Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Shifter bracket

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/13, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter bracket

Hi;

I have a 2012 gt with the mt82. I absolutly love the trans, with 3.73 the gear ratios are perfect for a high revving small block like this.

However I have notice I get locked out of 3rd when really giving it beans. This does not happen often but I feel there is some slop on this thing that may need to be addressed.

First of im not interested in doing a shifter change, I find the stock shifter rather nice as far as throws are concerned.

I really dont want to do the barton two post shifter bracket as solidly mounting a component that is suposed to have some flex is not my idea of fun. The car is civilised when I want it to and its a beast when I need it.

Keeping with the spirit of this. I find it amusing that the price of a bracket is anywhere between 60bux to 105.....

Now I have eliminated the two post shifter bracket im left with the following 3 examples.

The seeda shifter bracket. Retails about 80bux but it looks like its bonded urathane bushing. Not 100% sure on bonded metal to poly in an open u shape.

The barton regular bracket, with a bushing that is removable.

The AM version of the barton. for about 5 bux cheaper.

Anyone owned either of these? Do they live up to expectations as far as a remedy to possible lockouts on hard upshifts?

Secondly how is the noise compared to stock? I really don't want to turn this thing into a noisy car because I want to bang gears once in a blue moon....

Any real world advice? No hearsay, or reviews here. Just personal experience. Its hard enough to read reviews and thoughts on forums without adding a gigantic grain of salt...

Old 10/14/13, 01:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have the steeda bracket and it cured the issue for me. I have the quieter bushing installed. If the car is off and your door is open, there is a noticeable amount of noise. If you turn in your engine, you can't hear any of the noise.

I am very happy with car. The bracket works well.
Old 10/14/13, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I have the steeda bracket and it cured the issue for me. I have the quieter bushing installed. If the car is off and your door is open, there is a noticeable amount of noise. If you turn in your engine, you can't hear any of the noise.

I am very happy with car. The bracket works well.
The mechanical noise while the engine is off is understandable. It happens on all cars.

Something to consider then.
Old 10/14/13, 02:30 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,227 Posts
See this thread and order yourself a short throw MGW and call your shifting woes a day. Mine is on order along with a Roush GHIG shifter ball.
https://themustangsource.com/f800/mgw-its-way-525283/
Old 10/14/13, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to retain the stock shifter but cure the lockout of third under high rpm's consider the Energy Suspension bushing. It's less than $10 and install is easy as long as you have a 10mm deep well socket and enough ratchet extensions to reach. It's not the MGW, but it will fix the lockout.

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.c...asp?prod=61612
Old 10/14/13, 10:07 PM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
Hi;

The seeda shifter bracket. Retails about 80bux but it looks like its bonded urathane bushing. Not 100% sure on bonded metal to poly in an open u shape.
Not sure you what you mean by bonded. The Steeda bracket comes with two bushings which are interchangeable. I'm using the black bushing which is the harder one. NVH is minimal and the second to third shift is firm and precise - no missed shifts. I installed the Steeda shifter at the same time so I can't tell you how much of the improvement came from the bushing alone but from what I've read in the forums it makes a big difference with the stock shifter.
Old 10/15/13, 07:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
It's not the MGW, but it will fix the lockout.

Nope, will minimize it but that bushing isn't enough. The two post is the best you can do without going MGW. I removed the SR Shifter and Steeda bracket for an MGW...
Old 10/15/13, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you want to retain the stock shifter but cure the lockout of third under high rpm's consider the Energy Suspension bushing. It's less than $10 and install is easy as long as you have a 10mm deep well socket and enough ratchet extensions to reach. It's not the MGW, but it will fix the lockout.

I have installed this bushing on mine and it has really improved the shifter precision and response.

For the price it's an easy fix
Old 10/15/13, 07:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

i put the regular barton one and it fixed the 3rd lockout for me. it did make it a little louder but not much. its sooo much easier to shift now.
Old 10/15/13, 07:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Our Steeda bracket is one of our most popular parts:

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-m...hing-555-7090/

We design, engineer, and manufacture our parts in house ... made right here in the U.S.A.

You will have 0 issues with our bracket.

I had a performance shop upgrade my entire suspension for my 2011 Mustang GT...along with the suspension components, they highly recommended that the Steeda Mustang Shifter Base Bushing was a must. I agreed and am so glad I had them install it (went with the black bushing). Nothing bu nice, clean shifts compared to the stock part. Now I know why it was so highly recommended!!!
had put on the triaxe shifter and loved how it in proved the feel and precise shifting but this peace made it even better I used the red insert and didnt notice any sound makes the whole thing seam so much better thanks steeda
Let me know if I can help assist with anything .. you can reach me at tim@steeda.com.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 10/17/13, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the tri ax and shifter bracket. I do notice more transmission noise especially in 1-2 gears. My biggest issue is how much effort it takes to shift from 1-2. Sometimes I get locked out of second. Im hoping that I just need to get used to it, but I hope the 1-2 shifts gets easier with time.
Old 10/18/13, 02:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Barton 2 post solved my problems.
Old 10/19/13, 08:18 AM
Len
GT Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
I have the tri ax and shifter bracket. I do notice more transmission noise especially in 1-2 gears. My biggest issue is how much effort it takes to shift from 1-2. Sometimes I get locked out of second. Im hoping that I just need to get used to it, but I hope the 1-2 shifts gets easier with time.
I don't have that problem with mine - it shifts perfectly. Assuming you don't have a transmission or clutch issue maybe the shifter is hitting the reverse lockout tab and needs to be realigned. The following is from the installation instructions.

"Note: Before final tightening of the bolts, make sure the shifter goes into all gears. Due to tolerances in the factory shifter base, the Tri-Ax shifter may need to be adjusted very slightly left or right. The flat face on the upper lever reverse lockout ear is to just touch, or almost touch the boss on the side of the shifter base when in first and second gear."
Old 10/25/13, 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Len

I don't have that problem with mine - it shifts perfectly. Assuming you don't have a transmission or clutch issue maybe the shifter is hitting the reverse lockout tab and needs to be realigned. The following is from the installation instructions.

"Note: Before final tightening of the bolts, make sure the shifter goes into all gears. Due to tolerances in the factory shifter base, the Tri-Ax shifter may need to be adjusted very slightly left or right. The flat face on the upper lever reverse lockout ear is to just touch, or almost touch the boss on the side of the shifter base when in first and second gear."
I think it is hitting. And its because of the softer reverse spring. I tend to press down slightly when I shift. Im installing a stiffer reverse lock out spring and I think it'll help with this.
Old 11/10/13, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just an update. A stiffer reverse lock out spring solved my 1-2 shift issues. It was hitting the reverse lock out.
Old 11/12/13, 09:25 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

If you want to retain the stock shifter but cure the lockout of third under high rpm's consider the Energy Suspension bushing. It's less than $10 and install is easy as long as you have a 10mm deep well socket and enough ratchet extensions to reach. It's not the MGW, but it will fix the lockout. http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.c...asp?prod=61612
I stuck with the stock shifter for 30k. The bushings will help a little. But won't cure all the quirks. I finally broke down and did the MGW. once you pull the factory shifter and see zip ties holding stuff together it's comical. The throws on the MGW are shorter. But the difference it makes is amazing. There's no more cold shifting issues, no bind what so ever. And the MGW is quieter and vibrates less than the stock one. $400 isn't cheap...but in the end I enjoy this over all the other mods I've done.
Old 11/12/13, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

My lockout wasn't fixed by the Steeda bracket - it took the Whiteline trans mount insert to fix it. Having said that, the racket goes a long ways towards improving shifter performance.

Last edited by fdesalvo; 11/12/13 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11/12/13, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

The OEM shifter bracket is strictly designed to reduce NVH; any replacement will introduce noise and harshness.

I have the 2 post bracket and it has solved a lot of the deflection issues preventing cleaning shifts. I'm pretty sure a whole shifter assembly replacement like the MGW will be the same story (in regards to NVH and performance).
Old 11/16/13, 10:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bocefus
Barton 2 post solved my problems.
I installed the Barton two-post bracket on the OEM shifter and a Whiteline tranny mount insert. Shifting problems are a thing of the past.
Old 11/17/13, 06:55 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by conv_stang
I stuck with the stock shifter for 30k. The bushings will help a little. But won't cure all the quirks. I finally broke down and did the MGW. once you pull the factory shifter and see zip ties holding stuff together it's comical. The throws on the MGW are shorter. But the difference it makes is amazing. There's no more cold shifting issues, no bind what so ever. And the MGW is quieter and vibrates less than the stock one. $400 isn't cheap...but in the end I enjoy this over all the other mods I've done.
Amen to this. Glad you're loving yours.

Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
The OEM shifter bracket is strictly designed to reduce NVH; any replacement will introduce noise and harshness. I have the 2 post bracket and it has solved a lot of the deflection issues preventing cleaning shifts. I'm pretty sure a whole shifter assembly replacement like the MGW will be the same story (in regards to NVH and performance).
Jp what's up. Long time.

You are correct too. Although with mine, it was just a slight increase in nvh... Made it sound better even manlier lol

Quick Reply: Shifter bracket