Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Replacing my Roush CAI

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/13, 01:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes. People say this all the time but I have yet to see anyone actually dyno their car with a tune only and then with a tune plus CAI. I did. AED custom tuned my Boss with the stock intake and gained a peak of 7 hp on 91 octane. Later I added a Steeda CAI. Shaun revised the tune to account for the larger CAI and I gained another 13 for a total gain of 20 hp, so I gained roughly twice as much from the intake as the tune. Obviously results would have been better with better fuel but there is no denying the stock intake restricts power.

Last edited by 65sohc; 11/28/13 at 01:18 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 11/28/13, 05:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 65sohc
Yes. People say this all the time but I have yet to see anyone actually dyno their car with a tune only and then with a tune plus CAI. I did. AED custom tuned my Boss with the stock intake and gained a peak of 7 hp on 91 octane. Later I added a Steeda CAI. Shaun revised the tune to account for the larger CAI and I gained another 13 for a total gain of 20 hp, so I gained roughly twice as much from the intake as the tune. Obviously results would have been better with better fuel but there is no denying the stock intake restricts power.
Dyno numbers are meaningless. Too many variables. Track testing has shown no gains. And I'm talking trap speeds not times.
Old 11/29/13, 12:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

You have a Boss, breathes a lot better than a GT. and you did the dyno on the CAI later. Were the temps the same? Humidity? Exact same gas? All these effect the dyno. I have the JLT on mine. Reason? I wanted the painted version to match the exterior to brighten up the engine bay. We dynoed the car with the tune only and then added the JLT. picked up 3 the first pull and 4 the second on my GT. All within the margin for variation on the dyno. Unless you are just after dyno numbers it's not gonna make enough of a difference to notice on the track. If it's performance you want spend the $300 on an off-road h-pipe. You'll get more for your money
Old 11/29/13, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Remember also steeda is offering 20% off this black Friday on all their steeda products!!
Old 11/29/13, 12:55 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
You need to provide more information on your car whether it be a manual or auto etc etc. Also the stock CAI is the best. The tune would make the biggest difference. AED, VMP, LUND, or Steeda would all be good. No one else. And all the big name tuners give free revisions, not just Bama/American Muscle.
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Because they're all about making money without real world testing. Any CAI can be fudged on a dyno with the hood open and a giant fan blowing on it. The factory one is a true CAI with a sealed box.
This x1000%
Old 11/30/13, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

My most recent dyno went like this: I first dynoed with the Steeda CAI and AED tune and got 407. With the car sitting on the dyno I then reinstalled the stock CAI and factory tune. The result was 387. Both these results and Shaun's were corrected figures so the changes in weather and altitude were taken into account. The guys at Performance Engineering had no reason to fudge the figures. It was just a dyno day. They weren't selling me anything. And Shaun certainly wouldn't have had any reason to make his tune look weak. Furthermore I measured the relative restriction of the stock and Steeda CAI's with a manometer. At peak torque there is difference 16 inches of water of negative pressure between the two.
Old 11/30/13, 11:09 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
My most recent dyno went like this: I first dynoed with the Steeda CAI and AED tune and got 407. With the car sitting on the dyno I then reinstalled the stock CAI and factory tune. The result was 387. Both these results and Shaun's were corrected figures so the changes in weather and altitude were taken into account. The guys at Performance Engineering had no reason to fudge the figures. It was just a dyno day. They weren't selling me anything. And Shaun certainly wouldn't have had any reason to make his tune look weak. Furthermore I measured the relative restriction of the stock and Steeda CAI's with a manometer. At peak torque there is difference 16 inches of water of negative pressure between the two.
What others are saying is, if you did another test of just the tune with stock airbox what would your numbers be? Might be really close to CAI plus tune.