Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

painting the rusty rear end

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/14, 10:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
painting the rusty rear end

OK. My title sounds disturbing but I've decided to paint the rusty rear end on my 12. Us pre 13 folks don't have the luxury of ordering the track pack to get one painted from the factory. I'm looking for paint recommendations as well as any tips. I appreciate any help that is offered.
Old 6/15/14, 11:13 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
POR15 paint.

I plan to do mine eventually, probably when I finally get around to installing the control arms, will probably just pull it out of the car and do it right.
Old 6/16/14, 05:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
POR15 paint.

I plan to do mine eventually, probably when I finally get around to installing the control arms, will probably just pull it out of the car and do it right.
This!!! My friend painted the underside of his Fastback with this. Looks great and prevents further corrosion.
Old 6/16/14, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep POR 15, best stuff on the market. Don't get it on yourself, takes forever to come off.
Old 6/16/14, 07:44 PM
GTR Member

Yeah, the POR15 paint seals the rusty surface from the air, so with no oxygen getting to it then no more oxidation can take place.
Old 6/18/14, 09:15 PM
V6 Member

Rustoleum primer and satin black spray paint worked great for me.
Attached Thumbnails painting the rusty rear end-image.jpg  

Last edited by NoSlo5oH; 6/18/14 at 09:22 PM.
Old 6/18/14, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by NoSlo5oH
Rustoleum primer and satin black spray paint worked great for me.
Wasn't your TP axle painted from the factory?
Old 6/19/14, 01:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It's just surface rust. On copper or bronze, it would be called "patina." It doesn't hurt anything, and unless you're showing your car, with mirrors underneath, why bother?
Old 6/19/14, 11:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Wasn't your TP axle painted from the factory?
Yes, but it definitely wasn't true to Ford's old slogan; "quality is job 1." They didn't even prime the rear from the factory and it began to develope rust with 6K miles on the clock. My car and is always garaged, not driven in bad weather. Here's a pick of the factory paint job to show you how crappy it was.
Attached Thumbnails painting the rusty rear end-image.jpg  
Old 7/1/14, 07:06 AM
V6 Member

One of the first things I did. Had 14 miles on my 2014. Was looking it over and noticed all the bare metal underneath. Put it up in the air and painted everything.
Old 7/1/14, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bodon
One of the first things I did. Had 14 miles on my 2014. Was looking it over and noticed all the bare metal underneath. Put it up in the air and painted everything.
Wish I had know about that when I picked up mine!

Mine had 8,000 kms when I painted mine. It was RUSTY! It looked like the undercarriage of a 2011. I was ashamed to take it in for oil changes

I crawled underneath and used rust converter then black rustoleum paint. It's by no means professional, but it looks better than it did
Old 7/5/14, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, but it definitely wasn't true to Ford's old slogan; "quality is job 1." They didn't even prime the rear from the factory and it began to develope rust with 6K miles on the clock. My car and is always garaged, not driven in bad weather. Here's a pick of the factory paint job to show you how crappy it was.
I think basing your opinion on Ford's quality on a painted axle is a little silly.

As with everything else, cost for 'extras' such as this are held as low as possible. I'm surprised they even paint the axle for TP models.
Old 7/9/14, 09:00 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RubyRedMCA_Beast
I think basing your opinion on Ford's quality on a painted axle is a little silly.

As with everything else, cost for 'extras' such as this are held as low as possible. I'm surprised they even paint the axle for TP models.
Call it whatever you like bud, but for what they charge for these cars everything on them should be properly coated to help preserve the metals. Who want's to see their new car rusting within weeks of buying it?
Old 7/9/14, 10:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A) but for what they charge for these cars

B) should be properly coated to help preserve the metals.
A) Yet you want your 400+HP, and all your electronic gadgets, GPS/NAV because "I can't read a map", and your rearview camera because "I'm too lazy to look behind me first or look over my shoulder", for under $40k...

B) You really think the pumpkin and axle tubes are going to rust through in your lifetime? Or the cars lifetime?

Some metal experts on here will tell you that the rust is a protectant in an area of the car that is difficult to keep painted/treated.

My '83 F150 4x4 has 254k on it and rust on the rear end hasn't harmed anything.

But I wonder if the 2015 IRS will be painted for the "had to have it/don't know how to drive without it/pinky's up" crowd?

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/9/14 at 10:43 PM.
Old 7/10/14, 05:09 PM
V6 Member

[QUOTE=cdynaco;6826096]A) Yet you want your 400+HP, and all your electronic gadgets, GPS/NAV because "I can't read a map", and your rearview camera because "I'm too lazy to look behind me first or look over my shoulder", for under $40k...

B) You really think the pumpkin and axle tubes are going to rust through in your lifetime? Or the cars lifetime?

But I wonder if the 2015 IRS will be painted for the "had to have it/don't know how to drive without it/pinky's up" crowd?

A. I wanted more than 400HP, so I modified my car to satisfy my horsepower requirements. I don't have a GPS unit, nor do I want one. Yes I can read a map. I do have a camera though and use it in conjunction with looking over my shoulder. I'm definitely not lazy; the fact that I took the time to remove my rear end and have it painted properly should tell you that.

B. I never said the pumpkin or axle tubes would rust through in my car's lifetime, because I know they won't.

C. I don't have any intentions of buying a 2015, therefore I could care less if the rear end will come painted.

D. There's no need to snark at me bud, I just shared my opinion about the crappy factory paint job, as well as my pics and what worked for me in hopes of helping someone. Lastly, it's quite obvious that several other mustang owners are not happy with their rusty rear ends either.

Chuckin' up the deuces

Last edited by NoSlo5oH; 7/10/14 at 05:11 PM.
Old 7/10/14, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

A) Yet you want your 400+HP, and all your electronic gadgets, GPS/NAV because "I can't read a map", and your rearview camera because "I'm too lazy to look behind me first or look over my shoulder", for under $40k...

Some metal experts on here will tell you that the rust is a protectant in an area of the car that is difficult to keep painted/treated.

My '83 F150 4x4 has 254k on it and rust on the rear end hasn't harmed anything.

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger Fx4 and the pumpkin was starting to rust through on the cover. There was an oil stain on the outside of the pumpkin and when I replaced the differential cover I could see the rust starting to penetrate on the inside.

Not really a big deal but it can happen. I had to get a new diff cover which was like $16.

The Ranger has 125k on it and is driven in the "salt belt".

Last edited by dave07; 7/10/14 at 08:36 PM.
Old 7/11/14, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It bothered me at first that the rear end and some of the other unpainted metal under the car was rusty, but as time goes on, I find I don't care as much. I don't normally drive this car in bad weather so I'm not too worried that it's going to get much worse. I may paint it at some point.

Wayne
Old 7/11/14, 01:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
It bothered me at first that the rear end and some of the other unpainted metal under the car was rusty, but as time goes on, I find I don't care as much. I don't normally drive this car in bad weather so I'm not too worried that it's going to get much worse. I may paint it at some point.

Wayne
Lol. This is where my brain is now. When I started this thread, I had crawled under her to do some work and it drove me nuts. I've been busy and haven't gotten around to painting it. Now I'm not in a rush. I guess out of sight out of mine. Until I work on her again. .......