5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Which Shocks/Struts???

Search this Thread

Old 1/21/11, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Shocks/Struts???

Hey folks,

I have decided, I need at least Eibach Sportlines to acomplish my goals in terms of lowering height.

I know a lot of people suggest against it, but my mind is made up.

I know that the ride is going to be crazy rough, but a lot of people say that the best way to allevaite at least some of the crazy harshness is to go with an aftermarket set of Shocks/Struts.

The question is... which ones do I go with? The car will be 100% street driven. It will never see a track, either road course or drag strip.

So my main goal is to get back as much daily driver ability as I can, (though i understand it may not be much) - for as cheap as I can.

Koni STR-T's are the cheapest that I've seen but dont know how they compare to Tokico D-Specs... Or the higher up Koni Dampers..

What do you guys suggest, and why?
Old 1/21/11, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

Let me offer a piece of advice, this is the internet.... While there is good information to be had, there is lots of bad too, and information based on nothing very concrete either.

Given your budget, and the springs you insist on running, the D-specs would be the choice...and I do them with no shipping, and no tax (unless you are in PA, but then we might able to work soemthing out).
Old 1/21/11, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Not talking to a wall man, I just asked in two different forums to get information in each, this was posted before your reply.

But your point is made loud and clear and I understand, D-Specs it is.
Old 1/21/11, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not to be to blunt, but what kind of magical information do you think you'll gather from a bunch of folks you don't know, that often ask the very same questions, who next to none have run more than one damper (usually stock) and those that have generally haven't run anything but what they picked?

Aside from my background, and the fact that unlike other shops I sell all these brands. I've also personally used them all too. I hate to be sound bad, and if it does I'm sorry, but it's like asking people who wear cross-trainers to ask what basketball shoe to wear.

Most just don't have experience with much variety... and if they have changed dampers, they are still limited to only what they've run.

Look, I can't compare say different engine tunes, I haven't run that many, but some here have--and the information gained there would be good. But that's not the case with supsension, most haven't done this work. I have.
Old 1/21/11, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

And I respect your opinion. I just feel bad PMing you and only you every time I have a question in regards to it.

Granted most dont have experience with all brands and setups in question, but again, I didn't feel right contacting you every time I had a random thought in my head that I may have wanted an opinion on.

Also if I recall, I posted this question here before you answered me on the other forum.

I wasn't discounting or ignoring your opinion.

Either way, sincerely, thanks for your input and I do appreciate your advice. You will be the one I bug every time I have a suspension question from now on lol

Last edited by starbai; 1/21/11 at 05:01 PM.
Old 1/21/11, 10:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
Most just don't have experience with much variety... and if they have changed dampers, they are still limited to only what they've run.

Look, I can't compare say different engine tunes, I haven't run that many, but some here have--and the information gained there would be good. But that's not the case with supsension, most haven't done this work. I have.
Actually that makes a lot of sense! Most of the folks here can give you a great opinion on a damper mod they have on their own car, but have no experience driving with some other damper mod.

So that said, suppose someone wanted to follow up on pro driver Randy Pobst's advice from the Motor Trend test where he compared a Mustang GT to an M3? His advice was that the stock GT shocks control the car great with bumps and hard cornering up to about 80 mph, but faster than that and the car becomes a wild ride. He suggested that better shocks would fix the car so that it actually could become an M3-beater.

What mods would you suggest to follow Pobst's advice?

Edit: I guess the goal would be to keep the car as comfortable and practical as it is at being a daily driver, while setting it up for the occasional track day.

Edit #2: Argghh. I see now that all of this has already been answered in the thread titled "Why shocks matter..." My apologies! For my purposes, i.e. daily driver and once per year track car, the Koni SRT.T shocks look like a nice upgrade

Last edited by wjones14; 1/22/11 at 08:57 PM.
Old 1/22/11, 04:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sam strano
I feel like I'm talking to a wall.

Let me offer a piece of advice, this is the internet.... While there is good information to be had, there is lots of bad too, and information based on nothing very concrete either.

Given your budget, and the springs you insist on running, the D-specs would be the choice...and I do them with no shipping, and no tax (unless you are in PA, but then we might able to work soemthing out).
Doesnt it have to do with valving? Like, the STR.T's would be too compressed to properly work on a car lowered to that height, something like that.

Sam, would the adjustable dampers be running into the same problem, too much compression at that height, anyways? Or since they are adjustable, do they operate with a different strategy, working at any height?

Last edited by Digital_Synapse; 1/22/11 at 04:25 AM.
Old 1/24/11, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Adjustables don't give you more travel... they allow you to turn the damping up so that you get the damping job done in the lesser amount of travel.

Shocks aren't about valving, they are about travel, working well with the spring rate being used too. The valving you want is based on the other two.
Old 1/30/11, 03:31 PM
V6 Member

Don't forget you have to purchase upper front strut mounts from 2010 or earlier when you go after-market or FRPP front struts.

Cheers.
Old 1/31/11, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

I was able to get the perfect balance of looks and function with my set up.My ride is still comfortable and the handling is awesome.The Eibach Pro kit springs give a nice drop and work well with the Koni STR.T

now I also have Maximum motorsports camber/caster plates and UPR adjustable UCA and mount with billet LCA's,MM panhard bar,BMR panhard brace.

It's really about what you plan to do with your car,I love driving in the canyons and set my car up for it but I can still hit the drag strip if I get the itch