Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Oil separator?

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/15, 08:18 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been following these oil separator threads since I had my track key installed on my 2014 GT/CS. I see that there are both drivers side and passenger side units available but from reading the threads it looks like most people are installing just the passenger side. Does the drivers side not need it as bad or why just install on the passenger side?
The following users liked this post:
tourer (5/3/16)
Old 4/7/15, 10:55 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Steeda, it does its job just fine. I had a teaspoon's worth of oil in it after a week of driving. I'm letting it go two weeks this time to see what it collects and am driving it fairly hard so I can get an idea of intervals. The only thing I don't like about it, is that the filter will need to be changed periodically, but it's like 7 bucks so I just ordered about 4 of them. I'd like to be able to go a month, which is when I usually check the oil, but we'll see. Unfortunately Steeda doesn't offer any filter change advice (intervals).

Last edited by CriticalmassGT; 4/7/15 at 10:56 AM.
Old 4/8/15, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I just installed the JLT on my car that I got cheap from a friend. I didn't check the fittings to make sure they were tight when I put it on there. That was Thursday night. Ran the autobahn at triple digit speeds cruising for about 30 minutes and parked it. I took a small trip last night and then drove to work this morning, 30 minutes. It was idling a little funny so I checked for a vacume leak and found the in-hose fitting was loose. I disconnected it and turned it. Result, broken fitting on that side. Luckily my wife brough the stock one to me. I opened it up and found a little more than a tsp of oil in it already! I think I'm just going to order the Moroso small one and sell just the canister for cheap and keep the stock connectors for the new can.
You must have gotten an older one if the fittings were plastic. If you called JLT and that was the case, they would have sent you replacement metal fittings free of charge.

Originally Posted by gjcavana
I've been following these oil separator threads since I had my track key installed on my 2014 GT/CS. I see that there are both drivers side and passenger side units available but from reading the threads it looks like most people are installing just the passenger side. Does the drivers side not need it as bad or why just install on the passenger side?
From what I have read the drivers side one is only required/suggested if/when you go FI.
Old 4/13/15, 09:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just ordered them from Jeg's. I actually got some hose from the junkyard here in 5/8" to help the flow a little bit. Turned out great.
Old 4/13/15, 11:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I have the Bob's, which seems to be working very well, but eventually I'm just going to switch to the JPC breather kit. Less maintenance and makes sure zero blow by gets into the intake!
Old 4/14/15, 12:49 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I have the Bob's, which seems to be working very well, but eventually I'm just going to switch to the JPC breather kit. Less maintenance and makes sure zero blow by gets into the intake!

Breakers may be fine NA but from my experience they are terrible for boost applications

I still smell oil vapor in my cabin even after getting rid of the breathers and changing the cabin air filter
Old 4/14/15, 05:24 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breathers are the safest route to go.
Old 4/14/15, 12:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Breakers may be fine NA but from my experience they are terrible for boost applications

I still smell oil vapor in my cabin even after getting rid of the breathers and changing the cabin air filter
Is that the only downside? Why can't we just block off those openings then? I don't see the purpose...especially if breathers will keep all of the blow by out of the intake. What's the point in filtering that opening on the valve cover??
Old 4/17/15, 08:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Is that the only downside? Why can't we just block off those openings then? I don't see the purpose...especially if breathers will keep all of the blow by out of the intake. What's the point in filtering that opening on the valve cover??
you need either PCV or Breathers one. If you close the valve covers you will blow every seal in your engine. What happens is some of the pressure during compression gets past the rings and goes into the crank case. Over time, especially in boosted applications, you will get excessive pressure in the crank case and that has two negative problems. 1. pressure will blow the seals in the engine and 2. the more pressure in the crankcase the harder it is for the pistons to move down so you make less power. The best solution is a vacuum pump setup on the crank case put those cost $$$$$
Old 4/17/15, 09:48 PM

I would swap like to use the Bob's seperator, with it's most effective can design. BUT no way I'm cutting my firewall insulation, mounting it on the firewall, and running that much plumbing. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if Bob's had an option for a Moroso style strut mount.

I also wonder why it is only suggested on the passenger side. Has anyone ever addressed this question? Since oil vapor lowers octane levels then wouldn't as much as possible eliminated from both banks? Seems like common sense to me, but what don't I know?
Old 4/17/15, 11:15 PM
GT Member

the ultimate kit does mount to the strut tower not the firewall. The firewall kit is another option. The drivers side does not suck up as much oil in NA applications because of where it draws it's vacuum from. The pass side gets it from the intake manifold the drivers side comes in in the air filter intake tube And not does not pull as much vacuum.
Old 4/20/15, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the heads-up! Exactly what I hoped it'd be; nice hoses, & nice fittings! I don't know how I totally missed that one, ordered and on it's way!!
Old 5/29/15, 11:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Does anyone know where to get either Braided hoses or Braided hose covering to match the OEM covering that is on the Radiator and other hoses? I am looking to re do my Catch can with matching hoses?
Old 6/5/15, 11:00 AM
V6 Member

I've had the JLT on mine for over 3 years and no issues with it. Only the passenger side is necessary to have one on.

2011 GT 401A, MT82, Araid CAI, BMR panhard bar, JLT oil separator, Pypes x-pipe, GT 500 axle backs, SR performance Clutch line.
Old 6/6/15, 11:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Does anyone know where to get either Braided hoses or Braided hose covering to match the OEM covering that is on the Radiator and other hoses? I am looking to re do my Catch can with matching hoses?
Their are plenty of colors and size braid hose and wire covers on Ebay.
Old 6/6/15, 11:20 AM

I just watched the Moroso video on their website of a car on the dyno with the oil separator installed and this one had a glass bowl to let consumers see what is happening, that sold me, I will be purchasing one asap. thanks guys for the varied parts suppliers on this thread.
Old 5/3/16, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I do have the JLT passenger side oil separator but after reading this post, I just went to Bob's Auto Sport's and bought his Passenger side oil separator. $114.95. Can I use the JLT on the drivers side rather than just throwing it away?
Old 5/3/16, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
What about those of us who were ingnorant of the existence of oil seperators? I have 8500 miles on my 2013 GT. Is there any type of cleaner (Put in gas tank) to clean oil residue.
Old 5/6/16, 06:45 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,732 Posts
Originally Posted by VADER
I would swap like to use the Bob's seperator, with it's most effective can design. BUT no way I'm cutting my firewall insulation, mounting it on the firewall, and running that much plumbing. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if Bob's had an option for a Moroso style strut mount.

I also wonder why it is only suggested on the passenger side. Has anyone ever addressed this question? Since oil vapor lowers octane levels then wouldn't as much as possible eliminated from both banks? Seems like common sense to me, but what don't I know?
I have the Bob's firewall kit and I didn't have to cut into the firewall insulation nor had to drill holes to mount it.. I mounted mine on the tab in front of the cowl on the driver's side.. Here's a couple of pics to illustrate..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/6/16 at 06:49 PM.
Old 5/7/16, 11:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Has anyone ever sent the captured fluids to an oil testing lab just to see exactly what has been prevented from re-entering your engine?
I would love to see that report, and projected positive/negative results on a scientific level rather than user speculation. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Bob's ultimate with its SS limes and anodized fittings. I'd also like to see one with a glass viewing port (a thin vertical strip to view how much has been captured. This would be great to assist in determining draining needs.).