5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Resonator Only?

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/14, 11:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done it on my 12 Mustang with Magnaflow comp series. Sounds fantastic. Sounds just like the GT 500 in the movie "Need For Speed movie!!!
Old 4/2/14, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
race bullets would probably be even quieter. whether you call it a resonator, a race bullet or a glass pack, they're basically all the same to a degree.
I was thinking the same thing, probably quieter.

I know it's hard to describe this but how did you your exhaust note and or volume change after you deleted the resonators with the GT500s? I'm excited to hear that I could get some of the deceleration burble back!

Also did you do over the axle pipes or did you have someone cut the resonators out?
Old 4/6/14, 12:30 PM
Banned

i went to an exhaust shop and had them cut off and remove the resonators, as OTA pipes are just a waste of money.

at idle there is no change, at mid throttle, it doesn't seem like a major change, just maybe an addition decibel of sound, and it feels stronger sounding. Under wide open throttle, that's where it screams.

It was worth the $60. But now with Borlas, I'm sure it gives them just a little more kick.
Old 4/9/14, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
i went to an exhaust shop and had them cut off and remove the resonators, as OTA pipes are just a waste of money.

at idle there is no change, at mid throttle, it doesn't seem like a major change, just maybe an addition decibel of sound, and it feels stronger sounding. Under wide open throttle, that's where it screams.

It was worth the $60. But now with Borlas, I'm sure it gives them just a little more kick.
Thanks Danielle...I'm seriously considering this. Did they weld in or clamp in a new piece of pipe?
Old 4/9/14, 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've thought about removing my resonators but I really don't want to cut up my factory exhaust and if most of the sound change is at WOT, then it won't benefit me very much since I have not driven at WOT yet and probably won't.

Wayne
Old 4/9/14, 07:31 PM
Banned

mine were welded on.

It's a cheap mod and worth it.
Old 4/10/14, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
I have not driven at WOT yet and probably won't.

Wayne
Why did you buy a GT? I couldn't imagine NEVER going wide open throttle. That's what it's all about, if even for a few brief seconds!
Old 4/10/14, 11:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Why did you buy a GT? I couldn't imagine NEVER going wide open throttle. That's what it's all about, if even for a few brief seconds!
It's okay. He's conserving fossil fuel. That's leaves more for the rest of us and...

...Al Gore!
Old 4/11/14, 06:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS

It's okay. He's conserving fossil fuel. That's leaves more for the rest of us and...

...Al Gore!
Manbearpig
Old 4/11/14, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Because I could. If you want to go WOT, by all means do it. There are too many cops around here to take that chance on the street. I also have the type of job that if I get caught doing something stupid, I can face disciplinary action at work. Not worth it to me.

Wayne
Old 4/11/14, 11:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Because I could. If you want to go WOT, by all means do it. There are too many cops around here to take that chance on the street. I also have the type of job that if I get caught doing something stupid, I can face disciplinary action at work. Not worth it to me.

Wayne
That's sad.

Buy a helmet. Go to the local drag strip and run that sucker! Don't let the bureaucrats **** you in the ***!

Life is too short!
Old 4/12/14, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
That's sad.

Buy a helmet. Go to the local drag strip and run that sucker! Don't let the bureaucrats **** you in the ***!

Life is too short!

I didn't buy this car to see how fast it can go or how fast I can make it go. Maybe when I was younger but not now. A guy I work with has a brother who has a 13 GT that he takes to the strip and he has already had to replace the rear end and drive shaft and some other stuff he has broken.

I'm not into replacing parts on a new car. That is just me.

Wayne
Old 4/12/14, 06:33 PM
Banned

I didn't buy this car to see how fast it can go or how fast I can make it go. Maybe when I was younger but not now. A guy I work with has a brother who has a 13 GT that he takes to the strip and he has already had to replace the rear end and drive shaft and some other stuff he has broken.

I'm not into replacing parts on a new car. That is just me.

Wayne
I can agree with this 100%.

By the time my '05 GTO hit 16k it was on it's third set of rear tires.

My Mustang is @ 33k, and though I've changed wheels on it, it's still basically on it's first set of tires.

By 33k on my GTO, the engine had been rebuilt and then built up after a spun rod bearing, the rear end had been replaced due to a bad bearing, the driveshaft and T56's tailshaft had been replaced due to a break on the dyno, the bolts to the driveshaft once sheared right off from a hard launch, and lastly had actually SNAPPED the shifter arm while shifting into 4th @ the dragstrip.

I can count on one hand how many times I've done any burnouts in the Mustang, and the stock shifter is so ****ty and notchy and has a hard time getting into 2nd gear when going WOT that I've probably spun the tires on the 1-2 shift like twice ever.

I might run the Mustang a little hard from time to time, but it gets treated significantly better than my GTO ever did, and the dividend is a car that's more enjoyable because it's not broken all the time. That being said, removal of the resonators is a mod that i'd do all over again.
Old 4/12/14, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wayne
I'm not talking about street racing or anything illegal. But I certainly go WOT on the occasional highway on ramp, etc. it's called enjoying your vehicle in the way it was intended.

To say you will NEVER ever go WOT just seemed a little strange to me. And a waste of the cars potential but hey everyone enjoys their cars in different ways so if you're happy that's all that matters.
Old 4/13/14, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not talking about street racing or anything illegal. But I certainly go WOT on the occasional highway on ramp, etc. it's called enjoying your vehicle in the way it was intended.

To say you will NEVER ever go WOT just seemed a little strange to me. And a waste of the cars potential but hey everyone enjoys their cars in different ways so if you're happy that's all that matters.

All of us enjoy our vehicles in different ways and just because I have a performance car doesn't mean I want or need to drive it to it's full potential. Just like thedivadanielle said in her post about her former GTO, I don't want to or can really afford to replace broken parts. These Mustangs are not that bullet proof. I get on my car now and again but just don't feel the need to go WOT. I can feel plenty of power without doing that. I've also seen plenty of people do the WOT thing and not see that cop and then get pulled over. I don't need that hassle.

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying your car like you want to. I'm also doing the same. Take care.

Wayne