Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

ProCal tool vs Trackey

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/15, 05:50 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile ProCal tool vs Trackey

Which is better ProCal or Trackey, or do you need both for upgrade tune ?
Old 8/5/15, 02:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
ProCal tool vs Trackey

TracKey includes the ProCal calibration. The only downside is having to turn off the lopey idle every time you drive if it's not your bag.
Old 8/5/15, 05:04 PM
V6 Member

Haven't been on boards for awhile. Originally I thought we got shipped the key, then we registered it to, get a voucher to get it installed at dealer. I just ordered the procal tool and told follow instructions for registration, then get it installed. But No mention of key (red key).
Old 8/6/15, 01:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
ProCal tool vs Trackey

Originally Posted by SMOKE46
Haven't been on boards for awhile. Originally I thought we got shipped the key, then we registered it to, get a voucher to get it installed at dealer. I just ordered the procal tool and told follow instructions for registration, then get it installed. But No mention of key (red key).
Maybe I misspoke.

The TracKey includes a key and a voucher for a calibration. You would then need to go to your dealer and have the key cut and the calibration downloaded. The calibration that comes with the TracKey is the same calibration that comes with the ProCal, except it adds three features: Launch control, pit lane speed control and lopey idle. You switch tunes from stock to TracKey by switching keys.

The ProCal, I believe, comes to you on a handheld that saves your stock tune while loading the ProCal tune. You switch tunes by hooking the handheld up and choosing.

The Track Cal is just like the TracKey but in handheld form for folks with GTs made before the 2014.5s.

Performance wise, all three are identical.
Old 8/6/15, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Maybe I misspoke.

The TracKey includes a key and a voucher for a calibration. You would then need to go to your dealer and have the key cut and the calibration downloaded. The calibration that comes with the TracKey is the same calibration that comes with the ProCal, except it adds three features: Launch control, pit lane speed control and lopey idle. You switch tunes from stock to TracKey by switching keys.

The ProCal, I believe, comes to you on a handheld that saves your stock tune while loading the ProCal tune. You switch tunes by hooking the handheld up and choosing.

The Track Cal is just like the TracKey but in handheld form for folks with GTs made before the 2014.5s.

Performance wise, all three are identical.
This pretty much sums it up best. Assuming your car can use the TracKey, you just decide between the convenience of switching tunes by switching keys vs the option on TrackCal via ProCal tool that gives you the option of disabling Lopey idle as mentioned earlier.

I suppose you could say another advantage of ProCal is you get the device for future use. If you change rear end gearing or tire size with the TracKey you have to go back to Ford to have it reprogrammed with the adjustments.

Before deciding on either, there is a pretty deep thread on the TracKey on this forum with plenty of feedback.
Old 8/9/15, 04:01 PM
V6 Member

Update ! Parts guy told me one thing phone then shipped another thing. So I now hve Trackey & voucher need to install my quad exhaust then to dealer for programming. Thanx all for input
Old 8/10/15, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SMOKE46
Update ! Parts guy told me one thing phone then shipped another thing. So I now hve Trackey & voucher need to install my quad exhaust then to dealer for programming. Thanx all for input

Sounds right. Ford has to cut and program your key. It should cost a flat $100 labor + taxes. Don't forget to fill it with 91+ if you aren't already.

If you have more than 1 Ford dealership, find one that's done it a few times. If not, make sure to remind them they need to pull down the tune over wired internet. It almost never works over wireless. The directions point this out, but the most common issue ends up being they try to do it over wireless to a laptop. Test it before you go. If they did it wrong, it will act like it took the tune, but it won't have any features because it didn't do anything but recalibrate the wheelsize and gear ratio. It will even say "Trackey Enabled".

The fastest test is adjusting the launch control. Start the car with the trackey key. Hold the brake down and press and hold the "+ SET" button (cruise control). After a couple of seconds, if the tune is correct, the tach will sweep to 9K and back down to whatever the default is. Lopey idle requires the car be warmed up, and 130 seconds, so if it has been sitting it takes a while to get back up to temp.

Hope this saves you a multi-visit service call like I had where they thought they did it right, only to spend the day on the phone with Ford Racing telling them they were using wired internet when they were in fact using wireless.