I always thought Pirelli's were a premium brand. I'm guessing Ford went with the cheapest Pirelli tire. Mine seem to be ok. Granted, I can't take off at full throttle, but I think that also has to do with the width of the tires. 255's are pretty weak.

Weren't you able to fit a 305 or bigger tire on the 10'' wheel? Was this a cost issue?