Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

SCT or InTune

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/13, 03:10 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Give it time.
Look I understand anyone can have tach problems. And a few isolated problems is not the end of the world.

But with such an important firmware update - that failed across the board - and left so many stranded... don't you think SCT should have pulled out the stops for customer service until all their customers were back on the road??

And your defending their lack of service says what about your company?

Or maybe you haven't read the SCT complaint threads here and other forums.
Old 2/1/13, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so if you hate SCT that much what are you going to go with instead?
Old 2/1/13, 08:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

Look I understand anyone can have tach problems. And a few isolated problems is not the end of the world.

But with such an important firmware update - that failed across the board - and left so many stranded... don't you think SCT should have pulled out the stops for customer service until all their customers were back on the road??

Or maybe he isn't just a bench racer and actually knows people in the industry and knows history and facts. If sct sells 100k and 150 malfunction. And 15 of the 150 smear it all over every board, people that don't know better take it as some fact that every customer had to deal with. I have had and used multiple SCT products over the years with no issues. Many repeatable shops ONLY write on SCT software. My sct didn't fail, none of my friends did or have. Also did SCT not make right with every single customer? You can't expect a company to set up 24/7 assistance over night. They resolved the issue as quickly and efficiently as they could. No customer was left to their own devices and told they were **** out of luck. They had to wait on hold. ****, seriously. Sounds like a bunch of whining *****es to me.
Old 2/1/13, 10:36 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Kris Warwick
A) You can't expect a company to set up 24/7 assistance over night.

B) No customer was left to their own devices and told they were **** out of luck. They had to wait on hold. ****, seriously. Sounds like a bunch of whining *****es to me.

A) "Emergency - everyone works Sat and Sun till we get our customers taken care of due to our sending out a flawed firmware update!!" Is that so difficult??
Do you have any idea how many times I have had to work weekends to keep customers up and running? Best customer service practice means whatever it takes. Especially when you see those customers on a regular basis.
But the same applies to a tech company selling a tech product that people depend on for THEIR FREAKING CAR TO RUN! You are clueless friend. No offense, but you are clueless.

B) Many customers were left stranded all weekend. You don't know what you are even yacking about. Geez. And on hold for several hours is ridiculous - esp when some were then told to call back the next day! IIRC one TMS member was told on Friday to call back Monday after being on hold for hours, so he was stranded all weekend.

You and a few others are giving an emotional response to a real problem that was not addressed in a proper way by SCT. They failed in a spectacular way. A number of people have expressed their disgust here on TMS and other forums. Yet SCT remains silent.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/1/13 at 11:00 PM.
Old 2/1/13, 11:49 PM
GT Member

A) "Emergency - everyone works Sat and Sun till we get our customers taken care of due to our sending out a flawed firmware update!!" Is that so difficult??
Do you have any idea how many times I have had to work weekends to keep customers up and running? Best customer service practice means whatever it takes. Especially when you see those customers on a regular basis.
But the same applies to a tech company selling a tech product that people depend on for THEIR FREAKING CAR TO RUN! You are clueless friend. No offense, but you are clueless.

B) Many customers were left stranded all weekend. You don't know what you are even yacking about. Geez. And on hold for several hours is ridiculous - esp when some were then told to call back the next day! IIRC one TMS member was told on Friday to call back Monday after being on hold for hours, so he was stranded all weekend.

You and a few others are giving an emotional response to a real problem that was not addressed in a proper way by SCT. They failed in a spectacular way. A number of people have expressed their disgust here on TMS and other forums. Yet SCT remains silent.
SCT basically had a monopoly, before Diablo started sponsoring tuners to use their platform. Thats why they didn't care.
Old 2/2/13, 08:29 AM
GT Member

based on forums every XBOX and PS3 fail. every Microsoft Computer Blue screens, every HTC/LG/SAMSUNG phone crashes. Every 5.4 shoot spark plugs out, and every LT1 motor shorts out its ECM in the rain.

I know of at LEAST 60 people in my area that have SCT tuners and we had no issues. in 10 years ive never had an issue. The car a bought now came with a flash already in it and no tuner. SCT Gave me a NEW stock file and wiped my handheld so there was no over lap. free of charge. when my livewire bricked because i got it wet they replaced it for a very small fraction of the original cost. Me and many many others have had extraordinarily good Customer service from SCT for years on end. but if you trust your investment to Diablo sport software that is your choice. there is a reason Diablosport all but disappeared for a while. the percentage of people that had an issues is very very small. Did it suck for anyone that had to wait all weekend, yes, im sure it did. however, problems are not solved the second they arise. SCT is not a Major corporation like APPLE or HP, they do not have 500 programmers constantly working on program lines. Was there an issue, yes. Was is it resolved in a timely manner; by what i have read, yes. Maybe that just my perspective, but i would rather have a parked car for a few days than end up with bricked ECU or blown motor because someone rushed a fix. By all mean please spend your money with DiabloSport. I personally do not like there interface and software on the calibrators end. There is allot more to buying a tuner than just the end users handheld device. with that however, me and 99.9% of the people that have and use SCT handhelds have never had an issue.

Last edited by Kris Warwick; 2/2/13 at 10:02 AM.
Old 2/2/13, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well now you're commenting on Hypermotive..... Talk to any customer of mine and they will tell you that I will bend over backwards to provide the best support.
The question of this thread has gotten off topic. OP wants to know what we recommend, I prefer SCT. In the 10 years using them I have never had issues nor any of my customers have had issues.
There is no reason to take little jabs at me for stating what I recommend and why I recommend them. Little immature on your part.
Old 2/2/13, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

SCT!!!

But really, we are MODIFYING our cars. There is an implicit risk anytime a change is made to our vehicles. The bottom line is that if you don't want to be stranded, don't change anything on your car!

That being said, SCT is the standard for ford vehicles, period. That is no coincidence.
Old 2/3/13, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well heck, now I am more confused then ever.

I have both brands of tuner in my build list at AM, both with Bama tunes. Clearly I am only going to purchase one, and was leaning towards the InTune as it "supposedly" doesn't leave a trace. That is worth the extra
40$ if true, and that is the only selling point to me.

The SCT one I think I would need to be more careful with, as in making sure it is running the most current software, before flashing my cars computer.

As both companies have been around for a while, that doesnt seem a factor. It seems that the only issue is that the InTune device is newer with not alot of experience to back it up. The dozen or so reviews that I have read were mostly favorable. However it seems clear that the stronger canidate is SCT based on these forums.
Old 2/3/13, 03:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have a Sct bama tuner and no issues with it. Love it
Old 2/3/13, 06:13 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by V6 Driver
Well heck, now I am more confused then ever.

I have both brands of tuner in my build list at AM, both with Bama tunes. Clearly I am only going to purchase one, and was leaning towards the InTune as it "supposedly" doesn't leave a trace. That is worth the extra
40$ if true, and that is the only selling point to me.

The SCT one I think I would need to be more careful with, as in making sure it is running the most current software, before flashing my cars computer.

As both companies have been around for a while, that doesnt seem a factor. It seems that the only issue is that the InTune device is newer with not alot of experience to back it up. The dozen or so reviews that I have read were mostly favorable. However it seems clear that the stronger canidate is SCT based on these forums.
Diablosport has been around for a while...They just disappeared as *everyone* favored SCT. Suddenly this "InTune" starts popping up, and Diablosport is relevant again.

Although the only upside to it (for those that have a warranty) is the claim that it is untraceable. I haven't put a lot of time into looking for proof of that claim, but I haven't seen any made available either. They're not geniuses over there that are suddenly way more advanced than SCT...If it's actually doable, then SCT would've already been doing it or will be very soon now that they see there is a market for it and someone else is competing for it. Until proof is seen, I would remain very skeptical of this claim...as I highly doubt they're willing to back this claim by paying out for warranty work that gets denied as a result of a tune.
Old 2/4/13, 01:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Diablosport has been around for a while...They just disappeared as *everyone* favored SCT. Suddenly this "InTune" starts popping up, and Diablosport is relevant again.

Although the only upside to it (for those that have a warranty) is the claim that it is untraceable. I haven't put a lot of time into looking for proof of that claim, but I haven't seen any made available either. They're not geniuses over there that are suddenly way more advanced than SCT...If it's actually doable, then SCT would've already been doing it or will be very soon now that they see there is a market for it and someone else is competing for it. Until proof is seen, I would remain very skeptical of this claim...as I highly doubt they're willing to back this claim by paying out for warranty work that gets denied as a result of a tune.
For people who want "safe" tunes, mainly on the stock motor, the Intune should be untracable. I'm sure that if the PCM is sent to Ford, they'll know whats up. If I buy the tuner, I would use it to adjust for tire height.
If I use the SCT for adjusting gears or tires, the dealer will see that right away by the key-count, and assume the motor has been tuned as well.

If you roll in with a twinturbo, the Intune is not going to save you.
Old 2/4/13, 09:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ross
For people who want "safe" tunes, mainly on the stock motor, the Intune should be untracable. I'm sure that if the PCM is sent to Ford, they'll know whats up. If I buy the tuner, I would use it to adjust for tire height.
If I use the SCT for adjusting gears or tires, the dealer will see that right away by the key-count, and assume the motor has been tuned as well.

If you roll in with a twinturbo, the Intune is not going to save you.
With the module 9 codes ford will be able to tell how many time the key have been turned, if the revs has ever excited there hard limit, and how many times the computer has been reset. There is NO WAY that the intune is untraceable unless it simply doesn't not change anything about the ecu at all.
Old 2/4/13, 12:44 PM
GT Member

With the module 9 codes ford will be able to tell how many time the key have been turned, if the revs has ever excited there hard limit, and how many times the computer has been reset. There is NO WAY that the intune is untraceable unless it simply doesn't not change anything about the ecu at all.
Ford sure will. But what about on the dealer level?
Old 2/4/13, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ross
Ford sure will. But what about on the dealer level?
I've been privileged enough to speak with several ford technicians in which they said that no matter what the device is, they can't really tell if the car has been tuned. The only thing they can see is how many times the computer has been flashed. Of course they can assume that there is a tune, but if you argue that there isn't there really is nothing they can do to prove you wrong short of sending the computer off to corporate
Old 2/4/13, 01:47 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by G Wrecks

I've been privileged enough to speak with several ford technicians in which they said that no matter what the device is, they can't really tell if the car has been tuned. The only thing they can see is how many times the computer has been flashed. Of course they can assume that there is a tune, but if you argue that there isn't there really is nothing they can do to prove you wrong short of sending the computer off to corporate
Not true. Close but they don't have to send it off. Trust me, they can tell. I've been dealing with a #8 failure and denied claim for 3 months now.
Old 2/4/13, 01:57 PM
GT Member

Not true. Close but they don't have to send it off. Trust me, they can tell. I've been dealing with a #8 failure and denied claim for 3 months now.
If you're tuned why are you fighting the claim? I'm assuming that's why you say it's been going on for 3 months.
Old 2/4/13, 03:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by black5.0

If you're tuned why are you fighting the claim? I'm assuming that's why you say it's been going on for 3 months.
just because the car had a tune didn't mean it was the tunes fault. If it had blown the piston in half I wouldn't have fought it. But it was a Freakin ring land failure. I got screwed by Ford on this.
Old 2/4/13, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

just because the car had a tune didn't mean it was the tunes fault. If it had blown the piston in half I wouldn't have fought it. But it was a Freakin ring land failure. I got screwed by Ford on this.
I had the exact same thing happen to my car. I bought it used with no aftermarket parts on the car at all when it happened. It turned out that it did have a ford racing tune in it (I found that out because the strategy number wasn't recognized by SCT or diablosport). So I fought the dealer and they fixed it under warranty (which took 2 months) after I got the car back, I put it on our dyno and saw that the air fuel ratio was almost 14:1! I then had the computer flashed back to stock and had my shop, late model Racecraft, put a custom dyno tune in my car and now my air fuel is at 12:1. Much safer.
Old 2/4/13, 04:10 PM
Post *****

It was the tune's fault. We've seen plenty of pictures from tunes running too lean then detonation causing the piston to fail - particularly in the ring lands. Allegedly some of the early tunes also ignored the knock sensors. Hence Bama started their Tune Warranty - whereas Brenspeed let their customers eat it.

Hence Ford made changes to the piston with coatings and a different oil ring setup - thereby eliminating the need for the oil squirters on the 13.

I would never buy a used 2011 or 2012 5.0 with the original pistons since I don't know if its been tuned safely before or not.

Do a search - plenty of info available. We've been through this numerous times on TMS.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/4/13 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: SCT or InTune