5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

PST CF Driveshaft vs. The Driveshaft Shop CF Driveshaft...

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/12, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PST CF Driveshaft vs. The Driveshaft Shop CF Driveshaft...

I have to make a decision very soon on a one-piece carbon fiber driveshaft. Both of these have the CV joint at one end of shaft. PST requires you to take a measurement, especially after all your suspension modifications are completed before taking those measurements. I've seen video footage of a GT500 with a DSS CF driveshaft installed. Anyone with a preference between the two? Anyone with some insight on them? Thanks.
Old 12/18/12, 04:35 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't heard of any issues with DSS period, I don't hear too much about PST in general. DSS makes some great products, I've ran a few aluminum DS and have great luck with them. Let us know if we can help you out at all.

Jason
Hypermotive
734-306-5231
Old 12/18/12, 08:51 PM

I've narrowed down my search to these two driveshafts, as well, so I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

The one thing I like more about the PST shaft is that it is a direct fit. The DSS uses an adapter plate on the axle end. However, the construction of the DSS shaft and their CV joint look a little better to me.

The PST (as you noted) requires a measurement which also raises some concerns for me. What happens if you decide to make changes to the suspension in the future?

I wonder if maybe(?) the DSS has a little more travel in the CV joint?

Anyhow, sorry I can't really be of any help. Lethal is offering 10% off and free shipping on Friday on DSS driveshafts, so I may just go that route. Decisions, decisions...
Old 12/19/12, 10:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by VTBoss302
The PST (as you noted) requires a measurement which also raises some concerns for me. What happens if you decide to make changes to the suspension in the future?

Anyhow, sorry I can't really be of any help. Lethal is offering 10% off and free shipping on Friday on DSS driveshafts, so I may just go that route. Decisions, decisions...
My questions exactly.
A driveshaft is likely my next mod...any info on this would be appreciated.
Old 12/19/12, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by VTBoss302
I've narrowed down my search to these two driveshafts, as well, so I'm interested to hear what people have to say.

The one thing I like more about the PST shaft is that it is a direct fit. The DSS uses an adapter plate on the axle end. However, the construction of the DSS shaft and their CV joint look a little better to me.

I, too, have those same concerns. I was almost set on going with the DSS carbon fiber shaft, until I came across PST's offering. What if I do decide to make some changes to my present suspension set-up...

I'm coming to the conclusion that not too many of us have an extensive knowledge of these parts... which is cool. I see quite a few out there with one-piece aluminum driveshafts.
Old 12/19/12, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only PST and DSS make one piece drive shafts. Everybody else is kind of fibbing. It isn't one piece if it has a sliding joint somewhere between the universal joints.
Old 12/20/12, 07:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
why do you want to go with a carbon fiber unit? Just wondering. Shaft masters makes a true one piece alum drive shaft, no sliding joint between ujoints. Dam good piece of work if I do say so myself.
Old 12/20/12, 07:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 1,087 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
why do you want to go with a carbon fiber unit? Just wondering. Shaft masters makes a true one piece alum drive shaft, no sliding joint between ujoints. Dam good piece of work if I do say so myself.
unless shaftmasters has a different model that I am not aware of, their shaft actually does have the sliding joint

ask yourself this question: if it does not have the sliding joint, how does it accomodate the change in length as the rear suspension moves up and down?
Old 12/20/12, 08:27 AM
Banned

Ok Gentlemen. Here is the scoop on our aluminum single piece driveshaft.

It is not incorrect nor misleading to call our driveshaft a single piece.

In the driveshaft industry a driveshaft is considered to be a single piece shaft when it does not have a center support bearing. This is standard industry terminology that has been used for decades.

If you are going to start saying ours is not a true single piece because it has a slip yoke and splined sleeve. Then you can conversely say that CV style shafts are also not true single piece shafts. CV style shafts use additional components as well. Some use adapter plates and those that do not still have CV assemblies on them. Notice I used the word "assemblies". The nature of an assembly implies that it is comprised of at least 2 components.
If people are going to claim that our single piece shaft is not a true single piece but yet claim that CV style shafts are. Then they are the ones who are "fibbing".

By the industry standard term of "single piece" both designs are true single piece shafts because they have no center support bearing. If you are going to single out the "slip section" of our shaft as the reason it is not single piece then you must also single out the CV assemblies and other components of a CV style shaft as being evidence that it is also not a true single piece. By this standard (not the industry standard mind you) there are no single piece driveshafts. If there were they would be known as "solid state".

Thanks,
David

Last edited by shaftmasters; 12/20/12 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12/20/12, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by shaftmasters
Ok Gentlemen. Here is the scoop on our aluminum single piece driveshaft.
David,

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

The shaftmasters website states that your driveshaft should not be used on the Boss 302 and I can't help but wonder why? I think that the Boss uses the same factory driveshaft as the GT. Any plans for a Boss specific driveshaft?
Old 12/20/12, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
unless shaftmasters has a different model that I am not aware of, their shaft actually does have the sliding joint

ask yourself this question: if it does not have the sliding joint, how does it accomodate the change in length as the rear suspension moves up and down?
Sorry I stand corrected. Its been so long since I installed my shaft masters shaft I had forgotten. Might I add problem free and much abused well as much as I could abuse it with out problem.
Old 12/20/12, 10:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
A personal preference, for the most part. I also like the manner in which a carbon fiber shaft fails. Minimal, if any, damage may occur with a carbon fiber shaft. I rather not have to install a safety loop for the OEM or Aluminum shaft.
Old 12/22/12, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I disagree Shaftmaster is two piece. They have had plenty of problems with vibration issues loose sliding joints and miss aligned universal joints. You can avoid all that with a DSS or PST.
Old 12/26/12, 05:24 AM
Banned

Not to hi-jack a thread about other vendors but we would just like to say.
Our sales record, customer satisfaction rate and customer service speaks for itself.
Old 12/27/12, 05:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by shaftmasters
Not to hi-jack a thread about other vendors but we would just like to say.
Our sales record, customer satisfaction rate and customer service speaks for itself.
But does it fit the Boss 302? Your website says no.